Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Day 2 of no sugar: my new normal

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 7:40 PM
  • 6 Replies
I had a family get together today. Of course there was almost nothing I could eat. I found something, so I was content. I was a little tempted by the deserts, but it was really so much more manageable of a temptation than sugar has ever been for me! I've committed myself so much to this that it is easier, because in my mind there isn't an option.

After swimming at the in laws' house I checked their fridge to see if I could find a snack. Of course they buy a lot of processed foods. I stood there just looking and realizing I won't be able to eat that way again. This is a lifestyle change (I'll add back fruit, honey and more good carbs when I've broken my sugar addiction of course). I have to learn a new way of doing things. That old way of eating is gone for good.

I'm nervous about bringing my family on board once I'm more steady. My kids will struggle some to adjust. I also have family who love to give my kids processed crap at church and at grandma's house. Oh, and sugar loaded drinks. I'm a whimp when it comes to standing up to them. I just want to keep the peace. How am I going to enforce the changes?
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 7:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mygirls2012
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Congrats thats great so can you tell me do you drink coffee? i do and need it every morning lol but i need sugar, ive tried splenda and all that and dont like the aftertaste any suggestions? I know your just starting out but I want to do the same just got to figure out how to start. thanks and keep up the good work!! :)

missymackie
by Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:41 PM
I'm on the same boat with you, my in laws eat really bad and they always give my daughter crap food, it makes it so hard to change :(
JoJoBean8
by Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:46 PM
Have you tried coconut milk? The kind in the can. I use it to replace sugar and half and half.

Quoting mygirls2012:

Congrats thats great so can you tell me do you drink coffee? i do and need it every morning lol but i need sugar, ive tried splenda and all that and dont like the aftertaste any suggestions? I know your just starting out but I want to do the same just got to figure out how to start. thanks and keep up the good work!! :)

bekalynne440
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 10:05 PM
I actually cut out caffeine just over a week ago. All my caffeine sources had sugar, so I wanted to break that addiction before I tackled my sugar addiction. After a while I do plan to drink coffee on occasion, but with that I'm hoping to reacquire my taste for black coffee.

Quoting mygirls2012:

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Jun. 29, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Good luck. Day 3 is the worst. You can do it!

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jun. 30, 2013 at 6:56 AM

You have to be strong.  This matters to THEIR health too!

I had no problem letting my kids have fruit, and I explained to my parents/DH's parents that fruit was fine for them...and a cookie once in a while.  My mom is the WORST, though.  It took the doctor telling DS/DIL that my granddaughter must not have refined sugar (she has night terrors because she'll have a sugar buzz for the rest of the day) to get my mom convinced that cookies and candy and fruit juice are detrimental.

I encourage my kids (they're teens so telling them to do something just creates resistance) to limit their sweets to once a week, excluding fruit, and they've done pretty good.  As a reward for following the no-processed-foods rule in the house, I promised them pizza once a week, too, and I just have my pizza toppings on a large bunch of salad greens.  They're happy with that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)