Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Beginner running advice!

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:34 AM
  • 15 Replies
Alright ladies, as some of you know I have struggled with my weight since I was a kid. When I had my son in August 2012 I was 230Ibs and today I'm 166Ibs.(which I've been stuck at for a while). I have a pin in my hip and running has never been my thing but I really want to start. HELP!!!!!!! I have pinned the c25. Is that the best place to start? I just bought a good pair of shoes (brooks pureflow). I'm a little nervous but anxious to start! Any advice or support is much appreciated!!!
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
audmom1218
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Take it easy in the beginning. Don't push, just follow the steps. Don't be afraid to repeat weeks and don't skip ahead if it seems to easy. I just graduated c25k and I'm in shock that I can run 2 miles easily and push myself to finish 3 miles without a problem! Stick with it!
akmaldo
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:15 PM

c25k is a great beginner schedule! Good luck!

mckinneymom918
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:18 PM
C25k! Find a 5k in your area for shortly after you finish and register for it!! I'm running my first tomorrow and Monday I ran 3 miles for the first time ever! Take it slow!!
muzzyh
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Take it easy, and ice is your friend.
Noni2319
by Chrissy on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:54 PM
C25k is great.
MamaJessx3
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:31 PM
C25k is great! It's how I started. Just make sure not to do too much too soon. And really try and focus on correct form....striking with either mid foot or the ball of your foot and not your heel, your whole body leaning forward slightly, NOT leaning forward from the waist, and controlling your breathing. Keep at it and you will do great!
mcginnisc
by Claire on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:36 PM

I agree that c25K is a great way to start running...I do have one question though- since you have a pin in your hip, have you spoken with your physician about limitations with running? It is hard on the joints- including the hip flexors, which is why I would suggest making sure it is not an exercise you should avoid. 

Jess covered form pretty well, so I'll just say to take it easy, repeat weeks if necessary, and if your physician gives the go ahead, register for a race for the last week of the program so you have a goal. www.active.com is a great resource for finding races in your area. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

crwspringer
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:42 PM
There are several c25k apps that make it super easy to do the program. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sahm111
by Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 2:05 PM
Thank you! I got the pin when I was 12 and was never told to avoid running. I played softball and cheerleaded in high school. I resumed p.e. with no restrictions as well. I always hated running and did have pain with it but I think it was because I was too fit.

Quoting mcginnisc:

I agree that c25K is a great way to start running...I do have one question though- since you have a pin in your hip, have you spoken with your physician about limitations with running? It is hard on the joints- including the hip flexors, which is why I would suggest making sure it is not an exercise you should avoid. 

Jess covered form pretty well, so I'll just say to take it easy, repeat weeks if necessary, and if your physician gives the go ahead, register for a race for the last week of the program so you have a goal. www.active.com is a great resource for finding races in your area. 

sahm111
by Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 1:49 PM
Thanks ladies! Any other advice? I did day 1 yesterday!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN