Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Diet while breastfeeding??

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:18 PM
  • 10 Replies

I just had my 3rd baby boy! Yay! He is almost 4 weeks old. I gained a significant amount of weight this time (50 lbs) and I want it off!! I am breatfeeding this time and of course I havent started really exercising yet. I think I want to try out the C25K challenge when I am able. I am wondering what sort of diet I can start now while I am breatfeeding. I assume I could just eat healthy but I am so confused as to what healthy eating is exactly because the info I get on the web is so conflicting. Any suggestions as to what is healthy diet for breastfeeding moms??

by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mckinneymom918
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:01 PM
Lots of moms add 500 calories to their budget for breastfeeding. I personally do weight watchers and add the extra points they suggest. I also would wait until you are at least 2-3 months pp before you start running. I had my 3rd in September and thought I'd be able to hit the ground running, but I had a bout of bleeding after It had been stopped for weeks, too much too soon! I also waited until she was almost 6 months old to start dieting and I lost 6 pounds very quickly, but I've only still lost 13lb (i only wanted to lose 15-16). I actually "recommitted" today after a horrible eating vaca last week, but decided that I should cut my points down to just half time nursing since she's eating more and more, and perhaps that was why I hadn't had any results for a month. So we'll see how that goes! I started running in April, the c25k program, I ran 3.1 miles today for the first time, and will run in my first 5k race on Thursday. Let yourself heal from the baby, a little longer than you think you feel ok, wait til you feel good! For me, since I started losing weight in the winter, the running was easier (i started once before i got pregnant) since I didn't have those extra 10+ pounds the carry around also. I think the 3rd I felt better faster, but it took longer to actually heal than the others. Just my 2 cents :)
CLEKate
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Has your doctor cleared you to exercise & lose weight?  Most won't do so until you are further post-partum---otherwise your supply is at risk.

WW makes a breastfeeding plan. 

What advice on healthy eating are you seeing that is confusing??

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I would highly suggest taking steps to clean up your diet.  I have a journal about it here. It's 100% safe while breastfeeding, and is actually IDEAL.  Kellymom.com and choosemyplate.gov are great resources, too.  Once your doc clears you for exercise, C25K is a great program!  Make sure you're getting in some strength training, which is at least as important as cardio.  It's important to work your whole body, not just your "trouble areas".

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

audmom1218
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Although I wouldn't go all out and start restricting calories or anything at this point, you can definitely start eating clean.  Cut out processed foods, and eat natural foods.  Think "if it once was alive, it's OK to eat."  Lean meats, veggies, nuts, fruit, etc. Shop the perimeter of the grocery store.  Drink TONS of water!! I've been nursing for 18 months now, and I average 1 gallon of water today!! It's the best way to keep your diet up. 

Remember, bad nutrition will effect you long before it changes your milk quality.  Starving mothers in Africa can provide perfect nutrition for their babies!! They may be malnourished, but the kiddos aren't.  

That being said, don't limit your quanity of food.  Eat when you're hungry, drink water non stop, and focus on high quality foods, and the weight will take care of itself.  You can definitely start light walking, leg raises, etc to start moving.  I would invest in a good baby wrap like a moby or maya so you can start getting the hang of hands free nursing.  Added bonus is that walking with the baby in a wrap burns a lot more calories than pushing a stroller!! 

funhappymom
by New Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:38 AM
2 moms liked this

I would hold off on doing too much until you are about 2 months post partum and your supply regulates. Then I would suggest exercising and cutting out processed foods. Eat clean foods, those that were once alive.

Abrastar
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Thanks for your input. It does help. I feel more pressure to lose weight faster with this being my third for some reason. I'm not sure why but maybe because I am in fear if I don't lose it this time I will carry it around forever! I appreciate your time in answering :) 

Amchutz
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I'm only on my first, but I have done the nursing mommy's AdvoCare 24 day challenge with myself and other nursing mom's who were on their 2nd and 3rd.  Anyway the group of us did it together and we all saw awesome results.  And it is ok to do while nursing... its a program developed just for mom's like us.  You should look into it. 

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Those kinds of products have NOT been proven safe, especially while breastfeeding.  It's not worth risking your baby's health to lose weight, when it can be done using measures that have been proven safe- eating real foods and exercising.  You won't see a lot of support in this group for products like this, just a heads up.

Quoting Amchutz:

I'm only on my first, but I have done the nursing mommy's AdvoCare 24 day challenge with myself and other nursing mom's who were on their 2nd and 3rd.  Anyway the group of us did it together and we all saw awesome results.  And it is ok to do while nursing... its a program developed just for mom's like us.  You should look into it. 

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Amchutz
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:49 AM

She asked for ideas and I told her what I did that worked.  The products consist of viatmins and minerals.  It's not some crazy stuff.  If you take the products to the doctor and ask him for the ok, he will ok it.  The products are safe.  That's exactly what me and my 3 friends did and we ALL got the ok.  

You do not have to sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now.  But you can get healthy and in shape and have kids all at the same time.  I would never do anything harmful to my child and would never share something that would harm yours.  

MaiasMommy619
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I just say to eat healthy and eat clean. No processed foods, no added sugars or aweetners. Lots of fruit and veggies and tons of water.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)