Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Calorie and Exercise

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:30 PM
  • 7 Replies

I am an advocate of "no question is a dumb question" but am having a hard time making sure I am understanding this correctly (and I'm afraid it's simple and I'm overthinking it)...

For example, calorie intake (to lose) is 1500.  I exercise and burn 200 calories.  Does that mean I am technically *needing* to eat 1700 calories on a given day in order to recoup the burned calories so I can properly lose weight?

by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 1:04 PM

where did you get 1500 from- did they figure that out for you in here?

*the answer kind of depends on where that number comes from / how it was figured

..Sarah..
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 1:42 PM
Hi. As stated, 1500 is an example for the question.

Could you expound on what makes the difference?

Quoting charlotsomtimes:

where did you get 1500 from- did they figure that out for you in here?

*the answer kind of depends on where that number comes from / how it was figured

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Best thing I can tell you then is to have someone figure out your BMR and let you know the range of calories you need- then just stick within that range - they will figure it for your activity level.

*I thought you got that number somewhere and was wondering how it was figured

..Sarah..
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 2:22 PM
I already have my own and confirmed. So, is there not a science behind this?
..Sarah..
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 2:26 PM
I just want to know if I burn say 200 during treadmill activity, do I need to replace the 200 in my diet?

I don't need anyone to figure out my numbers as my doctor and separately, the trainer at the gym confirmed my numbers. I just don't have the finances to rehire them to answer this simple question.
Crashmonster1
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 2:39 PM

If you are taking in 1500 and you want to have a 500 calorie deficit in order to lose (1lbs per week) weight then you deduct the calories that you burned from your workout and then adjust your diet accordingly however if you have already decreased your caloric intake then yes you would need eat the difference (in healthy options) it all depends on if what you are taking in is already a deduction from what you would normally take in

..Sarah..
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 2:42 PM
Thank you!

Quoting Crashmonster1:

If you are taking in 1500 and you want to have a 500 calorie deficit in order to lose (1lbs per week) weight then you deduct the calories that you burned from your workout and then adjust your diet accordingly however if you have already decreased your caloric intake then yes you would need eat the difference (in healthy options) it all depends on if what you are taking in is already a deduction from what you would normally take in

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)