Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

So annoyed!!!

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:06 AM
  • 8 Replies

So - I started Jillian's 30 day shred - trying for 3 days a week.

I gained four pounds.  (and please don't say it's muscle because it isn't). 

I just started running (only twice so far) while also cutting down on diet soda and drinkinng more water.

I gained two pounds.

I don't eat junk.  I don't have seconds.  I DO eat the proper amount of calories.

My thyroid was way off, which explained being unable to lose, but it's regulated (mostly) now.  I go back in August for a recheck, but I'm feeling much better so I know it's doing better.

I'm just so frustrated.  I'm following the rules, doing everything right, and I GAIN.

My clothes are TIGHTER.  Some say not to look at the scale, but how you look & how your clothes fits - so based on that, the scale is RIGHT.  I'm getting fatter.

I freaking give up.

by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Aw, hun.  How long of a period is this over?  Sometimes starting a new exercie regimen can make you retain water, especially if you're sore.  Your muscles need more blood to repair themselves, so you hold onto more water, to get those blood cells to the tissues, thus your muscles are swollen with water.  That could be one possible explanation.  Also, there are normal fluctuations- my weight can fluctuate by several pounds from one day to the next.  So maybe that's it?

I can imagine your frustration.  Big hugs!!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

the3Rs
by Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Jillian has been a few weeks, but running I just started, and my legs ARE still sore from that.  I suppose that could be it.

It's just so discouraging when you're trying to do all of the right things and you just keep going backwards. 

I don't ENJOY exercising.  I hate it actually.  So, if it's not doing me any good, I'm more likely to just quit.  Bad, I know.  But, it's reality.  The only reason for exercising is to lose weight - I'll never learn to enjoy it and do it just for fun, you know?

Quoting musicpisces:

Aw, hun.  How long of a period is this over?  Sometimes starting a new exercie regimen can make you retain water, especially if you're sore.  Your muscles need more blood to repair themselves, so you hold onto more water, to get those blood cells to the tissues, thus your muscles are swollen with water.  That could be one possible explanation.  Also, there are normal fluctuations- my weight can fluctuate by several pounds from one day to the next.  So maybe that's it?

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Give it a bit more time, and find some sort of execise that you DO at least like. If you hate it that much, you probably won't stick with it anyway

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:40 AM

I bet it is discouraging!  I've been there before- I've had my share of backslides over the course of my journey, and I am really glad I never threw in the towel.

I hated running when I started.  Like you, I saw it as a means to an end.  Thankfully, I was REALLY motivated, or I would have given up.  Maybe work on your perspective of "I'll never learn to enjoy it."  I never saw running as something that would grow on me, but it did!  Also, remember that there are a lot of things that count as exercise, and many of them are fun!  It doesn't have to be as formal as a DVD or running.  Do you enjoy any sports?  What about Zumba?  Swimming?  Something like that may be up your alley.  Exercise CAN be fun.

Quoting the3Rs:

Jillian has been a few weeks, but running I just started, and my legs ARE still sore from that.  I suppose that could be it.

It's just so discouraging when you're trying to do all of the right things and you just keep going backwards. 

I don't ENJOY exercising.  I hate it actually.  So, if it's not doing me any good, I'm more likely to just quit.  Bad, I know.  But, it's reality.  The only reason for exercising is to lose weight - I'll never learn to enjoy it and do it just for fun, you know?

Quoting musicpisces:

Suzanne

the3Rs
by Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Tried Zumba - hated it.

I do enjoy swimming, but I'd have to drive 30 minutes to the Y and I can't afford a Y membership.  I know it sounds like an excuse, but it's a fact.

I've done yoga - but it never helped me lose weight.  I suppose I could try again.

I suck at organized sports. 

I know I sound like a whiner, but really exercise or sports is just not my thing.  So, the fact that I'm doing anything is a good thing.

Quoting musicpisces:

I bet it is discouraging!  I've been there before- I've had my share of backslides over the course of my journey, and I am really glad I never threw in the towel.

I hated running when I started.  Like you, I saw it as a means to an end.  Thankfully, I was REALLY motivated, or I would have given up.  Maybe work on your perspective of "I'll never learn to enjoy it."  I never saw running as something that would grow on me, but it did!  Also, remember that there are a lot of things that count as exercise, and many of them are fun!  It doesn't have to be as formal as a DVD or running.  Do you enjoy any sports?  What about Zumba?  Swimming?  Something like that may be up your alley.  Exercise CAN be fun.

Quoting the3Rs:

Quoting musicpisces:

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:46 AM

It IS good that you're pressing on!  Hopefully, something will start to appeal sooner than later.  I know what I like has really changed over the course of my journey.  =)

Quoting the3Rs:

Tried Zumba - hated it.

I do enjoy swimming, but I'd have to drive 30 minutes to the Y and I can't afford a Y membership.  I know it sounds like an excuse, but it's a fact.

I've done yoga - but it never helped me lose weight.  I suppose I could try again.

I suck at organized sports. 

I know I sound like a whiner, but really exercise or sports is just not my thing.  So, the fact that I'm doing anything is a good thing.

Quoting musicpisces:

Quoting the3Rs:

Quoting musicpisces:

Suzanne

Noni2319
by Chrissy on Jul. 3, 2013 at 4:22 PM
I know how frustrating that can be. Give it more time though. Don't give up. You will get there.

msalice_21
by Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Yep!!! Happened to me. I was even jogging 4 miles almost every night. I'm still effing gaining!! I eat mostly organic, lean meats (just white chicken) and even shakes. I'm over it. I had better progress with an eating disorder. I'm on a brink of caving
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)