Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

I am so depressed and can not get to the gym because of it, how do I get past it?

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:28 AM
  • 20 Replies

The sad part is I have been losing some weight and I only have 8 lbs to go to get to my original weight loss.  A year ago I had lost 30 lbs from my pregnancy.  But once my twins started kindergarten this year I was missing my morning classes since I had to wait for the bus to pick up the kids.  I quit the gym and joined a new one that had better hours for the classes I liked to take.  I had gained 12 lbs during the transition. 

It is a long story why but I am depressed almost every day.  I would consider it a mild depression but its just enough to keep me home.  I did not feel like this before so I am not sure how to get past it.  You would think my progress would keep me motivated but it isn't enough.  So my fear is I will gain the weight back and lose the progress I have made.  Any suggestions would be great! I skipped this mornings workout class Bootcamp that I love to take because of it!!bad

by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
livndaybyday
by Alicia on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this
I understand how you feel. I've had depression for years. What you're describing does not sound mild. Please go see a doctor.
Are things better now that school is out for the summer? Do you have a plan for the fall when your kids will be in school all day?
melner18
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:38 AM
It does sound more than mild. Not wanting to leave the house is a big indicator. In addition, it seems to be impacting your life (in a negative way) - also a sign that the Depression is more than mild.

I think you need to seek professional help - probably from your physician and a therapist.

Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ame85
by Amber on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:53 AM
3 moms liked this
I look at the gym as "me time" not necessarily as a workout. Some days the kids drive me batty and it's a relief to go do something that's just for me. I take my tablet and watch my favorite shows on Netflix while I run. Or if I feel tired and just want to get some easy cardio I hop on the recumbent bike and read. Just get out there, don't think about it!
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Quoting melner18:

It does sound more than mild. Not wanting to leave the house is a big indicator. In addition, it seems to be impacting your life (in a negative way) - also a sign that the Depression is more than mild.

I think you need to seek professional help - probably from your physician and a therapist.

Good luck!

Agreed.  I suffer from depression as well.  I find that working out and eating right REALLY help my depression, and sometimes I do have to force myself to leave the house.  I actually recently went on Wellbutrin because I'm going through a high-stress period right now (nursing school), and it's more than diet and exercise alone can handle.  I would highly recommend talking to a professional, even if it's just for counseling (which I find extremely beneficial).  Groups can be good, too. 

Hugs, mama.  Depression sucks, but there is help available.  YOU ARE NOT ALONE.  =)

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

itsm3
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:51 PM

you have to get your depression treated first.  i suffered from depression for a while too and was on meds + talk therapy with a psychiatrist for almost 2yrs. 

AmyLynn5398
by Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Thanks ladies for your input!  I am actually in the process of looking into talking to someone.  I worded it wrong when I said I stay home.  I meant I stay home from the gym but I still will leave to do other things.  However it does take me several hours in the morning TO leave the house because of the sadness but I do eventually leave.  Again this morning it is a battle to get to the gym.  I USE to just go and did not think about it.  Wierd how powerful your mind can be. 

randomosityblog
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 9:41 AM
2 moms liked this

Honestly you just get up and go. I have severe depression and deal with it on a daily basis, but I make myself go to the gym even though I hate it.

randomosityblog
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Quoting AmyLynn5398:

Thanks ladies for your input!  I am actually in the process of looking into talking to someone.  I worded it wrong when I said I stay home.  I meant I stay home from the gym but I still will leave to do other things.  However it does take me several hours in the morning TO leave the house because of the sadness but I do eventually leave.  Again this morning it is a battle to get to the gym.  I USE to just go and did not think about it.  Wierd how powerful your mind can be. 

Get your gym clothes on. It helps me a little.

wahmx3
by Shelley on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:43 AM

hope you take the advice given and see a doctor. It sounds like you need professional help if you don't want to leave the house because of it.

Quoting melner18:

Good luck!

Hollybriann
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:31 AM
Just go. Get up and go. One foot in front of the other. I know it's easier said than done. But u gotta just get up and go. And once ur out and around ppl you will become more happy. Talk to people you see maybe that will make u feel better too.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)