Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Me in a nutshell

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 12:23 AM
  • 4 Replies
3 moms liked this

The photo on the left is me at 235lbs and a size 18. The one on the right is me at 185 and a size 12.

I am a mother of two, who had been diagnosed with Lupus two years previous. I basically woke up one morning and decided enough was enough. I was a size 1X or XXL depending on the brand and I was tired of being fat and sick. I started taking care of my body, I started eating a diet that helped control my Lupus symptoms without medication, while my doctor watched.  I started running.

I barely made it a mile without wheezing for the first month. Then a friend of mine said she was running the Freihofers 5K and I decided I would too. My time was 48:55. I was so happy because I didn't give up, though I wanted to.  I kept it up and my body responded.  

I ran that 5K again with a time of 31:48. I'm not fast but I didn't stop.  A week later I ran my first Half Marathon with a time of 2:16:48. I am currently training to run a full marathon this fall.  

Everyone keeps asking me what I'm doing and my only answer is, I'm taking care of my body and not making any more excuses. I only get this one body and it's not perfect, but it's mine. 

You can do it too. Believe.

by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 12:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jul. 12, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Awesome, mama!  Way to overcome adversity!!  Keep it up!!

woohoo

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

DoofusAloofus
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 1:19 AM
Wow, what an amazing and inspirational achievement! I used to run and trying to get up the motivation to start again. Ugh, the getting started I think is the hardest.

My only negative comment... your name! You aren't frumpy, maybe you were being silly/sarcastic or self-deprecating (i do it, too). Anyway, congratulations!
FrumpyMama
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Yes, Getting started is the hardest part of anything.  The first two weeks are the hardest part of anything you try. 

And yes, I know my name is silly. I created the name after having my first. Those first months I was frumpy. lol.

Quoting DoofusAloofus:

Wow, what an amazing and inspirational achievement! I used to run and trying to get up the motivation to start again. Ugh, the getting started I think is the hardest.

My only negative comment... your name! You aren't frumpy, maybe you were being silly/sarcastic or self-deprecating (i do it, too). Anyway, congratulations!

FrumpyMama
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Thank You.

Quoting musicpisces:

Awesome, mama!  Way to overcome adversity!!  Keep it up!!

woohoo

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)