Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

10 Crazy Theme Races That Are So Weird You Just Have to Check Them Out

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:34 PM
  • 6 Replies

10 Crazy Theme Races That Are So Weird You Just Have to Check Them Out

by Emily Abbate

Color RunSure, maybe you have friends that like to run regular old 5Ks, half marathons, and the like. But the latest trend in racing has everything to do with all things obscure and wacky. Whether it's running 2.5 miles while scarfing down hot dogs or completing a 5K while getting doused in neon paint, so many of today's fun road races and obstacle courses have nothing to do with athletic ability. It's all about showing up, trying something different, and living to tell the often hilarious story (that is, if you escape the zombies).

Seriously. A race with zombies. Go on, take a look at these 10 wacky races that are anything but your average 5K:

1. Color Run: A 5K race that occurs in cities all over the country where runners start out wearing white and end up completely doused in bright colored dust. Makes for a whole lotta fun pictures!

2. The Krispy Kreme Challenge: Located in Raleigh at North Carolina State University, participants run 2.5 miles, inhale a dozen Krispy Kreme donuts, and THEN run another 2.5 miles to the finish line. My stomach hurts just thinking about this one.

3. The Tough Mudder: A 10- to 12-mile obstacle course designed by British Special Forces that tests your mental and physical limits. Oh and of course, like the name says, you're gonna get messy.

4. The Spartan Race: Featuring fire, water, barbed wire, and mud -- the Spartan Race's goal is to "rip competitors from their comfort zone." Yeah, intense is an understatement.

5. Dirty Girl Run: An all-women's 5K run featuring 12 obstacles and a whole lot of mud.

6. Run for Your Lives: A 5K that has participants "running for their lives" while being chased by zombies. The best part? At the end runners can celebrate their survival at a festival complete with a DJ, live bands, food, and beer.

7. Cupid's Undie Run: A fundraiser to benefit the Children's Tumor Foundation, this Valentine's Day weekend run happens in 30+ cities worldwide. Just like the name, all competitors run in their skivvies.

8. Glow-in-the-Dark 5K Dance Party: Put on by LivingSocial, runners rock a ton of glow-in-the-dark swag, run around Citi Field, and jam out to music in the dark along the 5K route. Post-race, the whole thing turns into one major party with a DJ, local entertainment, cash bar, and food.

9. Twinkie Run: Held on April Fools' Day in Ann Arbor at Gallup Park, this 5K features Twinkies before, during, and after the race.

10. The New York Hot Dog Challenge: During a 2.5-mile run throughout Midtown Manhattan, runners must stop at 10 predetermined food carts, purchase a hot dog, and scarf it down before moving on to the next station.

Have you done any of these races? Do you want to?

by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
bigred1058
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 3:30 AM
I'm doing my first 5K this saturday the 20 in Hartford it's a Run or Dye ( basically a color run) and there is an Electric Run August 10 at night I'm doing with my S.O and friends
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 15, 2013 at 7:16 AM

I'm doing a Color me Rad race in November:)

Reina13
by Reina on Jul. 15, 2013 at 7:44 AM

I have done regular 5Ks mostly, but I did the Zombie run this past December and a Muddy Buddy last May.

I want to do a Color Run and one day I hope to be able to do the Tough Mudder.

Silvertears1275
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 8:02 AM

I've done The Color Run and Color Me Rad.  I've done a local Mud Run, too.  I'd love to do something like a Tough Mudder or Dirty Girl Run.  Some sort of obstacle race.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 15, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Go Tough Mudders and Spartans!

rfhsure
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I'm doing the run for your life one, were hosting it here in seattle

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN