Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

What can I expect at a Pure Barre class?

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 7:08 PM
  • 4 Replies

I am wanting to go to one of the classes and was hoping for the Barre Lite class but it is not offered at a time that I can go. What can I expect? Also, I see pictures of everyone wearing exercise tights and that is just so not going to happen. Can I just wear by regular gym shorts/tank top?

by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 7:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
ballerina18
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 7:28 PM

I'm planning on trying out a Pure Barre class too! I'm going to take a few drop in classes next week at a studio I found. I think you will want to wear something that you can move around in that doesn't limit any potential range of motion. I actually am not sure about wearing gym shorts. If I were you I might opt for yoga pants or something that will at least go to the knee. I say this because I think the class might have some stretching with the leg up on the bar and you don't want to be pulling at your shorts if they ride up. I am personally going to wear some yoga pants that go to my knee with a running jacket to the class I take next week.

Have fun and let me know what you think of the class! I'm so excited to try something new myself!

JeremysMom
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 5:45 PM

bump

melner18
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I go to Barre classes regularly.

You will be fine wearing gym shorts and a tank top. The only "issue" might be when you are doing ab work. For me, sometimes the waist band of some gym shorts don't feel comfortable when I am laying down. Does that make sense?

As to what to expect, it's similar to Pilates, but sped up and more intense. You will do "reps" of things and definitely get your heart going. The Barre classes have a cardio aspect that the Pilates classes don't tend to have.

You will use some weights and a mat and sometimes other "props" that the Studio should have for you (you shouldn't have to bring anything - at least I don't have to where I go). And it's done to fun music (at least where I go).

I love it! Good luck. Please let us know what you think!

ballerina18
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 1:45 AM

OP,

Did you ever try out a bar class? I tried one today! I learned that the class I tried, called "The Bar Method," is different from "Pure Barre". I am not sure what the difference is, but that is what the secretary at the Bar Method studio said.

I can tell you a little bit about my experience.  =) It was super fun and WOW it was a workout. The Bar Method studio I went to was beautiful and very crowded.  Everyone was wearing tight pants either to the knee or to the ankle and I was super happy I wore tight pants too. There were certain positions that would have exposed me otherwise.

The class was definitely a workout! I remember most of what we did. We started standing and everyone had two sets of weights (I chose 2lbs and 3lbs). We used the weights to work on the biceps and triceps while standing, in lunges, and bent over in a lunge position. Planks and pushups were next. After that we went to the bar and did releves (lifting heels up and down), next we went up on releve while bending our knees... OMG! the instructor made us hold this postion, pulse here, and keep repeating. I'm pretty sure everyone's legs were shaking after that!

Following that we came to our knees and leaned our upper bodies backward to pulse our butts. lol Halfway through the class we did some stretching with the leg up on the bar. After that the instructor had us sit down, backs against the wall/mirror and we did a whole sequence of lifting/pulsing our legs upward at different heights. Towards the end of class we did some HIIT stuff on the floor and finally stretched.

Overall, the class was awesome and very HARD! I know I will be sore tomorrow. I walked away from the class feeling like it was more of a leg & ab workout compared to an upper body workout.

I hope to go again before we leave town, but it was expensive =/ OP, you should definitely give the class a chance  =)  Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN