Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health
Im currently looking into trying a weight loss shake and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good shake?
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Replies (21-30):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:23 PM

I see that as different than relying on them for two meals a day for a period of time to lose weight. I do a Vega shake after workouts, because I can't stomach solid food for awhile.  Having something like that for when you're in a pinch is different, IMO.  I keep Kashi or Clif bars available for those moments!  =)

Quoting TheJs:

I use them when i'm on the run and don't have time to eat breakfast. We've changed everythign about the way we eat, but i still don't have time for breakfast or dinner sometimes and grab a MRS. :)

Quoting musicpisces:

Why a shake?  Why not eat real food, like you would be doing for the rest of your life?  Shakes lead to temporary weight loss.  You have to learn how to eat for the rest of your life if you want the weight to stay off.  Cleaning up your diet is more sustainable in the long run than any shake.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

TheJs
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:29 PM

I'm a BIG fan of the Clif granola bars! We keep them in a few flavors all the time! I go to work at 6am, work til 4:30 (with a break in the middle that i use to go to the gym lol), pick up my kids, and have to be in class by 6. Sometimes actual meals just aren't an option for me. :(

OP, i wouldn't think you'd be getting enuogh calories drinking 2 replacement shakes a day. Make sure you're taking in enough to sustain what you are doing workout wise.

Quoting musicpisces:

I see that as different than relying on them for two meals a day for a period of time to lose weight. I do a Vega shake after workouts, because I can't stomach solid food for awhile.  Having something like that for when you're in a pinch is different, IMO.  I keep Kashi or Clif bars available for those moments!  =)

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:39 PM

I end up carrying a cooler with me with food, so that I always have it available, which REALLY helps.  Planning out meals helps a lot, too.  The bars are just a back up, more for if I end up being out longer than planned or if something comes up.  I have long days like yours!

I also agree about the calories- part of the problem with these shake diets is that they are so low in calories that they slow your metabolism, making it that much harder to KEEP the weight off.

Quoting TheJs:

I'm a BIG fan of the Clif granola bars! We keep them in a few flavors all the time! I go to work at 6am, work til 4:30 (with a break in the middle that i use to go to the gym lol), pick up my kids, and have to be in class by 6. Sometimes actual meals just aren't an option for me. :(

OP, i wouldn't think you'd be getting enuogh calories drinking 2 replacement shakes a day. Make sure you're taking in enough to sustain what you are doing workout wise.

Quoting musicpisces:

Suzanne

TheJs
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:44 PM

We've been wanting to start pre-packing our lunches and such to make it easier, but since we are pretty new to eating at home we don't have many healthy ideas. We used to eat out for almost every meal. :/

Quoting musicpisces:

I end up carrying a cooler with me with food, so that I always have it available, which REALLY helps.  Planning out meals helps a lot, too.  The bars are just a back up, more for if I end up being out longer than planned or if something comes up.  I have long days like yours!

I also agree about the calories- part of the problem with these shake diets is that they are so low in calories that they slow your metabolism, making it that much harder to KEEP the weight off.

Quoting TheJs:

Quoting musicpisces:

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jul. 12, 2013 at 12:11 AM

I do a lot of leftovers (there's a microwave at school and at the hospital- I'm a nursing student), I make salads, carrots and hummus, fruit, hard boiled eggs, stuff like that.  Meals I'll make with the intention of having lots of leftovers for another dinner and a couple of lunches.

Quoting TheJs:

We've been wanting to start pre-packing our lunches and such to make it easier, but since we are pretty new to eating at home we don't have many healthy ideas. We used to eat out for almost every meal. :/

Quoting musicpisces:

Quoting TheJs:

Quoting musicpisces:

Suzanne

almburr
by Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't rely on a shake to fuel me. I use mine after working out since I don't like to eat much after or when I'm running around. I pack lunches and snacks with me. I cook from scratch 90% of the time. Whole clean eating is great. Like many have said don't rely on it as a way of life, don't use them as your only nutritional intake.

Quoting musicpisces:

Quoting TheJs:

Quoting musicpisces:

almburr
by Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this
There are books out there on clean eating. I have the ones by tosca Reno.
bhernandez81
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Hi! I'm a busy mom of three and the shakes that haved worked the best for me are the Shakeology shakes. I've been drinking them consistantly for about a month now and it's made a huge difference. I started working out two weeks ago and I look way better than I used to.  

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jul. 12, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Yes!  A great one to start with is her book, The Eat Clean Diet: Recharged!  Great way to get to the nuts and bolts of it.

Quoting almburr:

There are books out there on clean eating. I have the ones by tosca Reno.

Suzanne

aurorabear
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I drink Shakeology, and I drink it everyday. Its not a filler meal, its a real meal, with real food in it. So the shake haters are thinking of just regular meal fillers. A LOT of people take these shakes and add things into it to bring the calories up. I being one of them. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN