Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Is this normal?

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:52 AM
  • 15 Replies

Hey ladies,

So yesterday morning I was 158, last night about 9pm I was 160, this morning I am 158! WTH!? I'm trying to follow everyone's advice and eating more so I just want to make sure that this fluctuation isn't crazy. I'm finally around 1450 calories, I know I should be closer to 1500 but when the scale goes up it kinda freaks me out :/ I'm thinking that I shouldn't weigh myself so often. How often do you ladies weigh yourselves?

by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Noni2319
by Chrissy on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:54 AM
Yes, it's normal for your weight to fluctuate throughout the day. If you are going to do weigh ins its best to just do them once a week, at the same time of day.
CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Yes, it's perfectly normal for your weight to fluctuate not only during the day but from day to day as well.  My advice - do not weigh yourself so much.  Keep it at about once a week if you have to.

LalasMommy1125
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Thank you!

Quoting LalasMommy1125:

Hey ladies,

So yesterday morning I was 158, last night about 9pm I was 160, this morning I am 158! WTH!? I'm trying to follow everyone's advice and eating more so I just want to make sure that this fluctuation isn't crazy. I'm finally around 1450 calories, I know I should be closer to 1500 but when the scale goes up it kinda freaks me out :/ I'm thinking that I shouldn't weigh myself so often. How often do you ladies weigh yourselves?

LalasMommy1125
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Yes I going to go to once a week so I can stop have mini freak outs! Thanks :)

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

Yes, it's perfectly normal for your weight to fluctuate not only during the day but from day to day as well.  My advice - do not weigh yourself so much.  Keep it at about once a week if you have to.

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:05 AM

LOL!  No problem. I once had a client who would weigh herself twice a day every day and every single day I would get frantic e-mails because the scale didn't budge or it went the wrong way.  When she finally stopped obssessing about the scale, she finally started getting the results she wanted.  We can sometimes be our own worst enemy.

Quoting LalasMommy1125:

Yes I going to go to once a week so I can stop have mini freak outs! Thanks :)

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

AmyLynn5398
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:40 AM

I had lost 30 lbs a little over a year ago.  For the first few months I actually did not weight myself at all because I thought my husband threw out the scale.  I would see results in my clothes and I felt so healthy so it was enough to keep my going.  I eventually found the scale in the garage and then started weighing myself every two weeks.  If it was close to my period I would wait and weight myself a week after my period due to water retention. 

In my anatomy class I recently took I learned that when you step on the scale and do not like what you see you release the stress hormone cortisol which will actually make you want to satisfy yourself and feel good again.  Which is why it is so easy to find comfort in food since it will fulfill that.  It is not good to weight often, only to keep yourself in check.  ALSO, keep in mind a few things...Muscle weights more than fat and takes up less room, which is why you can see results in your clothes before you will see on scale.  Also if you are exercising on a regular basis, which your body craves (consistency and intensity), then you will retain water so your body can prepare for the workout.  Very normal and necessary! 

Are you exercising at least 3 to 5 times a week?  Are you getting in at least 2 strength training twice a week?  Are you watching your sugar in take?  Sugar is more of an enemy then actual calories.  I was eating a  2000 calorie diet, exercising 4 to 5 times a week at least a hour each time and eating lean proteins, veggies and fruits and had NO problem losing weight. 

housewifehell
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:43 AM

I can fluctuate 5 lbs from morning to evening so I wouldnt be worried but I know the mental frustration that comes with it. I only weigh myself about once a week bnecause of the obsession I can get with the scale.

LalasMommy1125
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:55 AM

I have actually loss several inches so that does make me feel a lot better. I use my fitness pal and try to stay around the sugar range that they have on there, however if I put a banana in my smoothie I always exceed my sugar limit.

I exercise 5 days a week, 3 days 45 min elliptical or zumba on the wii and 2 days strength.

The week of my period I gained 5lbs! I realized to never weigh myself during that time.

Thank you for all of your advice.

Quoting AmyLynn5398:

I had lost 30 lbs a little over a year ago.  For the first few months I actually did not weight myself at all because I thought my husband threw out the scale.  I would see results in my clothes and I felt so healthy so it was enough to keep my going.  I eventually found the scale in the garage and then started weighing myself every two weeks.  If it was close to my period I would wait and weight myself a week after my period due to water retention. 

In my anatomy class I recently took I learned that when you step on the scale and do not like what you see you release the stress hormone cortisol which will actually make you want to satisfy yourself and feel good again.  Which is why it is so easy to find comfort in food since it will fulfill that.  It is not good to weight often, only to keep yourself in check.  ALSO, keep in mind a few things...Muscle weights more than fat and takes up less room, which is why you can see results in your clothes before you will see on scale.  Also if you are exercising on a regular basis, which your body craves (consistency and intensity), then you will retain water so your body can prepare for the workout.  Very normal and necessary! 

Are you exercising at least 3 to 5 times a week?  Are you getting in at least 2 strength training twice a week?  Are you watching your sugar in take?  Sugar is more of an enemy then actual calories.  I was eating a  2000 calorie diet, exercising 4 to 5 times a week at least a hour each time and eating lean proteins, veggies and fruits and had NO problem losing weight. 

ballerina18
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I might weight myself once a week, but really it's more like once every two weeks.

Get off the scale and focus on how good you feel after your workouts! =)

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Agreed, you can't weigh at different times of the day.  Your weight fluctuates greatly.  The most reliable time is first thing in the morning, right when you get up, after you use the restroom, naked.  Those are the only times I would say "count".  Otherwise you'll make yourself crazy!  If you tend to get scale obsessed, I would suggest staying away from the scale as much as you can.  Weigh in no more than once a week- once a month may be even more ideal.  I weigh myself most mornings, but I also accept that my weight will fluctuate, and I don't put my self-worth or how the day will go into what that number says.  Remember that the scale is only one tool by which your efforts can be measured.  I find that clothes are a great way to go, some people measure (I wish I'd started when I began my journey!!), pics are great, etc.  Just feeling better is very rewarding!  =)

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN