Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

My fitness pal

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 11:30 PM
  • 20 Replies
I'm sure it's been asked, but here it is again. On MFP should I be eating back my exersize calories? It is set at 1200 daily, and after my workout it brings it to around 1600. I am so nervous about even touching 1600.
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jun. 29, 2013 at 11:57 PM
1 mom liked this

MFP is kinda weird with the calories.  1200 is too low for anyoen who isn't 100 lbs and 5 feet tall.  If you'd like, we can calculate how many calories you need each day, and you can use that number.  It may be, surprisingly, closer to 1600 than you think!  I eat probably about 2200 calories per day and I'm dropping weight (162 yesterday!).  We'll just need your height, weight, age, how much you work out, and whether or not you're breastfeeding.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

lind.shep
by Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:40 AM
5'4, 189, 24, 45 minutes of cardio 4x a week, 2 days of resistance training, one day of rest. And no I'm not breast feeding.
akmaldo
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Idk what workouts you're doing but I'm eating 1700-1800 a day and losing weight. You have to EAT to lose weight and MFP isn't the place to figure out your calorie intake. I have never met someone who didn't get 1200 on that thing. Lol what is your name on there?! :)
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this

BMR: 1665 (this is the minimum number of calories your body requires to function normally)

1665 x 1.55 = 2581 (this is the number of calories you would need to eat to maintain your current weight at your current activity level)

2581 - 500 = 2081 (to create a deficit)

To lose 1-2 lbs per week, consume 1665-2081 calories per day.

Quoting lind.shep:

5'4, 189, 24, 45 minutes of cardio 4x a week, 2 days of resistance training, one day of rest. And no I'm not breast feeding.

Suzanne

sarahw0513
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 4:12 PM

You'll get different opinions from everyone. Bottom line is if you don't "net" at least 1200 a day, MFP will tell you that you aren't eating enough, and I think that's correct. I try to just make sure that I'm hitting 1200 a day at least even after exercise calories.

akmaldo
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 4:13 PM
I think you're supposed to be eating AT LEAST your BMR everyday. I could be mistaken.

Quoting sarahw0513:

You'll get different opinions from everyone. Bottom line is if you don't "net" at least 1200 a day, MFP will tell you that you aren't eating enough, and I think that's correct. I try to just make sure that I'm hitting 1200 a day at least even after exercise calories.

sarahw0513
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Not exactly. I always use BMI-calculator.net ...it calculates your BMR mine is in the 1700s, then you multiply your BMR by a number depending on your activity level (1.2 for sedentary is what I do because I'm a SAHM) which gives you your daily caloric need to maintain your weight. It gives me 2067 to maintain my weight. To lose 1 pound of fat a week you have to create a 3500 calorie deficit, or a 500 calorie deficit per day. I like to lose 2 pounds per week, so I create a 7000 calorie deficit a week. So essentially I'd only need to eat 1000 calories, but I know that isn't healthy so I always eat 1200, which is the number MFP gives me. It works as long as I don't eat too little or too much and I exercise regularly and drink plenty of water. :)

However, I'm not a doctor or scientist. I always recommend that everyone consult their doctor when it comes to weight loss suggestions. Everyone is different and has different circumstances with their health, too.

-Sarah

Check out my blog for free printables, organizational tips, tips for WAHMs, to follow my health & fitness journey, & more! Also, ask me how to get physically AND financially FIT today! Add me on Facebook and shoot me a message there if you are interested in getting healthy and joining one of my fitness accountability groups.

sarahw0513
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 4:45 PM

also, MFP takes activity level into account too, I believe this is the same formula they use.

-Sarah

Check out my blog for free printables, organizational tips, tips for WAHMs, to follow my health & fitness journey, & more! Also, ask me how to get physically AND financially FIT today! Add me on Facebook and shoot me a message there if you are interested in getting healthy and joining one of my fitness accountability groups.

lind.shep
by Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:40 PM
Thank you! Seems strange to need to eat so much.

Quoting musicpisces:

BMR: 1665 (this is the minimum number of calories your body requires to function normally)

1665 x 1.55 = 2581 (this is the number of calories you would need to eat to maintain your current weight at your current activity level)

Quoting lind.shep:

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:28 AM

I know it seems counterintuitive, but if you don't give your body enough calorie to function properly, it starts shutting down normal processes in an effort to conserve calories, which will slow your metabolism and make you plateau pretty quickly.  You'll have more energy and get better results this way.  Good luck!  =)

Quoting lind.shep:

Thank you! Seems strange to need to eat so much.

Quoting musicpisces:

Quoting lind.shep:

Suzanne

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN