Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health
Im currently looking into trying a weight loss shake and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good shake?
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Replies (11-20):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:54 AM
3 moms liked this

I thought the same thing when I used shakes to lose weight years ago.  I even kept the weight off for a year, because I kind of HAD to (lost the weight to join the Navy).  Yes, you can LOSE the weight with shakes, but you are VERY likely to gain it back.  I hadn't learned how to make smart decisions in everyday life about food, or how to overcome excuses not to go to the gym.  I hadn't learned how to overcome stress eating.  I hadn't learned how to say no to huge portions.  I gained back about 1/3 more than I'd lost.  Plus I'd slowed down my metabolism with so few calories that it didn't take much to gain back the weight.

How do you expect to "get a handle on everything" if you're not eating real foods and finding what works for you for maintenance?

Most of the people who have been responding here are people who SELL Shakeology.   They're not exactly unbiased (no offense to anyone responding).

You have to look beyond protein, or you could just eat egg whites all day long and get protein that way.  Nutrition is much more complicated than this.

Most people have a hard time sticking with weight loss.  It's hard to stay motivated.  But when you're serious, nothing can stop you.

I have a few journals about my own journey (I've lost 112 lbs so far and am still going).  I'll link them here: clean eating, what's working for me, and some tips.  Many of us in the group eat clean and have had a lot of success with it.  Plus, it's something that can be done for the rest of your life, including while pregnant or breastfeeding.

Quoting kce2013:

I have a hard time with sticking with weightloss so I figured I can do my shake and learn to eat healthy at the same time then wean myself off shakes once I get a handle on everything. I have seen amazing results with some shakes and just wanted to try it out. Plus shakes are packed with protein which everyone needs, when you start working out and toning dont people use protein shakes anyways?

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

MamaJessx3
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:08 AM
2 moms liked this
Couldn't have said it better. There's no "quick fix" and using shakes as a "jump start" or whatever is just an excuse not to do things the right way. If that's your goal ultimately then why not just start off with eating healthy and exercising??

Quoting musicpisces:

I thought the same thing when I used shakes to lose weight years ago.  I even kept the weight off for a year, because I kind of HAD to (lost the weight to join the Navy).  Yes, you can LOSE the weight with shakes, but you are VERY likely to gain it back.  I hadn't learned how to make smart decisions in everyday life about food, or how to overcome excuses not to go to the gym.  I hadn't learned how to overcome stress eating.  I hadn't learned how to say no to huge portions.  I gained back about 1/3 more than I'd lost.  Plus I'd slowed down my metabolism with so few calories that it didn't take much to gain back the weight.

How do you expect to "get a handle on everything" if you're not eating real foods and finding what works for you for maintenance?

Most of the people who have been responding here are people who SELL Shakeology.   They're not exactly unbiased (no offense to anyone responding).

You have to look beyond protein, or you could just eat egg whites all day long and get protein that way.  Nutrition is much more complicated than this.

Most people have a hard time sticking with weight loss.  It's hard to stay motivated.  But when you're serious, nothing can stop you.

I have a few journals about my own journey (I've lost 112 lbs so far and am still going).  I'll link them here: clean eating, what's working for me, and some tips.  Many of us in the group eat clean and have had a lot of success with it.  Plus, it's something that can be done for the rest of your life, including while pregnant or breastfeeding.

Quoting kce2013:

I have a hard time with sticking with weightloss so I figured I can do my shake and learn to eat healthy at the same time then wean myself off shakes once I get a handle on everything. I have seen amazing results with some shakes and just wanted to try it out. Plus shakes are packed with protein which everyone needs, when you start working out and toning dont people use protein shakes anyways?

mrsc19
by New Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:23 PM

i drink slim fast with soy milk for breakfast and dinner....i dont use the slimfast snacks i just eat fruit for a snack and for lunch i usually eat chicken, veggies, and a wheat roll, or something healthy.....i tried buying shakes from the gnc stores but i didnt like the taste of any of them i liked at it was a lot of money wasted,

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jul. 11, 2013 at 9:41 PM

That's what I used (not the soy version) when I lost weight for the Navy... then gained it all back plus more.

Quoting mrsc19:

i drink slim fast with soy milk for breakfast and dinner....i dont use the slimfast snacks i just eat fruit for a snack and for lunch i usually eat chicken, veggies, and a wheat roll, or something healthy.....i tried buying shakes from the gnc stores but i didnt like the taste of any of them i liked at it was a lot of money wasted,

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

biancalina20
by Bianca on Jul. 11, 2013 at 9:42 PM
I'm on Body by Vi and Love it!!
kstn415
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 9:48 PM
Soy actually has a lot of negative health effects. I believe body by vi has soy in it? And there is no proof that shakeology works for weight loss. I am a fan of zija. They have nutrition mixes and weight loss products. Pm me if you want.
MomofHDFandNWF
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 9:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I was counting on you to say exactly what you just said.... And, btw, OP -- I gotta agree with her!  The old me would have tried the different shakes (heck, not would have - did) and it was successful at first, but not long-lasting....

Quoting musicpisces:

Why a shake?  Why not eat real food, like you would be doing for the rest of your life?  Shakes lead to temporary weight loss.  You have to learn how to eat for the rest of your life if you want the weight to stay off.  Cleaning up your diet is more sustainable in the long run than any shake.

ballerina18
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with musicpisces100%

Meal replacement is a temporary solution. The tried and true method of losing weight is eating well and exercising.

OP, here are some of my tips:

• Read up about clean eating
  • Shop only the perimeter at the grocery store or, better yet, find a local farmer's market or co-op
  • I try to live with a 80/20 rule. 80% of the time I eat super healthy and 20% I will indulge.
  • Don't drink your calories. This can be easier said than done, but water is so great for you and if you add a lemon it's even better =)
  • Find a way to get moving! Take a walk with your kids, go biking, swimming, find a fitness studio...anything.. just move your body =)

Best of luck OP!

Quoting musicpisces:

Why a shake?  Why not eat real food, like you would be doing for the rest of your life?  Shakes lead to temporary weight loss.  You have to learn how to eat for the rest of your life if you want the weight to stay off.  Cleaning up your diet is more sustainable in the long run than any shake.

TheJs
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Genesis pure has meal replacement shakes that i like.

TheJs
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:13 PM

I use them when i'm on the run and don't have time to eat breakfast. We've changed everythign about the way we eat, but i still don't have time for breakfast or dinner sometimes and grab a MRS. :)

Quoting musicpisces:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN