Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Cutting out dairy to lose weight?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 4:29 PM
  • 16 Replies

So ive been reading alot about the paleo diet... I dont think i can stick to it all the way but like the basic consept. There is absolutely no dairy in this diet and reasearched up on it to find out dairy isn't all that good for you anyway... Anyone totally cut dairy out of your diet? if so how did it affect you? (weight loss, other problems) also was it hard to transition to no dairy?

by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 4:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mamato4brats
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 6:19 PM

I was also looking not this diet, however cottage cheese, string cheese and fat free yogurt are staples for me getting through a day without starving. I do like the concept though. I don't drink regular milk (Almond milk) but I would have to find alternative to the other things to accomplish anything with this type of diet.

luvhubandbabys
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:38 PM
1 mom liked this
If I could have my greek yogurt Im all for it. I dont drink milk anyways. Got to have my yogurt
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alli1204
by New Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:40 PM
7 moms liked this
Life without cheese isn't worth living. Period.
babymine
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:45 PM
I did for breastfeeding purposes. I love cheese so it's hard still and I've been off dairy for about 5 months now. I am about 5-7lbs lighter than I was pre-pregnancy though! :)
sleepymommy87
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:50 PM
I became dairy free because I'm breastfeeding and my daughter is allergic. I didn't realize it till she was a year, and i wish i had eliminated dairy sooner for both our sakes. Being dairy free has been so amazing for my health. In two months I lost 20 pounds just from cutting all dairy. I've been dairy free for six months now and I'm 13 pounds under my pre pregnancy weight and still losing.
Indy3000
by Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:55 PM

How did you find out she had an allergy? I wonder with my 7 month breasfed daughter because she seems to have a belly ache alot and gassy problems, but i have asked the doctor and they told me that is just colic and not due to dairy so i would like to know the symptoms. 

Quoting sleepymommy87:

I became dairy free because I'm breastfeeding and my daughter is allergic. I didn't realize it till she was a year, and i wish i had eliminated dairy sooner for both our sakes. Being dairy free has been so amazing for my health. In two months I lost 20 pounds just from cutting all dairy. I've been dairy free for six months now and I'm 13 pounds under my pre pregnancy weight and still losing.

sleepymommy87
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:03 AM
She had really bad gas too, but mainly it was bad eczema and i just thought it was normal baby rashes from laundry soap or baby wash. I didn't think anything of it until she started solids around nine months and started getting hives on her back and bum. After eliminating everything i realized it was probably my diet. Sure enough it was. When we both stopped eating dairy the hives and rashes went away, her gas got better, and her skin cleared.

Quoting Indy3000:

How did you find out she had an allergy? I wonder with my 7 month breasfed daughter because she seems to have a belly ache alot and gassy problems, but i have asked the doctor and they told me that is just colic and not due to dairy so i would like to know the symptoms. 

Quoting sleepymommy87:

ballerina18
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:16 AM

About 10 years ago I tried going vegan. I lasted for about 9 months and then went back to introducing dairy into my diet. I really couldn't live without cheese!

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 9, 2013 at 6:28 AM

You should check into the Primal Blueprint, then.  It's a version of Paleo that is a bit more relaxed (dairy from grass-fed cows is okay, raw milk is okay, legumes are okay but not desirable, potatoes are okay as long as you're still meeting nutritional needs daily, etc.)

I have been dairy free although I did bring butter from grass-fed cows (Amish made), real sour cream (no low-fat junk), and very limited cheese back into our diet.  It's not hard to be totally dairy free thanks to almond and coconut milk to cook with and using coconut oil instead of butter. 

audmom1218
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 7:58 AM
Does she seem to gulp a lot when she's eating or come off and on a lot when she's eating? Over active letdown can cause grassiness and fussiness. There are some amazing moms on the breastfeeding board if you would like some help. "Colic" is just a term for "they're crying and we don't know why" lol!

Quoting Indy3000:

Quoting sleepymommy87:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN