Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

customize a workout!?!

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:30 PM
  • 7 Replies

Is there anyone that can give me a work out type of schedule? Today will be my first day of doing the couch to 5k program on my treadmill at home. When do I do the three days a week? And what should I do on the days that I dont do the running? I have to workout at home as we are not close to any gyms, I only have 3 lb weights and the area that I would most like to work on is my lower stomach. I am 138 lbs and i will have a little "mommy pooch" that I would like atleast a tad smaller. Thanks for you help! 

by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
keaton10
by Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 2:05 PM
Bump. I'm not to sure but good luck! :)
kiki352182
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 4:16 PM

haha thank you!

mckinneymom918
by Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 9:46 PM
When I started couch to 5k, My goal was to run every other day- but I didn't get to it always- life happens. Until I started running in the mornings. On the off days, I do yoga on the Xbox and I would try to get out with the kids for a mile walk at their pace. After my runs I do a little 8 minute yoga for runners I found on you tube that really works for me.
kiki352182
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:12 PM

awesome thank you for your reply! i wasnt sure how the days should be spread out

cj123573
by Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:18 PM

I've not starting the C25K plan yet, I'm still in the "visualization" stages since I'm 36 weeks pregnant.  My "visual" plan when I do start is to do the C25K every other day and on the off days do light cardio but focus more on strength training....that said, I do have more than a little pooch to work off :) I've seen it recommended here a couple of times too, but active.com has a lot of information regarding running schedules and "how to" stuff in there as well. 

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Well, I'd follow the C25K, doing the workouts on non-consecutive days as they work for your schedule.  On the days in between, I would do yoga or some kind of cross training (strength training is really important, too) 2-3 days a week.  A day of rest (even active rest, like walking or gentle yoga) is really important.  When I started out, I wanted to do more than 30 minutes of running/walking, so I'd do the 30 Day Shred after my runs (even at 250 lbs).

For your stomach, how are you eating?  Your food intake is the most important factor, plus, the proper nutrition will really help fuel your running.

You don't need a bunch of weights or a fancy gym to get in a good workout.  Many of us do our workouts at home.  DVDs can be a great place to start, but you can look on Pinterest to get some good workout ideas.  I actually bought a kettlebell (25 lbs, which is too heavy for most people) and had a friend give me an old tractor tire (probably weighs 100-150 lbs), and those are my "tools".  I do dead lifts, upright rows, squats, bicep curls, tricep extensions, reverse crunches, swings, and other moves using my kettlebell, and I flip the tire up and down the driveway, do push ups with my feet on it, use it to elevate my back foot to do lunges, do toe taps on it (which make my heart rate skyrocket!), do tricep dips, and I'm finding all kinds of other creative things to do with it.  I also do burpees, push ups, planks, lunges, jump squats, sprints, etc without any equipment.  I just got a jump rope (woo hoo), which is GREAT for torching calories.  I run to the park, do pull ups, do more running, run back to the park, do more pull ups, repeat.  Mind you, I can't totally do pull ups, but there's a lower bar, and I use my legs as little as possible with my feet on tiptoe to get myself up there. (I'm SOOO close do being able to do them!!)  I bike, use a swim pass at the local community pool... There are always things you can do.  Running (especially trail running- my true love!) is my primary form of exercise, but these are a few ideas.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

TheJs
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:23 PM

planking, and every sort of crunch (regular, reverse, bicycle, etc.) you can do will help that tummy shrink! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)