Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Motivation?

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:20 AM
  • 16 Replies

How did you get started with your healthy weight loss? What was your breaking point?

How did you find your motivation/inspiration, and what keeps you going?

I posted on my fan/blog page asking what was stopping people from losing weight and some of the excuses were beyond ridiculous.. but many people said they have no motivation. I feel like I have no motivation.. like I absolutely HATE having to work out and eat healthy foods right now.. but I still do it. So I still haven't found my motivation really.. I just get up and work out anyway if that makes sense. But people don't seem to "get it" when I say that. 

Any suggestions on finding/keeping motivation? 

by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LeahBennelong
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:42 AM
2 moms liked this

Finding your motivational factor is really good for you, it will helps you to encourage yourself to do more workout and follow your require diet. I think diet is more important instead of exercise for losing weight. 

aged care homes gold coast

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 10:47 AM
2 moms liked this

I got so frustrated with clothes shopping that about the 3rd time I came home in tears (due to not being able to find a bra at a regular store...not finding tops that had sleeves to cover my horrid arms...tops that fit over the boobs right, or that showed the rolls or just plain didn't fit well at all -or were completely ugly if they did) that I decided it was that time again (had lost the weight once before- then between moving and becoming depressed and lonely gained it ALL back plus about 25 more) and that THIS time it was/is going to stick.  SO, I decided to make a goal of walking on our treamill for at least 15 min a day EVERY DAY.  Once I did that and found the zumba studio I go to (happened about the same time- they had belly dance class which was something I'd been searching for here and not had much luck with until then)  I also joined sparkpeople- and started keeping track of work-outs.  One girl in answers  started a CM group on there shortly after-and once I had a streak of working out every day going, it made me want to KEEP going and I started adding more time and drinking water to what I was doing, I started going to  zumba when they cancelled the belly dance class-and here I am about 16 months later- down 63.5 lbs, and working out close to 2,000 min a month!

I think you really have to get to that place where you have had ENOUGH and you decide you ARE going to do this and that no one and nothing is going to stop you. And you have to be doing it for NO ONE other than YOU. Until then...it won't stick.  The first time I lost 65 lbs or so and I was happy with it- but I think the problem was, that I had friends I wanted to impress, and shows to look good for (I had just gotten to where I could go out a bit again without the kids *they were getting older) and I didn't do it ENTIRELY for ME you know? I also didn't really work out- I thought I did, between the full time cleaning job and my taking strolls around the nighborhood and playing on our weight machine for 10 min here or there...but looking back, I know that that stuff was not a bad thing, but it also was NOT actually doing that much for me. 

All I can tell you is that motivation HAS to come from YOU. No one can make you do it, or make you stick with it but you.  You are either there, or you aren't. I am really hoping that this time I AM (so far so good)

fygfitness_mom
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

During my Combat workout the trainers brought this up; that most people say they have no motivation.

They said we have it all backwards. It's not motivation that gets you going, the motivation happens in the middle of it, and after. After thinking about it, they are so right. It is never motivation that gets me up to workout, ever. It's always that I need to do it, period. The motivation that happens in the middle carries me through, and the elated feeling afterwards helps me to do things I never thought I could.

Motivation is not overrated, but it is misunderstood. :-D

muzzyh
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Setting a good example for my daughters.
Silvertears1275
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Mine started when my sister asked me to go to a yoga class with her.  I loved it.  Then I just started wanting to work on making my body more able to do the poses, so eventually I added on other workouts and eating healthier.  It's been over a year now.

To me, I think "motivation" isn't the thing to be looking for.  Motivation is fleeting.  It might get you started, then wane, you find some new inspiration, get bored...  I think what everyone needs to be focused on is DISCIPLINE.  Deciding that this is it, this is your new way of life, and dedicating yourself to it. 

mandaboo99
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 7:19 PM

My breaking point was 210... I weighed that the day my third child was born, im only 5'2" so i was about as wide as i was tall... ff>> 8 months pp and im sitting at 195, have tried a few different things, got bored, gave up Ive never been so big in my life. One day I just looked at my daughter and I could hear all the women in my family, always complaing about weight always "dieting"  always skipping meals or living on coffee and cigarettes, and decided that this is not the example I was going to set for her, Im looking at her and she is beautiful and she is perfect and I dont ever want her to cry when she looks in the mirror like i had been doing. I wanted to go outside and run around with my two sons instead of sitting on the deck watching them play. Someone told me about Insanity and I decided to give it a go. One week and I was hooked, Shaun T is a major inspiration to me, even though hes on the tv its like hes talking right to me. I did phase one 2ce because I knew i wasnt ready for what was to come and then moved onto phase two when I was ready... I have since completed it 5 times, im on my 6th. I have also done 3 other Beachbody programs, got down to a healthy weight and have become a coach so I can help people the way Beachbody helped me :)

Now my motivation is the feeling I get when Im FINISHED my workout, that great feeling of accomplishment, remember it the next time you dont want to ork out. find something you love and RUN with it!!

Quoting randomosityblog:

How did you get started with your healthy weight loss? What was your breaking point?

How did you find your motivation/inspiration, and what keeps you going?

I posted on my fan/blog page asking what was stopping people from losing weight and some of the excuses were beyond ridiculous.. but many people said they have no motivation. I feel like I have no motivation.. like I absolutely HATE having to work out and eat healthy foods right now.. but I still do it. So I still haven't found my motivation really.. I just get up and work out anyway if that makes sense. But people don't seem to "get it" when I say that. 

Any suggestions on finding/keeping motivation? 

cj123573
by Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:27 PM
2 moms liked this

I think you're absolutely right!  I'm going to try and look at it this way from here on out.  I really like this! 

Quoting Silvertears1275:

To me, I think "motivation" isn't the thing to be looking for.  Motivation is fleeting. It might get you started, then wane, you find some new inspiration, get bored...  I think what everyone needs to be focused on is DISCIPLINE.  Deciding that this is it, this is your new way of life, and dedicating yourself to it. 

LalasMommy1125
by Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 12:14 AM

When I realized I was still using the old pregnancy elastic band trick on my pants even though my daughter was almost 4....

I'm never motivated to exercise. Like some of the other ladies, I just do it. But I also want to portray a healthy lifestyle for my daughter. Her dad is soooo healthy and fit. I didn't want to be the fat, unhealthy one in the family. And I continue doing it because I want to like the way I look! So even though exercise sucks I do it, because I realize that without good nutrition and exercise I will not like the way I look.

neverstopping
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:00 AM
1 mom liked this

As spring was approaching last year, 2012, I reached the point where I had to buy some new clothes. My big clothes were old, worn out, faded, and looking bad. I was also in an enormous amount of chronic pain and walking was getting harder and harder. I got scared! I talked to my husband about it and started crying. I never cry over things like that, never feel sorry for myself!! I had reached my breaking point.

That next day, I happened to be looking over my GYN's website, she puts new information on each month for women's health issues. I went into the archives there and found info about dieting. I happened to have an appointment with her in two weeks, talked to her about this, and she got me in touch with a naturopathic doctor who specializes in weightloss. That decision got me started and I went full speed ahead into his plan with his constant guidance and sailed through to my goal which I reached in 9 months. I also did the exercise and drank the water.

I had an iron clad determination and committment to stay on my plan. Through all of that time, I never put even one bite of anything off plan into my mouth. I took my own foods to restaurants, to other peoples homes, to social events and even on vacation trips. For me, it went like this....

decision
committment
dedication
wanting this with all of my might
letting nothing or no one stop me!!

If you want it that bad, you can do it. Now my motivation to get off what I've gained back is that some of my new smaller sized clothes are a bit too snug! That'll do it! :)

photo Donnapastel_zps7fb96cdd.jpg
she-ra2000
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 9:29 AM

All of you on here keep me motivated. But, still I have to work hard to stay focused on the exercie. The only thjing I'm doing on a reg. basis is the walking. I make myself go 3-4 days a week. I've turned down snack cakes,even when they're staring me in the face :). I used to hate plani H20, but now I'm drinking between 16.9-33 oz/day. So I guess I just get up and do it anyway,even w/out the scale changing. I just can't give up this time,even though I slow it down some weeks. I'm 37 and I don't want to go into my 40s weighing 190!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN