Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

and I thought I carried it well...

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 8:44 AM
  • 33 Replies

I have seen comments here and there about weight and the sizes of clothing people wear/wore at that weight and maybe I don''t carry it as well as I thought I did.  I knew I was fat, but at 239 and wearing an 18-20 I thought I was doing alright...

Now, I'm 176.  I am in 14 to 16 size pants (depending on what they are) or larges now  and was in 10-12's last time I lost weight and was in the mid 150's.  I am 5 ft 7 or 8, so it's not a height thing -or rather a lack of it

I just find it...odd? I guess that someone who is like 180 or 190 says they can wear size 12's, or someone around 200 can wear 14's

*I know I shouldn't compare myself to others-but somehow, I can't figure out how this can be!  

I don't really have a question or anything, just an observation really

by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 8:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KelliansMom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 8:48 AM
I don't find it odd. Every person is different hand carries weight differently. Hight has a lot to do with it too. Not to mention the size chart is not standard across brands. A size 12 is not always the same size between something from like kohls or something at target.
NiCo86
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 8:49 AM
yeah I'm 200 and wear a 14/16, but I'm only 5'3". I carry my weight okay. I can wear a 12 when I get down to 185/190.
crwspringer
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 8:54 AM
I am a large framed and muscular 217. Don't get me wrong, I'm fat too. And I wear a 14 or 16. Sometimes I need a x large top bc I'm 5'9" and have really broad shoulders and long arms.

When I weighed in the 160/170's I wore a 10.

I carry my weight pretty proportioned all throughout my body. I could see if I carried more in the lower section that my size would be larger.

It all depends on body structure.

Congrats on the excellent weight loss!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
azn_ladie82
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 8:58 AM

I'm 5'1, 202 lbs and I wear a size 16. A big part of my problem is that I have a lot of junk in the trunk. Weird saying that since I'm Asian and we're known for having no butts. Lol!

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Quoting azn_ladie82:

I'm 5'1, 202 lbs and I wear a size 16. A big part of my problem is that I have a lot of junk in the trunk. Weird saying that since I'm Asian and we're known for having no butts. Lol!

see?   I'm 5 ft 7 or 8 and don't have a lot of that (junk in the trunk- I mean ther is some-obviously-but my butt has never really been that much of a problem...at least I never thought it was ) and I'm 176 and still some 16's ...

odd

housewifehell
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 9:21 AM
3 moms liked this

Clothing sizes are crazy that's all it is lol. At one point I weighed 435 lbs and I was wearing a size 26 to 30 depending on the cut of jeans and in tops I wore a 1X up to  3X. I have lost weight I was wearing a 24 at 280 lbs and at 180 lbs I wear a large pants (10 -12) and a medium top.  When I was loosing it was super discouraging to go from 435 lbs down to 280 and I only lost a few pants sizes but there are days now when I grab an old pair of jeans out of the back of the closet and they are labeled 16 and they fit just right.  I have lost all hope in the labeled size on clothing and now I just go by how it fits.   I think a big part of it is where its made and where in the pile of fabric it was cut from. it all gets labeled one size because its cut from one pattern but its not always correct.

audmom1218
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 9:26 AM
I'm 180 and were a sZ 12-14 pant and xl top. I look fairly proportioned except my bodacious tatas!
charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting audmom1218:

I'm 180 and were a sZ 12-14 pant and xl top. I look fairly proportioned except my bodacious tatas!

yeah- I have those...so even when I could wear a smaller shirt-I really can't because of my DD-DDD's

just_hc
by Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Everyone carries weight different.  It really makes a difference how much lean muscle you have also.   I'm 5'4" and weigh 150lbs.  I'm a size 8.   I weighed 135 when I was a size 3/4.   I carry a lot of muscle so my weight takes up less space.

mjgm1966
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I'm 5'1.    I carry all my weight around my mid section.  I have no waiste line.   I think a lot of it does have to do with shape.  When you are bigger around the middle you have to wear bigger sizes.  I have a friend that is 5'9, who out weighs me by 25-30 pounds, yet we can wear the same size....just different lengths.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)