Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Night shift and weight loss? **Update #2 on pg 2**

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:09 PM
  • 16 Replies
So I finally broke down and went today to the doctor for a complete physical. I explained to her my frustration about even though I've been working out 3 times a week at the gym, eating my BMR calories, drinking 3 L of water a day, I've actually gained almost 30 lbs since Jan! And lost no inches. Ugh!!!! She said she's heard this a lot from people who work night shift. They drew a lot of blood to check for everything under the sun, and she wants me to have a sleep study done. I feel so defeated. I work nights so I don't have to put my kids in daycare (dh works days) and earn enough to pay off some of our debt (we got hit hard when the market collapsed in 2008). Short of going to day shift, which would take a small miracle, what else can I do? Any other night shift workers out there with advice? I work 7pm-7:30am.
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MathiasMom04
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:58 PM

I sent you a pm..I have some ideas that might help you. Hope to hear from you. 

livndaybyday
by Alicia on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:13 PM
Bump
audmom1218
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Vitamin d supplements? You may be deficient
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I hope you're not selling something- using the group to drum up customers goes against the terms of service.  Please be aware of this.

Quoting MathiasMom04:

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:27 PM

The shift in circadian rhythms that comes with night shifts can raise cortisol (and other stress hormone) levels, which can slow your metabolism.  It could also be some sort of anemia or other nutrient deficiency, which can slow your metabolism.  Hopefully the bloodwork will come back with an easily treatable answer!  =)  Good luck!

Suzanne

livndaybyday
by Alicia on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:34 PM
Thanks! I know I have a history iron deficiency anemia and I've been on iron supplements for a while. She's rechecking my levels to see if they are working or if I need iron infusions :(
Any way to overcome the rise in cortisol from the shift in circadian rhythms? I've been on nights for 3 years and did rotating shift for 2 years before that.

Quoting musicpisces:

The shift in circadian rhythms that comes with night shifts can raise cortisol (and other stress hormone) levels, which can slow your metabolism.  It could also be some sort of anemia or other nutrient deficiency, which can slow your metabolism.  Hopefully the bloodwork will come back with an easily treatable answer!  =)  Good luck!

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jul. 12, 2013 at 12:14 AM

The iron deficiency anemia can be part of it (I have it, too).  Some people adjust better to the rhythms than others.  How dark is the room you sleep in during the day? (the darker the better)  Are you able to expose yourself to some good light when you're getting up for work?  Those kinds of things can help some.  You can also Google some ideas for adjusting to night shift work to see what's worked for others. 

Quoting livndaybyday:

Thanks! I know I have a history iron deficiency anemia and I've been on iron supplements for a while. She's rechecking my levels to see if they are working or if I need iron infusions :(
Any way to overcome the rise in cortisol from the shift in circadian rhythms? I've been on nights for 3 years and did rotating shift for 2 years before that.

Quoting musicpisces:

Suzanne

livndaybyday
by Alicia on Jul. 12, 2013 at 1:25 AM
I have blackout curtains in my room and wear earplugs and a sleep mask. I also keep it cool and have a fan on as well.

Quoting musicpisces:

The iron deficiency anemia can be part of it (I have it, too).  Some people adjust better to the rhythms than others.  How dark is the room you sleep in during the day? (the darker the better)  Are you able to expose yourself to some good light when you're getting up for work?  Those kinds of things can help some.  You can also Google some ideas for adjusting to night shift work to see what's worked for others. 

Quoting livndaybyday:

Quoting musicpisces:

MathiasMom04
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 10:02 PM

I appreciate your concern but what I do through my own personal messages is between myself and the person I am talking to. As I understood it you could not blatanly adverstise or sell things on the forums which by the way I am not trying to drum up customers I am trying to help people with their weight loss in one way or another. I have a husband who works 3rd shift so I know what she is dealing with but thanks again for your concern. 

Quoting musicpisces:

I hope you're not selling something- using the group to drum up customers goes against the terms of service.  Please be aware of this.

Quoting MathiasMom04:

Vertical15
by Vanessa on Jul. 14, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I also went for my yearly last year for a complete physical and complained of gaining weight even though I regulary workout and watch what I eat (for the most part, not always but I think I do pretty good)  I work second shift-I usually get off work around 10pm and then I workout and come home.  Bedtime is usually 1-3am.  Granted thats not quite night/3rd shift but it does affect my schedule.  I also do this shift so we don't have to put the kids in daycare.

Anyway, besides just being overweight I have high cholesterol (which I've learned so does most of my family!)  Though nothing else is wrong and it seems I shouldn't have a problem losing weight if I am eating less then I am moving (less calories in, more energy out!)

I actually gave up for a while, continued to workout and ate the same as always and gained 12 pounds in one month. How depressing!  So I went to a weight loss clinic where they told me I was just under what they consider elgible for weight loss surgery which is good because I don't want surgery!  So I've started to meet monthly with a dietician and a Dr who is supervising my 'case' and so far I've lost that 12 lbs I had gained. 

My main course of action was signing up and using myfitnesspal which I can shart everything from what I eat to how much I am drinking and working out.  Its been very helpful to see everything on that app.  And its free!  The dietician likes it because we can look at what I'm eating together and she suggests alternatives and offers other ideas on how to continue losing. 

Sorry for the long story but I hope something I said may help?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)