Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help me understand the BMR

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:51 PM
Ang
  • 5 Replies

Okay, I understand what a BMR is and why it is important to not eat below that, but what if you  are a sedentary person who wants to lose weight. Will you still lose weight just eating your BMR? Or, should you eat 500 less than to lose weight? This is what confuses me. I have read in here that many women started with watching calories first and fixing up their food choices then adding in physical activity. I guess what I am asking is if a person ate their BMR would they still lose weight because it is the lowest calories your body needs?

Angela mama to..

by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:55 PM

never eat below it.  

if they figure out a range for you in here- just stay within that range

audmom1218
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 12:22 AM
Even a sedentary person can eat above their bmr and still have a calorie deficit by eating, moving, and doing ordinary daily things. Your bmr is what is needed to keep your body Alive. Eating below it tells your body you're in famine so it conserves energy by literally killing off muscle and organs.
Erica_Smerica
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 12:27 AM

When I first started losing weight that's how I did it. I was nearly 250 pounds and completely sedentary. I seriously wouldn't even go outside to get the mail. I counted calories and ate 1600 a day. Then as the weight started coming off I felt like I could do more physical activity so I upped that. So to answer your question, yes you can lose weight by diet alone-- and if that's how you need to start that's totally fine. I wouldn't recommend eating below your BMR though.

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jul. 12, 2013 at 1:01 AM

I would eat only your BMR if you're completely sedentary.  Don't eat below that.  But even eating at your BMR, you'll create a calorie deficit, because your body burns more than your BMR doing the normal things you do each day.  Does that make more sense?  The BMR doesn't include calories burned while walking around, eating and digestion, talking, etc.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

angchick
by Ang on Jul. 12, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Got it, at least I know this will be a good start for me. Thanks

Quoting musicpisces:

I would eat only your BMR if you're completely sedentary.  Don't eat below that.  But even eating at your BMR, you'll create a calorie deficit, because your body burns more than your BMR doing the normal things you do each day.  Does that make more sense?  The BMR doesn't include calories burned while walking around, eating and digestion, talking, etc.

Angela mama to..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)