Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fitness Video Games?

Posted by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 7:38 PM
  • 9 Replies
Has anyone had a lot of luck with these? I used to do the Wii Fit with my husband and it wasn't very exhilarating but it was something that we were both able to stick with doing every day. I was mainly concerned with improving my posture at the time but after baby #2 my needs have changed a bit, I'm looking to increase my workout and thinking a video game might be the way to go (and my husband has packed on the pounds as well so if I could find something we could both do that's even better). Any that are really good at targeting the midsection? Mine got really flabby and weak and I'm hoping to get it back into acceptable condition & and improve my overall health. I have a few fitness games lying around for various systems but I haven't really tried any of them since UFC Personal Trainer - that one kicked my butt! I was 2 months postpartum so maybe I just wasn't ready for it but it was very off putting! I've had a few people try to get me into Zumba and I know they have a popular video game but I really can't see myself doing that - I'm not much of a dancer. I'm more of an aggressive person and I just don't see dancing as aggressive. We have a Wii w/ balance board, PS3 w/ Move & 360 w/ kinect so I'm sure there are a lot of options but I honestly haven't even started to look for anything. Thought I'd ask you ladies (and facebook) first.
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 7:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
soon2Btwins
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 7:42 PM
Biggest loser
mckinneymom918
by Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 8:48 PM
I like the play your shape for Xbox, I've done about everything on it at least once and I've settled on the intermediate yoga routine on my nonrun days (23 minutes I think).
bluberri8306
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 11:52 PM

I love the wii fit

little_mama83
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Thank you ladies! I got absolutely ZERO responses on facebook. I guess most of my facebook friends are more social creatures and I'm more of a nerdy home body ... not interested in going to any of their fitness parties/classes and video games of almost any type appeal to me.

I just want something I can do whenever the kids have settled down for a bit. I've decided I'm going to start by going back to Wii Fit... I also have Wii Fit Plus which I never used because I ended up pregnant right after buying it. Right now I'm mentally rearranging my living room so I have room to set up the balance board and possibly use the Move & Kinect. My living room is SO crowded but every other tv in my house is tiny so there's really nowhere else for me to set up.

Still open to suggestions! I'll probably be in the market for some new games once I get my routine going and know that I'll actually use them this time!

LalasMommy1125
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:26 PM
I do zumba and just dance on the wii. The just dance has an exercise mode. They are both really fun oprions.
little_mama83
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Looked through my video game cabinet and found another game I've never used: active 2 personal trainer for kinect. I looked up the reviews and it generally gets about 3/5 stars... not too impressive but judging just by the case it sounds promising.  It also comes with a heart rate monitor which is a nice little addition... and it can have 2 players! So hopefully I can get my husband to "play" with me!

mindysue852
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 2:27 PM
I love the dance central games n if u practice enough it can become a good workout!
N_maricle
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 2:29 PM

I love the Zumba game. I do classes at the gym, and the game is super fun because its nice to pick the songs I like and learn those routines. It's  great workout too. You run lots of calories and sweat!

little_mama83
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Well, yesterday I talked my husband into  "playing" a fitness "game" with me but I told him he had to pick one so we went with the active 2 personal trainer for kinect... wow! It was challenging! And we had it set on easy/beginner... we were both sweating before we were even halfway through! And then to top it all off it froze right at the end of our workout and didn't save our progress! Argh! I didn't even get to see how many calories we burned!

Going to try it again tonight while he's at work and hope it's easier when we aren't in each other's way. I got kicked once last night... lol. It's not exactly fun but it's straightforward and will be useful if it actually logs my workouts from now on! It's kind of disheartening that something "easy" is so difficult but it's not going to get any easier if I don't keep trying. And this time I'm going to wear shoes! I was in my pjs and barefoot and my feet were killing me!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)