Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Day 4 of no sugar- weakness

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 10:19 PM
  • 11 Replies

I've been feeling weak today, both in energy and in resolve.  I've been beyond exhausted today and have barely done the neccesities.  I've been grouchy because of it too.  On top of that my kids have greatly been acting up today.  

I've been craving sweets, to the point where I started to waiver.  I did have a banana today (I've been trying to aviod fruit in the first 2 weeks to change my desire for sweeter foods).  I felt better after my banana though, lol. 

My parents are visiting from out of state later this week.  For the most part it should be fine, but they are taking the family to Chuck E Cheese (for the kids).  It's going to be hard for me, but I want my kids to enjoy themselves.  They haven't seen grandma and papa since November.  I love pizza!  My taste for healthier foods isn't very developed yet, if you know what I mean.  Saying "no" to it will be hard.  Here's to hoping they have a great salad bar.

by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 10:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mamato4brats
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Hang in there! I let myself have a splurge meal every now and again. I just be sure to exercise more that day to e sure Italy under my calorie goal.

bekalynne440
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:58 PM

I can't let myself splurge yet.  I need to get the hang of this new way of eating and cutting out processed sugar thing.  Once I'm to that point I'm okay with an occasional splurge.

Quoting Mamato4brats:

Hang in there! I let myself have a splurge meal every now and again. I just be sure to exercise more that day to e sure Italy under my calorie goal.

audmom1218
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Make sure you are getting enough calories and lots of protein while you are doing this.  I'm concerned about your physical symptoms. It may be withdrawl but it could also be your body telling you somehting isn't right. 

bekalynne440
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:17 AM

I'm pretty sure it's just withdraw.  I am eating a lot more protein now than I did before.  Also when before I would reach for caffeine, now I reach for protein.  I wasn't tracking my calories at first, but then I was curious.  I've started watching it a little more closely and am on track with my calorie count.  

Quoting audmom1218:

Make sure you are getting enough calories and lots of protein while you are doing this.  I'm concerned about your physical symptoms. It may be withdrawl but it could also be your body telling you somehting isn't right. 

dee06
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:24 AM

The only reason I let my kids go to Chuck E Cheeses is because of the salad bar. I know you say no fruit but raspberries always helped me when that craving came along

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:31 AM

Get some healthy fat like an avocado, full fat coconut milk, or even take coconut oil by the spoonful.  Your body is going to switch over to burning fat very, very soon and you need to "train" it by giving it fat.  Been there, done that.

Sometimes you DO need a few carbs to give your body what it's screaming for RIGHT NOW.  A few crackers, a handful of fruit (and a banana is two servings of fruit, btw), a glass of milk won't hurt and won't necessarily rekindle your cravings for carbs and sugar.

bekalynne440
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:48 AM

I have started drinking some almond milk again (I had to pick up some without added sugar; our family drinks almond milk because of sensitivities/intolerances).  

What do you mean by this part in red?  Can you explain this please?  I do know I've lost 7 lbs in the last 5 days!  =)

Quoting michiganmom116:

Get some healthy fat like an avocado, full fat coconut milk, or even take coconut oil by the spoonful.  Your body is going to switch over to burning fat very, very soon and you need to "train" it by giving it fat.  Been there, done that.

Sometimes you DO need a few carbs to give your body what it's screaming for RIGHT NOW.  A few crackers, a handful of fruit (and a banana is two servings of fruit, btw), a glass of milk won't hurt and won't necessarily rekindle your cravings for carbs and sugar.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Our bodies need fuel for energy.  In order of ease of use, this is what it can use for fuel:  glucose (from carbs/sugar), fat (can turn to ketones, a much more efficient energy than glucose), or protein (not a good idea because you can burn muscle mass which causes a whole host of problems, but it's a last resort when the body needs energy).

If you cut back on the amount of carbs/sugar you eat, you HAVE to feed your body fat so that it has fuel.  (Excess dietary fat doesn't necessarily contribute to our body fat, unlike excess glucose.)  If your body doesn't have fuel, it will feel weak, you won't have energy, you'll have severe mood swings, you may even feel ill.  While your body is switching from burning carbs for energy to burning fat, you'll probably experience these same symptoms, but your body will not let you down as long as you are giving it fuel...it will switch to burning fat for fuel, known as ketosis (NOT dangerous but it's often confused with ketoacidosis which IS very dangerous.) 

Following a lower carb plan means you usually don't have to count calories, as long as it's done correctly.  You have to eat plenty of fresh/frozen veggies, keep meat to normal portion sizes, and skip the foods with nutritional voids like bread, pasta, and cereal...which also happen to have a hefty carb/calorie load when compared nutritionally to other foods. Don't be afraid of fats...they are providing you with energy, maintaining a healthy nervous system, and allowing your body to use the fat-soluble vitamins you need.

You don't want to eat unhealthy fats.  That's why I suggested full fat coconut milk, coconut oil, avocados....all contain very healthy fats.  Eggs (preferably from free-range hens, but eggs are still good even if not) are another source of healthy fat, and cheese.  Olive oil in salad dressing is good.  Natural forms of fat are what you want to look for, not the artificial ones like margarine or vegetable oils or any hydrogenated fats.

I hope I didn't create more confusion!

Quoting bekalynne440:

I have started drinking some almond milk again (I had to pick up some without added sugar; our family drinks almond milk because of sensitivities/intolerances).  

What do you mean by this part in red?  Can you explain this please?  I do know I've lost 7 lbs in the last 5 days!  =)

Quoting michiganmom116:

bekalynne440
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this
That makes sense. I'm learning from a friend of mine who follows that way of eating, and she's told me a little about good fats too.

I have been eating plenty of nuts (they help when I suddenly start feeling tired), some natural peanut butter, eggs and cheddar cheese. I'm still trying to learn about other sources and how to incorporate them.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Our bodies need fuel for energy.  In order of ease of use, this is what it can use for fuel:  glucose (from carbs/sugar), fat (can turn to ketones, a much more efficient energy than glucose), or protein (not a good idea because you can burn muscle mass which causes a whole host of problems, but it's a last resort when the body needs energy).

If you cut back on the amount of carbs/sugar you eat, you HAVE to feed your body fat so that it has fuel.  (Excess dietary fat doesn't necessarily contribute to our body fat, unlike excess glucose.)  If your body doesn't have fuel, it will feel weak, you won't have energy, you'll have severe mood swings, you may even feel ill.  While your body is switching from burning carbs for energy to burning fat, you'll probably experience these same symptoms, but your body will not let you down as long as you are giving it fuel...it will switch to burning fat for fuel, known as ketosis (NOT dangerous but it's often confused with ketoacidosis which IS very dangerous.) 

Following a lower carb plan means you usually don't have to count calories, as long as it's done correctly.  You have to eat plenty of fresh/frozen veggies, keep meat to normal portion sizes, and skip the foods with nutritional voids like bread, pasta, and cereal...which also happen to have a hefty carb/calorie load when compared nutritionally to other foods. Don't be afraid of fats...they are providing you with energy, maintaining a healthy nervous system, and allowing your body to use the fat-soluble vitamins you need.

You don't want to eat unhealthy fats.  That's why I suggested full fat coconut milk, coconut oil, avocados....all contain very healthy fats.  Eggs (preferably from free-range hens, but eggs are still good even if not) are another source of healthy fat, and cheese.  Olive oil in salad dressing is good.  Natural forms of fat are what you want to look for, not the artificial ones like margarine or vegetable oils or any hydrogenated fats.

I hope I didn't create more confusion!

Quoting bekalynne440:

Quoting michiganmom116:

002fitmom
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:34 PM

I completely agree with michiganmom116...your body needs fuel to keep your energy levels up.  Learn to distinguish from the good and bad with both sugars and fats.  One thing that has really helped me with my clean eating is Shakeology...if you would like more info on that please message me.  It's a natural meal replacement in a shake that has that has helped with my weight loss, has helped with my sugar cravings and has helped balance my hormones...it has been backed by the American Diabetes Association.  This may help you fill in the gap of keeping the diet clean.  I wish you much luck...since going on a clean diet I feel so better!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)