Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Can someone help please?

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 10:09 PM
  • 20 Replies

I am trying to figure out how many calories I should be eating a day and I get a million different answers on sites that I have tried. I am 5 foot 6, 138 lbs and have a 2 month old that I exclusivley breastfeed. I am looking to lose just a little bit more weight and I feel like I have been eating too few calories. My milk supply hasnt been affected I dont think but I know in some cases you have to "eat more to lose more". Also, how much water should I be drinking?

by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Groove
by Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 10:11 PM
since you're exclusively breastfeeding, you need to be drinking more water. When I was nursing a newborn, I always made sure I drank at least 8-10 oz after a nursing session.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Groove
by Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 10:13 PM
I personally think your weight/height ratio is really good. Perhaps what you are seeing is that you need to tone vs lose weight. Try out some yoag/pilates combos. I've never counted calories- I just ate clean, hydrate on h2o, and exercise.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jul. 4, 2013 at 10:21 PM

How old are you, and how much are you working out?

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

KarieYeckDaniel
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 10:28 PM

The 4 Step Calorie Quiz

1. What's your gender ?  If you're a woman give yourself 1 point, man=2 points

2.  How much do you weight? If it's 130 pounds or less = 1 point if it's more than 130 =2 points

3.  How active (outside of your work out program are you?) Sedentary = 1 point , Moderate to High = 2 Points

4.  Add up your points

5. If you scored 3 points eat at the 1,200 calorie level

6. If you scored 4 or more, eat at the 1,600 calorie level

EASY!!!!

KarieYeckDaniel
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 10:30 PM

1200 Calorie Day

Breakfast 300

Snack 150

Lunch 300

Snack 150

Dinner 300

1600 Calorie Day

Breakfast 400

Snack 150

Lunch 450

Snack 150

Dinner 450

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jul. 4, 2013 at 10:31 PM

No no no no no.  This is WAY too few calories for most people, and will put them in starvation mode.  Your body requires a certain amount of calories, your BMR, to function normally.  1200 aren't nearly enough for most people.  Even 1600 calories aren't always enough.

Quoting KarieYeckDaniel:

The 4 Step Calorie Quiz

1. What's your gender ?  If you're a woman give yourself 1 point, man=2 points

2.  How much do you weight? If it's 130 pounds or less = 1 point if it's more than 130 =2 points

3.  How active (outside of your work out program are you?) Sedentary = 1 point , Moderate to High = 2 Points

4.  Add up your points

5. If you scored 3 points eat at the 1,200 calorie level

6. If you scored 4 or more, eat at the 1,600 calorie level

EASY!!!!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

KarieYeckDaniel
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 9:51 AM

The suggestions for Calories per meal are just a guide.  Don't worry too much.  Just don't starve all day.

Daily calories totals should include beverages, so be sure to account for that latte you drink between breakfast and your first snack.  lol

mcginnisc
by Claire on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:25 PM

How old are you? Do you workout at all? If so, what do you do and how often/duration? 

For water, the general guideline is to drink 1/2 your weight in oz per day, so: 138/2=69 oz. Since you are EBF, I would increase that a bit. 

If you answer the above, I can do your BMR for you properly. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

heart-n-dixie
by Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 2:24 PM
Could/would u do mine please? I'm 29 5'0 currently 140lbs and I work out 5-6 days a week for 30-45 mins. Thank you.

Quoting mcginnisc:

How old are you? Do you workout at all? If so, what do you do and how often/duration? 

For water, the general guideline is to drink 1/2 your weight in oz per day, so: 138/2=69 oz. Since you are EBF, I would increase that a bit. 

mcginnisc
by Claire on Jul. 5, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Quoting heart-n-dixie:

Could/would u do mine please? I'm 29 5'0 currently 140lbs and I work out 5-6 days a week for 30-45 mins. Thank you.

Quoting mcginnisc:

Sure! Are you breastfeeding at all? 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)