Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Trying to go low carb but finding it difficult

I cut out bread, rice, pasta and potatoes altogether but my carb intake today was still 254, yesterday it was 235 and the day before 266. My goal is to keep under 100. My mistake was drinking 2 sodas. I know, I know. I am trying to kick the soda habit, but only drinking 2 a day is honestly a real accomplishment. 

I am really struggling. My meals consist of 

Breakfast: Vanilla chex with almond milk

Lunch: Cottage cheese with fruit, fage yogurt and a cheese stick

Snack: Mixed nuts and dried plums

Dinner: Roasted chicken, broccoli and applesauce (this changes, but is usually a grilled or baked meat, veg and fruit)

Snack: Atkins bar

by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:22 PM
Replies (21-30):
itsm3
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 6:57 AM

you need to eat more protein and where are your healthy fats?  no wonder you're eating more carbs.

for bfast, add eggs. 

eat your snack between bfast/lunch.  mixed nuts + raw veggies.  or 1/2 cup greek yogurt + some fresh fruit

for lunch- imo, this should be your biggest meal -- add some chicken, salad, get rid of the cheese stick/yogurt, eat some quinoa and have a serving of fruit. add 1/2 avocado.

snack:  no dried plums; hummus and raw veggies

dinner:  get rid of the apple sauce; add in another salad, keep eveyrthing else.

ditch the soda 100% and drink plenty of water throughout the day.  when you feel like having soda, reach for your water instead.  i'm not kidding: the ONLY way to kick the habit is to NOT DRINK IT AT ALL.  it'll suck for a while but once your body gets used to it (about 2wks), you'll be fine.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 15, 2013 at 7:08 AM

These ladies have some great tips...good luck mama!

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 15, 2013 at 7:43 AM

Your body needs fuel.  Carbs are an easy fuel (but cause insulin spikes/extra carbs are stored as fat), fat makes the body work for fuel but it's a very efficient fuel (you don't need as many ketones as you do carbs), and protein is the body's 3rd choice...but not a good one.  If you cut carbs, you HAVE to increase the fat or you will get sick.  Fat can come from avocados, fatty fish, coconut oil, olive oil, nuts, real butter, cheese and other animal products (from pastured animals is healthiest.)

Quoting calsmom62:

i didnt know that. every time i try to cut carbs its usually in concert with lean. low fat foods. and its like i am constantly thinking what else i can eat until by the third day im devouring a stack of toast

Quoting norahsmommy:

If you want to eat low carb you can't also eat low fat. Your body will suffer.

Quoting Mrs.Torres2566:

I hate eggs, they are so gross. And what lean meats are breakfast foods? All I know of is bacon, sausage an ham, WAY too much grease and sodium.

Quoting lillybug222:

Skip the cereal for breakfast & increase your protein...eggs, lean meat.

roxysmommy
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this

That's still quite a bit of fruit for a low carb diet. When I first went low carb I found it very important to make sure I was getting plenty of healthy fats. The same holds true today, but the fats help to keep the carb cravings at bay and they keep you full longer while providing energy and many other health benefits.

Mrs.Torres2566
by Amanda on Jul. 15, 2013 at 2:35 PM

I am gonna try to eat eggs. I don't like them but I know they are good for low carb /  high fat diets. As far as the yogurt and cheeses, I have brittle bones and bad teeth due to low calcium. I tried calcium pills, 3 different types, and all gave me kidney stones. So my doc said eat cheese and yogurt, and drink milk for the calcium. I do dried plums and applesauce because I have...um...*whispers* toilet issues. Doc says natural foods like this are healthier than taking a stool softener. 

I KNOW I need to eat a big meal at breakfast or lunch, but it's so impossible. I am always running around, so something quick and light is great. And honestly it's better than before, when I would skip both meals and then devour a huge fast food dinner. 

I will be adding in a salad with dinner tho, and will try to add in one to lunch. Thanks for the input!

Quoting itsm3:

you need to eat more protein and where are your healthy fats?  no wonder you're eating more carbs.

for bfast, add eggs. 

eat your snack between bfast/lunch.  mixed nuts + raw veggies.  or 1/2 cup greek yogurt + some fresh fruit

for lunch- imo, this should be your biggest meal -- add some chicken, salad, get rid of the cheese stick/yogurt, eat some quinoa and have a serving of fruit. add 1/2 avocado.

dinner:  get rid of the apple sauce; add in another salad, keep eveyrthing else.

ditch the soda 100% and drink plenty of water throughout the day.  when you feel like having soda, reach for your water instead.  i'm not kidding: the ONLY way to kick the habit is to NOT DRINK IT AT ALL.  it'll suck for a while but once your body gets used to it (about 2wks), you'll be fine.

Mrs.Torres2566
by Amanda on Jul. 15, 2013 at 2:37 PM

The fruit is the only thing that keeps my sugar cravings at bay :(

Quoting roxysmommy:

That's still quite a bit of fruit for a low carb diet. When I first went low carb I found it very important to make sure I was getting plenty of healthy fats. The same holds true today, but the fats help to keep the carb cravings at bay and they keep you full longer while providing energy and many other health benefits.

itsm3
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 2:55 PM

if you want to be regular, add oatmeal, water and avocados to your diet.  i swear, it just slides right out every single day.

Quoting Mrs.Torres2566:

I am gonna try to eat eggs. I don't like them but I know they are good for low carb /  high fat diets. As far as the yogurt and cheeses, I have brittle bones and bad teeth due to low calcium. I tried calcium pills, 3 different types, and all gave me kidney stones. So my doc said eat cheese and yogurt, and drink milk for the calcium. I do dried plums and applesauce because I have...um...*whispers* toilet issues. Doc says natural foods like this are healthier than taking a stool softener. 

I KNOW I need to eat a big meal at breakfast or lunch, but it's so impossible. I am always running around, so something quick and light is great. And honestly it's better than before, when I would skip both meals and then devour a huge fast food dinner. 

I will be adding in a salad with dinner tho, and will try to add in one to lunch. Thanks for the input!

Quoting itsm3:

for bfast, add eggs. 

Mrs.Torres2566
by Amanda on Jul. 15, 2013 at 2:59 PM

I can't stomach avocado, but LOVE LOVE LOVE oatmeal. Yum!

Quoting itsm3:

if you want to be regular, add oatmeal, water and avocados to your diet.  i swear, it just slides right out every single day.

Quoting Mrs.Torres2566:

Quoting itsm3:

for bfast, add eggs. 

VeggieRunnerMom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Personally limit carbs but don't cut them. Your body needs your diet to be balanced :)

Mrs.Torres2566
by Amanda on Jul. 16, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Yep, I limit them to under 100g.

Quoting VeggieRunnerMom:

Personally limit carbs but don't cut them. Your body needs your diet to be balanced :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)