Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Please help me!! 100+lbs to lose

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:35 AM
  • 29 Replies

I'm getting so discouraged. I QUICKLY gained 110 pounds in one year. I've had every test (thyroid, adrenal, bloodwork, etc.) and the doctors cannot figure it out. I suspect it's related to one of the many medications I'm on, but none of them 'should' cause weight gain. The only thing we can come up with is my lack of activity due to a hip injury (though I started gaining before I hurt my hip).

I had my hip repaired in February and was released by my physical therapist a couple weeks ago. I've been tracking my calories for a couple months and am averaging 1200-1500 calories a day. I've been going to the gym for 2 weeks (M-F, 25-30 minutes on the bike). My weight bounces up and down between 273 and 276. I can't figure out why I'm not losing. I tried Weight Watchers in Feb/Mar and didn't lose a pound. Now I'm using the LoseIt app to track calories. I'm 5'7".

Here's my typical day:

Every Sunday, we cook 3 casseroles/meals and portion them out into ~400-calorie servings. Some are as low as 300 and some as high as 500. Like this week, we have buffalo chicken lasagna, mexican rotel chicken casserole and chicken & rice. Usually we have a beef recipe, but this week just happened to be all chicken. So every day, I get a pre-portioned lunch and dinner. Breakfast is 2 eggs (increasing to 3 with cheese this week to add calories). I drink coffee with creamer (70 calories). The rest of my liquid intake is water, about 150oz/day (I have a 32oz bottle that I fill 4-5 times). Snacks throughout the day are: baby carrots and hummus (75 calories), 2 mini peppermint patties (100 calories), 1oz of turkey jerky (80 calories), and 2 pieces of cheese (180 calories). Sometimes I'll have 1/3c of frozen yogurt (120 cals) after dinner. 

I do have a couple challenges. One being my hip. I have to keep it low-impact, which is why I use the bike. I do challenging courses and keep my HR around 130. Also, I have Crohn's Disease. I cannot have salad/raw veggies (I probably shouldn't be having the carrots, but I really love them), nuts, too much red meat, whole wheat/high fiber anything. I tried a Fiber One bar recently and it made me sick as a dog. Same with a salad. I'm sick enough as it is, but those things make it 10x worse. You'd think having diarrhea 4-5x/day would help with the weight loss, but it doesn't. :( Also, I recently had a hysterectomy (after gaining the weight, so that wasn't the cause) and am on estrogen replacement. Not sure if that matters.

I'm begging for help. I usually only post in MC, but they said to come over here and y'all could help me. Any other questions, just ask.

by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VinhThiMom
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

Here's me a year and a half ago
VinhThiMom
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Mobile Photo

And half a year ago (I look the same now)
charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:43 AM
2 moms liked this

You say you are eating 12-1500 calories a day and you are over 250...and working out.

You aren't eating enough, which can stall weight loss (and it's not good for you).  I started at 239 and was eating about 2100 a day and losing.  I would try upping the calories and see if it helps.

Someone in here can tell you how many calories you need if you want.   They need age, weight, height  and how much you work out (and if you breastfeed or not)

crwspringer
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:51 AM
Have you worked with a dietitian who specializes in people with Chrones ?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VinhThiMom
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Yes, I have. She told me not to worry about my weight and focus on eating healthy for Crohn's. Which contributed to my problem. She said no more than 9g of fiber/day, only eat white bread/pasta, etc. She's a registered dietician at the Crohn's clinic where my GI is located. It's just not acceptable to me. At this point, I'd rather be thin and sick. I cannot stand the way I look right now.

Quoting crwspringer:

VinhThiMom
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:00 AM

That's what they said in MC, so I'm trying to get up to 1800. I don't know how to do it in a healthy way, though. I'll eat a serving of candy (and yes, I know it's an exact serving because I count out pieces and portion them into baggies when I buy a bag). I have a sweet tooth! But that's not a good way to get in extra calories.

I'm 33, 275, 5'7", not breastfeeding.

Quoting charlotsomtimes:

You say you are eating 12-1500 calories a day and you are over 250...and working out.

You aren't eating enough, which can stall weight loss (and it's not good for you).  I started at 239 and was eating about 2100 a day and losing.  I would try upping the calories and see if it helps.

Someone in here can tell you how many calories you need if you want.   They need age, weight, height  and how much you work out (and if you breastfeed or not)

liveforever
by Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:05 AM

I dont have much advice for weight loss because Im just starting out, but I have crohns disease too. I know how challenging it can be. Hugs to you. If you ever need to talk feel free to pm me.

Too much exercise can make me flare up really bad. Ive been sticking with my elliptical or swimming. Both are pretty low impact so should be ok for your hip. Good luck!

crwspringer
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Wow, that just not acceptable. The goal is for you to be healthy and be at a good weight.
What about juicing. All the fiber us removed and you get lots of nutrients.

Quoting VinhThiMom:

Yes, I have. She told me not to worry about my weight and focus on eating healthy for Crohn's. Which contributed to my problem. She said no more than 9g of fiber/day, only eat white bread/pasta, etc. She's a registered dietician at the Crohn's clinic where my GI is located. It's just not acceptable to me. At this point, I'd rather be thin and sick. I cannot stand the way I look right now.

Quoting crwspringer:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VinhThiMom
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I did try juicing at one point when I was thinner. I saw a nutrionist to try and control the Crohn's and did gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, etc. It was miserable. And didn't help the Crohn's. I wasn't overweight at that point. I haven't tried it again, though. I could give it a shot. I actually did smoothies (fruit/greens).

Stacy6155
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I've just started with juicing carrots and I bought the Nutribullet...I haven't started losing noticeable weight but my clothes are fitting a little looser... what I don't like about this is having to go grocery shopping so often...I have a torn minuscus (sp?) In my knee so until I have surgery alot of exercises are out... in addition my Dad had Crohns so I will ask him how he manages it... best of luck in your weight loss journey
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN