Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Running a half marathon

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:40 PM
  • 15 Replies

Has anyone done it? I'm thinking about signing up for a 1/2 marathon to keep myself motivated. I've been running to lose weight for about a year now and I currectly run 3-5 miles a day... I'm not sure if I should be running more than that in order to start training for this. 

by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
big_red05
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes sounds like you have a good base :) I've run three halfs I used the first two as ways to Lowe weight (I focused on training and eatig right instead of focusing on losing weight) and I got smaller and smaller ;)
RunningMommaof2
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Is there a certain plan you used to train for it. Also... do people usually walk at all during a 1/2, or do they normally run the whole thing? 

Quoting big_red05:

Yes sounds like you have a good base :) I've run three halfs I used the first two as ways to Lowe weight (I focused on training and eatig right instead of focusing on losing weight) and I got smaller and smaller ;)

mckinneymom918
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Hal higdon. Google his training schedules. He says at least 3 miles 3-4x a week for several weeks. Then you add a mile each week, once and you keep your 3 mile runs the other days. He has a schedule you can print. I added it into my calendar on my iPhone because I needed my long runs on a different day. And I want to also work up to 5 miles per day as my short runs, so I incorporated that as well. He also suggests a 10k half way through so you see how it's going for a race. If you've never run a race you'd probably benefit from that. I did run a 5k last week, but I also plan to run a 10k at about the 9 mile training week, so that should work out... We'll see :)

Good luck!
RunningMommaof2
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Thanks for the advise. I've run a couple of 5k's but never a 10k. I should try it, but I'm scared. I feel like people who run 10k's are usually fast... which I'm not. I'm definitely a distance over speed runner. 

Quoting mckinneymom918:

Hal higdon. Google his training schedules. He says at least 3 miles 3-4x a week for several weeks. Then you add a mile each week, once and you keep your 3 mile runs the other days. He has a schedule you can print. I added it into my calendar on my iPhone because I needed my long runs on a different day. And I want to also work up to 5 miles per day as my short runs, so I incorporated that as well. He also suggests a 10k half way through so you see how it's going for a race. If you've never run a race you'd probably benefit from that. I did run a 5k last week, but I also plan to run a 10k at about the 9 mile training week, so that should work out... We'll see :)

Good luck!

mckinneymom918
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:21 PM
There are all kinds!

The 5k I ran last week also had a 10k race, and the person that finished in last took over 1 1/2 hours. Don't get me wrong, there were some that finished in half that time. But i try to find races that allow walkers so I know I won't come in last!

Quoting RunningMommaof2:

Thanks for the advise. I've run a couple of 5k's but never a 10k. I should try it, but I'm scared. I feel like people who run 10k's are usually fast... which I'm not. I'm definitely a distance over speed runner. 

Quoting mckinneymom918:

Good luck!

mcginnisc
by Claire on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Half marathons are my favorite race. 

If you want to run efficiently, you should only be running 3-4x per week with a few cross training days in there. You also need to do interval runs and sprints. Those as well as hill training will increase your endurance and speed. 

Now, as far as training goes: www.halhigdon.com or www.jeffgalloway.com will be the best training plans. Personally, I prefer Hal Higdon plans.. my only beef with Higdon's novice plan for half marathons is the last long run is only 10 miles. It is a large jump in mileage to go from 10 to 13.1...especially, when you should never increase more than 10% per week. IF you plan on registering for a 1/2, make sure it is at least 12 weeks out so that you can train properly. Over training is going to lead to injury. Trust me.. I'm truly the voice of experience in the group on over training for races. LOL ....www.active.com is a great resource for finding races. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

big_red05
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:31 PM
I use Hal higdon like mentioned his plans are very basic and I could easily adjust the runs around my schedule... People do walk some people walk the whole thing, some people do run/walk ratios and some people just walk when needed

Also don't worry about speed even during a 10k! I'm a turtle trotter and my second 10k I was last place last one across the finish line with a time if 1:22 but it was still an awesome expirence!

Quoting RunningMommaof2:

Is there a certain plan you used to train for it. Also... do people usually walk at all during a 1/2, or do they normally run the whole thing? 

Quoting big_red05:

RunningMommaof2
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:41 PM
Lmao I do the same thing.

Quoting mckinneymom918:

There are all kinds!

The 5k I ran last week also had a 10k race, and the person that finished in last took over 1 1/2 hours. Don't get me wrong, there were some that finished in half that time. But i try to find races that allow walkers so I know I won't come in last!

Quoting RunningMommaof2:

Quoting mckinneymom918:

Good luck!

RunningMommaof2
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:42 PM
Good for you!! :)

Quoting big_red05:

I use Hal higdon like mentioned his plans are very basic and I could easily adjust the runs around my schedule... People do walk some people walk the whole thing, some people do run/walk ratios and some people just walk when needed

Also don't worry about speed even during a 10k! I'm a turtle trotter and my second 10k I was last place last one across the finish line with a time if 1:22 but it was still an awesome expirence!

Quoting RunningMommaof2:

Quoting big_red05:

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jul. 11, 2013 at 3:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I love half marathons!  I've run a few, and am training for my first full marathon now.  You sound like you have a good base.  Hal Higdon's programs are supposed to be great.  I actually used the one in Runner's World (I believe the current issue is actually the half marathon issue, which includes a training plan- that's what I did).  I would definitely try a 10K next- keep building up! NO race is exclusive to "fast" people- they're exclusive to participants!  =)  My first 10K was in 1:17, and my goal was to get under 90 minutes, and ideally under 80.  Run at your own pace, and don't stress about others- you'll be fine!  Good luck!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN