Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Good recipes for meat lovers?

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:16 PM
  • 18 Replies

Hi. I'm Tanya. I'm new to the group. So far I have lost 15 pounds but I still have another 35 to go. 

My biggest hurdle is meats. I am very much a meat lover, especially beef. I've tried recipes that use small amounts of beef instead of a whole burger or steak at one meal, but most of them are pasta dishes. I can only eat so much pasta. 

So does anyone have any good recipes that are either meat free or not pasta dishes? It doesn't have to be beef, I love chicken and will eat pork or even beans, but I don't like seafood or rice. So I know that makes it a bit more difficult, lol. Thanks in advance!

by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mamato4brats
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Check out Pinterest. I search for low calorie meatloaf, or whatever. I have found lots of awesome recipes.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this

This is a SUPER simple, SUPER fast dinner to throw together! It does take 30 minutes to bake. My family LOVED it!!! I added a tossed salad and some green beans to round it out.

Bruschetta Chicken Bake

• 1 14 1/2 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced OR 1 tsp. minced garlic
  • 1 6 oz. box chicken flavored stuffing mix
  • 1/2 c. water
  • 1 1/2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized chunks
  • 1 tsp. dried basil
  • 1 c. shredded mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place tomateos with liquid in medium bowl. Add garlic, stuffing mix and water; stir just until stuffing mix is moistened. Set aside

Place chicken in 13 x 9 baking dish; sprinkle with basil & cheese. Top with stuffing mixture. Bake 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:18 PM

very versatile, since it can be eaten as is, with rice, on a tortilla, or over salad greens.

Spanish Chicken

• 1 1/2 to 2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 2 tsp. paprika
  • 1 tsp. dry minced garlic
  • 1 tsp. thyme
  • 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 large green or red bell pepper, cut into strips
  • 1 large onion, cut into 1/2 inch thick wedges
  • 15 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes

Cut chicken into 6 to 8 pieces or into 1/4 inch thick strips.  Mix paprika, dry minced garlic, thyme, and black pepper, and stir about 1/3 of the mixture into the chicken.
Heat olive oil in a skillet.  Add seasoned chicken and brown.  Add pepper strips and onion wedges and cover; cook until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.   Add tomatoes and as much of the red pepper flakes as desired.  Stir until heated through and serve.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Tuscan Chicken Stew

Tuscan Chicken Stew

• 1 1/2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 1 medium onion, cut into 1/2 inch thick wedges
  • 1/2 tsp. fennel seed
  • 15 oz. can cannellini or other white beans, drained
  • 15 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1/4 c. red wine or water
  • 1 tsp. dried basil
  • 1 tsp. dried minced garlic
  • 1 tsp. dried rosemary
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
  • 6 oz. baby spinach leaves

Directions

1. Heat oil in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook and stir 10 minutes or until browned. Remove chicken from skillet. Add onion and fennel seed; cook and stir on medium heat 5 minutes or until tender.
  2. Stir in beans, tomatoes, red wine, basil, minced garlic, rosemary, salt, oregano and pepper. Bring to boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 3 minutes. Return chicken to skillet.
  3. Stir in spinach. Cover. Cook 5 minutes longer or until spinach is wilted.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Zucchini Lasagna (Lasagne) - Low Carb

By Marg (CaymanDesigns) on September 14, 1999

Photo

Photo by Marg (CaymanDesigns)

• timer
  • Prep Time: 20 mins
  • Total Time: 50 mins
  • Servings: 4

About This Recipe

"Great for anyone going low carb OR who has so many zucchini, they don't know what to do!! :) We found the sauce to be very mild. I think it would be better with twice as much garlic. I boiled my zucchini slices for about 3 minutes so they were partially cooked. I wanted to make sure they were soft in the finished dish or I knew the kids wouldn't eat them. ;) The cottage cheese provides a slightly tangy note. I think we would have preferred ricotta, but that is personal taste. I use my 11x7 baking dish and got 6 pieces the size of what you see in my photos. Both of the guys ate two so it fed 4 of us, and I double the meat. Adjust the recipe accordingly for your family."

Ingredients

• 2 1/2 cups zucchini, sliced 1/4 inch thick ( about 2 medium)
    • 1/2 lb lean ground beef ( I use 1 lb.)
    • 1/4 cup onions, chopped
    • 2 small tomatoes, cut up
    • 1 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
    • 1 garlic cloves, minced
    • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
    • 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
    • 1/4 cup water
    • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
    • 1 eggs
    • 3/4 cup low fat cottage cheese ( or low fat or fat free ricotta)
    • 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded ( I use 8 oz. divided)
    • 1 teaspoon flour

Directions

1. Cook zucchini until tender, drain and set aside. Fry meat and onions until meat is brown and onions are tender; drain fat. Add next 8 ingredients and bring to a boil.
  2. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered 10 minutes or until reduced to 2 cups.
  3. In small bowl slightly beat egg.
  4. Add cottage cheese, half of shredded cheese and flour.
  5. In (1 1/2-qt.) baking-roasting pan arrange half of the meat mixture. Top with half of the zucchini and all the cottage cheese mixture. Top with remaining meat and zucchini.

Directions

1. Bake uncovered at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes.
  2. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 10 minutes longer.
  3. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Steak Pizzaiola

1 1/ 4 pound boneless sirloin steak about 1 inch thick, excess fat trimmed 

salt 

2 Tablespoons olive oil

4 cloves of garlic, smashed 

1 large onion sliced 1/4 inch thick

2 bell peppers, 1 red 1 yellow sliced 1/4 inch thick

4 jarred pepperoncinis, drained and thinly sliced

1 15 oz. can crushed tomatoes

1/2 teaspoons parsley

pinch of red pepper flakes

2 Talespoons fresh parsley chopped 

Sprinkle the steak all over with salt, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. add the steak and sear until browned transfer to a plate. 

add the garlic to the skillet once it sizzles, add the onion and bell peppers, cook stirring occasionally, until they soften slightly, Add the pepperoncinis, tomatoes, oregano, red pepper flakes and 3/4 cup water and stir to combine. Bring to a rapid simmer, then nestle the steak in the the sauce and simmer turn once until medium rare about 7 minutes or cook longer for your degree of doneness. Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes . Thinly slice the steak against the grain and divided among plates, top with sauce and parsley , Serve with focaccia.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Low Carb Beef & Cheese Spaghetti Squash Bake

1 Tbsp. olive oil

1 onion, chopped

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 carrot, peeled and shredded

2 stalks celery, chopped

1 lb. ground beef

28 to 32 oz. spaghetti sauce (I made my own from tomato sauce and herbs)

1 tsp. oregano

1 large spaghetti squash, cleaned and baked and strands scooped out into a large bowl

2 c. shredded cheddar cheese

1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350°.

Heat olive oil in large pan; cook onion, garlic, carrot, and celery, stirring often until onion and celery are clear (not necessarily tender).  Add ground beef and cook until no pink remains.  Add sauce and oregano and simmer for about 15 minutes (I skipped the simmering step.)

Add beef & sauce mixture to spaghetti squash.  Stir to mix well.  Pour into baking dish (I used a 9 x 13 pan) and top with cheddar cheese.  Bake uncovered for 15 minutes, top with parmesan cheese, and bake another 5 to 10 minutes.  Serve.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Crockpot Ham & Potatoes

6 - 8 medium potatoes, peeled & sliced

1/2 to 1 lb. ham, sliced or diced

1 small onion, thinly sliced

1 c. shredded cheddar

1 can cream of mushroom soup

Grease the inside of the crock pot lightly.  Layer 1/2 the potatoes, 1/2 the ham, 1/2 the onion, and 1/2 the cheese.  Repeat.  Spread soup over top.  Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, until potatoes are tender.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:26 PM

I don't bother with rice when I have this one:

Ginger Pork Stir Fry

• 1 lb. boneless pork loin, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
  • 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
  • 1 Tbsp. vinegar
  • 1 tsp. sesame oil
  • 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 Tbsp. water
  • 16 oz. pkg frozen stir fry veggies (I've used broccoli instead of a mix)

Blend soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, ground ginger, garlic and water together.  Mix in the pork cubes.  Let marinade for 10 minutes.

Heat your choice of oil in a large skillet until medium hot.  Add pork & marinade, stir fry for 5 minutes until pork is browned.  Add vegetables and mix lightly.  Cover and cook 5 minutes until veggies are crisp-tender.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Tomato/Basil/Pepper soup

• 4 scallions or 4 small onions, sliced thin
  • 1 c. diced sweet red bell pepper
  • 2 Tbsp. butter
  • 28 to 32 oz. diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 3/4 c. chicken broth
  • 3/4 tsp. basil
  • Mozzarella cheese (optional)

Cook scallions/onions and peppers in butter until tender.  Add tomatoes, broth, and basil.  Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.  Top with shredded cheese.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)