Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Trying to go low carb but finding it difficult

I cut out bread, rice, pasta and potatoes altogether but my carb intake today was still 254, yesterday it was 235 and the day before 266. My goal is to keep under 100. My mistake was drinking 2 sodas. I know, I know. I am trying to kick the soda habit, but only drinking 2 a day is honestly a real accomplishment. 

I am really struggling. My meals consist of 

Breakfast: Vanilla chex with almond milk

Lunch: Cottage cheese with fruit, fage yogurt and a cheese stick

Snack: Mixed nuts and dried plums

Dinner: Roasted chicken, broccoli and applesauce (this changes, but is usually a grilled or baked meat, veg and fruit)

Snack: Atkins bar

by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:22 PM
Replies (31-35):
AviannasMama
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:45 PM
I'm trying to lose the 40+lbs I gained w my son and still have 25 to go. Hes almost 4mo and I'm STUCK. Here's the problem. ..every single thing you just listed I hate. I hate almost anything healthy. I cant even give up carbs, let alone dairy and my greek yogurt! I think I'm screwed. ..

Quoting norahsmommy:

Don't try to eat that many carbs. It is way too high unless you are an endurance athlete.

I am pregnant now and not in weight loss mode but I still only eat 150 carbs a day give or take a few. When I was in weight loss mode I ate 50 grams or less a day. My carbs were about 10% of my total I take and fat was about 60-70% of my total intake. Protein took up the rest. I ate lots and lots of leafy dark greens, cauliflower, turnips ( which make idea potato substitute in stew, I ate limited fruit and chose only low sugar fruits in small portions. I would have 2 or 3 eggs scrambled for breakfast with chopped mushroom, onion, kale and bell pepper with pepper jack cheese. That is delicious and I really don't like eggs.

I would eat stuffed bell peppers with minced cauliflower instead of rice as the filler, with spicy sausage, tomato sauce, onion, kale, and cheese. It had far fewer carbs than traditional stuffed peppers and is delicious. Add Italian seasonings and it tastes like a lasagna without noodles ;).

Snacks were almonds and other nuts or bell pepper smothered with non sweetened peanut butter. (If you put it on a red bell its very sweet and yummy!)

Now that I'm pregnant I eat most of the same stuff but I've included more starchy veggies like peas and other legumes and squash. I also eat any fruit I want in modest portions.

Quoting Mrs.Torres2566:

I use MFP, but think the carbs intake they give me is WAY too high.

Quoting norahsmommy:

You are still eating quite a bit of sugar, not enough fat for low carbing and not enough calories.

You need a food tracker app. My fitness pal is good. You need to look at your total carbs and then subtract the fiber from that total. You need to be eating low sugar fruit like berries and stay away from banana and pineapple. Eat turnips and cauliflower in place of potato and rice and other high starch things. Eat non sweetened yogurt with berries not sweetened. Limit your milk, almond milk or otherwise. There are a lot of sneaky carbs. Watch your coffee creamers too. It's best to use real heavy cream of you want creamy taste but no sweetener. Check out marks daily apple for ideas on how to adjust your diet.

Mrs.Torres2566
by Amanda on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:36 PM

For a low carb / high fat diet, you don't have to give up dairy. Cheese has little to no carbs, and fage greek yogurt is semi low carb. I eat for a snack all the times and have been able to get my carb intake to around 80ish a day, which is awesome. I just do lots of meat, cheese, eggs, fruit (I am careful which ones to eat), and veggies. I love fauxtatoes with cauliflower (and I'm not a huge fan of cauliflower). Food network has a fantastic recipe. My DH and kids raved about it.

Quoting AviannasMama:

I'm trying to lose the 40+lbs I gained w my son and still have 25 to go. Hes almost 4mo and I'm STUCK. Here's the problem. ..every single thing you just listed I hate. I hate almost anything healthy. I cant even give up carbs, let alone dairy and my greek yogurt! I think I'm screwed. ..

Quoting norahsmommy:

Don't try to eat that many carbs. It is way too high unless you are an endurance athlete.

I am pregnant now and not in weight loss mode but I still only eat 150 carbs a day give or take a few. When I was in weight loss mode I ate 50 grams or less a day. My carbs were about 10% of my total I take and fat was about 60-70% of my total intake. Protein took up the rest. I ate lots and lots of leafy dark greens, cauliflower, turnips ( which make idea potato substitute in stew, I ate limited fruit and chose only low sugar fruits in small portions. I would have 2 or 3 eggs scrambled for breakfast with chopped mushroom, onion, kale and bell pepper with pepper jack cheese. That is delicious and I really don't like eggs.

I would eat stuffed bell peppers with minced cauliflower instead of rice as the filler, with spicy sausage, tomato sauce, onion, kale, and cheese. It had far fewer carbs than traditional stuffed peppers and is delicious. Add Italian seasonings and it tastes like a lasagna without noodles ;).

Snacks were almonds and other nuts or bell pepper smothered with non sweetened peanut butter. (If you put it on a red bell its very sweet and yummy!)

Now that I'm pregnant I eat most of the same stuff but I've included more starchy veggies like peas and other legumes and squash. I also eat any fruit I want in modest portions.

Quoting Mrs.Torres2566:

I use MFP, but think the carbs intake they give me is WAY too high.

Quoting norahsmommy:

You are still eating quite a bit of sugar, not enough fat for low carbing and not enough calories.

You need a food tracker app. My fitness pal is good. You need to look at your total carbs and then subtract the fiber from that total. You need to be eating low sugar fruit like berries and stay away from banana and pineapple. Eat turnips and cauliflower in place of potato and rice and other high starch things. Eat non sweetened yogurt with berries not sweetened. Limit your milk, almond milk or otherwise. There are a lot of sneaky carbs. Watch your coffee creamers too. It's best to use real heavy cream of you want creamy taste but no sweetener. Check out marks daily apple for ideas on how to adjust your diet.

karisma22
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 2:11 AM

I would skip the cereal and almond milk for breakfast.  Have some protein, healthy carbs and healthy fat.  Maybe add some vegies to your lunch and protein to your snack.

Mrs.Torres2566
by Amanda on Jul. 17, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Today we had eggs and bacon instead. Much more filling.

Quoting karisma22:

I would skip the cereal and almond milk for breakfast.  Have some protein, healthy carbs and healthy fat.  Maybe add some vegies to your lunch and protein to your snack.

karisma22
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 1:37 PM

you rock I had scrambled eggs with Canadian bacon and cheese.

Quoting Mrs.Torres2566:

Today we had eggs and bacon instead. Much more filling.

Quoting karisma22:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN