Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

4 miles 1hr 15 min

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 3:59 PM
  • 12 Replies
3 moms liked this
I am so very proud of my children. We went running this morning with my sister. I have 3 children, a 7 yo dd, 6 yo dd and a 2 yo ds. We ran/walked 4 miles in 1hr and 15 mins. With hills and everything. Awesome way to start the day.
What are the age limits if any for most marathons? My sister has run a few but I would l love to get the children in a couple.
Anyways, is that a good time for a 4 mile run?
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 3:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Erica_Smerica
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 4:17 PM

With a 7 year old a 6 year old and a 2 year old that's a great time. Marathons are 26.2 miles-- that's kind of a lot for kids that age. Most of them will require that the kid be 13-- some races even require that they be 18. But it will depend on the area that you live in.

Dorra
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 4:22 PM
BUMP!!! :)
Dorra
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 4:23 PM
I mean the 5k ones. I'm not even ready for the big ones yet. Lol

Quoting Erica_Smerica:

With a 7 year old a 6 year old and a 2 year old that's a great time. Marathons are 26.2 miles-- that's kind of a lot for kids that age. Most of them will require that the kid be 13-- some races even require that they be 18. But it will depend on the area that you live in.

MamaJessx3
by Gold Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 5:10 PM
A marathon is 26.2...definitely don't want to do that with kids!

5ks and maybe a 10k would be on for the older 2. The age limits vary, if its a family style run strollers and all ages are usually welcome.

As for the time, that's worked out to just over an 18 min/mile which is like a good moderate walking pace. That's good for kids that age, but definitely something to improve on :) maybe put the 2 year old in a stroller so you can work on running more or walking faster with the older two and then let the two year old out for short periods to run.

Sounds like you're off to a great start though! Keep it up :)
ballerina18
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Congratulations! I would love to get my 5 yr old interested in running! Right now I take her out on her bike as I jog behind her.

That's awesome your children joined you and your sister. How fun!

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:50 PM

I'd say with kids that's not bad!

*I walk 3 miles in an hour/ just under an hour when I walk...

Dorra
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:35 PM
He was in a stroller. Just had to stop and smell the flowers and pick flowers. Lol
We usually do 2.5 in 16 mins. We been running for a while. We walked today so the girls could catch their breath. Lol. This was our first time at this park and I think the hills got us all.

Quoting MamaJessx3:

5ks and maybe a 10k would be on for the older 2. The age limits vary, if its a family style run strollers and all ages are usually welcome.

As for the time, that's worked out to just over an 18 min/mile which is like a good moderate walking pace. That's good for kids that age, but definitely something to improve on :) maybe put the 2 year old in a stroller so you can work on running more or walking faster with the older two and then let the two year old out for short periods to run.

Dorra
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:38 PM
I thought about taking their bikes but this was our first time at this park and I didn't know how big the hills would be. I didn't want to have to push ds and bikes up the hills. Lol
It was a lot of fun. Smelling flowers and picking flowers. Chasing squirrels and playing in the creek.

Quoting ballerina18:

Congratulations! I would love to get my 5 yr old interested in running! Right now I take her out on her bike as I jog behind her.

That's awesome your children joined you and your sister. How fun!

MamaJessx3
by Gold Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Your kids do 2.5 miles in 16 minutes???? That's a 6 min/mile....no way

Quoting Dorra:

He was in a stroller. Just had to stop and smell the flowers and pick flowers. Lol

We usually do 2.5 in 16 mins. We been running for a while. We walked today so the girls could catch their breath. Lol. This was our first time at this park and I think the hills got us all.

Quoting MamaJessx3:

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Woo hoo!  Well, a marathon is 26.2 miles, but you can find kids 1 mile races and 5Ks (3.1 miles).  the minimum ages vary, but the websites will always tell you.

My son loves to run, too!  He's almost 5, and I really want to get him in a 5K (that we could do together).

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN