Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Delayed menstrual cycle?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 10:36 PM
  • 10 Replies

Anybody else have issues with hormones/menstrual cycle messing up after starting to work out regularly? 

I've been going to the gym 6 days/week the last month or so. I've lost 9lbs so far as well. How long does it take for it to go back to normal?

I'm about 10 days late right now. Pregnancy is not possible. DH had a vasectomy 2 years ago and no issues so far. Lol.

EDIT:

It came a couple of days after this post. I think it's just because I've been pushing so hard at the gym and I've changed my diet SO much. I may not have found the perfect balance in food yet. 

I'm liking it now, though. Yes, the first day was still as painful as usual but it's already starting to taper off. Normally it lasts like 8 days. Being active has it's benefits. Lol. It seems to just be doing it's thing faster. I haven't been as tired as I usually am during my cycle either. 

Thank you for all the replies!

by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 10:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jul. 13, 2013 at 12:21 AM
1 mom liked this

It could be, especially if this is a major change for you.  Would be a good idea to take a test just in case, as even sterilization isn't 100%.  I had a couple where BOTH of them had been sterilized, and I had to inform them they were pregnant.

Great job on the 9 lbs!!

As for when it will go back to normal, no way to say, really.  It varies widely, based on your body, your workouts, if you're eating enough, etc.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Caylaris1813
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 1:32 AM

Ty!

I'm pretty sure it's just delayed. I've been having mild cramping and almost had my monthly cry fest tonight. Lol. I will definitely be having DH get a sperm count test soon, just to ease my paranoia about that happening. 

As for workouts, I've been pushing pretty hard. I'm on a 3 day rotation. Half of my muscle groups plus cardio for day one, then the other half of muscle groups and cardio for day 2 then straight cardio day 3. As for the muscle groups the only things I haven't been doing are calves because they've always been pretty muscular and abs just because I've been so tired after cardio  I'm going to try squeezing that in, too. I just started this rotation this week. Before it was primarily lifting with cardio one day per week. 

I think I'm eating enough. Other than normal being tired I've felt pretty good plus taking vitamins and having a protein shake after each work out. I'm betting I start tomorrow since I made a post asking. Lol. And since I almost had my cry fest tonight. It usually happens within a couple of days of my period starting.

Quoting musicpisces:

It could be, especially if this is a major change for you.  Would be a good idea to take a test just in case, as even sterilization isn't 100%.  I had a couple where BOTH of them had been sterilized, and I had to inform them they were pregnant.

Great job on the 9 lbs!!

As for when it will go back to normal, no way to say, really.  It varies widely, based on your body, your workouts, if you're eating enough, etc.

MzScorpio227
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 3:38 PM
You might wanna factor in your age, and workout and other stresses which could cause a delay
with your menstrual cycle?
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 13, 2013 at 6:14 PM

My hormones/cycles actually got better when I started working out regularly.  I had issues, though, when I wasn't eating enough.

....and I wouldn't rule out a pregnancy.  LOL  My DD was born 29 months after DH's vasectomy, and both of his post-surgery tests were clear.

momof5kiki
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:38 AM
1 mom liked this

the doctor told my daughter that if it was delayed at all that you were doing harm to your body.  He said that they used to say if it stopped or became erratic that it meant that you were pushing hard, but they no longer say that.  If it stops or becomes late your body needs more nourishment.

tinkerbellp
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I thought I was pregnant last month I was supposet to start on June  10th and I was 2 dates late but it fnally came and I was dong my work out for almost 3 month but when I was sick witht eh bladder/kidney infection maybe that way I was late for my cycle but, this month as July it came on time I been doing called AI to get teh sperm you do it @ home from Jan till May 2013 and I did took break from April till end of May  I was suppose to do it in June but I started working in June so I m hoping it will work out for July to get pregnant and wish everyone good luck

MiszMassy66
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 1:37 PM

i do too.

rileysmommy229
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:38 PM

It wasn't until after i had lost 50 pounds (all i needed to lose) that i would skip cycles for maybe 5 months i only had 2 periods but now im super regular.

zombieskayer
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Unfortunantly vasectomies are not 100%. Yoiu can ask around here, there are stories of kids being born after a vasectomy!! Anyways I haven't had this issue but I hear it's common. I was actually expecting it but it just came the same time -_-" lol.

MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

atlmom2
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:07 PM
never had a delay from exercise. i would take a test.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN