Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does calorie counting help you lose weight?

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:05 AM
  • 27 Replies

So I need to lose at least 25 pounds. I've heard of calorie counting, but never tried it.  Has this worked for anyone? If so, how much calories a day max should you consume??

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Pedro
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:10 AM
Yes, but in a roundabout kind of way. It keeps me aware of what I'm eating and how many calories those foods have per serving. It helps to keep me accountable as well, because I will only eat healthy things and just a bite or two of crap foods that I crave... Because the healthy stuff I can eat more of and feel fuller than if I eat the crap foods. It doesn't do much for you if you eat too many or too few calories or if you eat crap food calories. The old saying of you are what you eat... Eat crap foods and your body doesn't work as well.
mcginnisc
by Claire on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Calorie counting is very easy if you use a website/app to do so. www.myfitnesspal.com is probably the most popular of the sites. 

I can do your BMR for you and give you the range you need for your body. I need your age, height, weight, if you are breastfeeding, and the number of days you workout per week and what types of workouts you do so I know which formula to use for you. 

Coupling calorie tracking, eating cleanly, and workingout together will help you to lose weight. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Works for me.

I plan each day -so I can stick to the right amount

randomosityblog
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Yes! I count calories daily and it helps me stay on track.

UnveilB3
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:08 AM

I'm 5'2, 168 lbs and I usually work out 3-4 times a week.. Not breast feeding.

Quoting mcginnisc:

Calorie counting is very easy if you use a website/app to do so. www.myfitnesspal.com is probably the most popular of the sites. 

I can do your BMR for you and give you the range you need for your body. I need your age, height, weight, if you are breastfeeding, and the number of days you workout per week and what types of workouts you do so I know which formula to use for you. 

Coupling calorie tracking, eating cleanly, and workingout together will help you to lose weight. 

UnveilB3
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Just signed up to myfitnesspal.com. It's great. Thanks. Makes calorie counting so much easy.

Quoting mcginnisc:

LisaRoyNKaden
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:38 AM

I calorie count, but I use sparkpeople.com. I lost 5 pounds last week..  (granted, it was my first week eating better, but still!)  

HappyGirl77
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:40 AM

It definitely helps me.  I like My Fitness Pal or Loee It apps.  i can input all my food and I know how much I have left at dinner or at the end of the day if I want a snack.  Also, it helps me make better food choices.  I know when I am food logging, I tend to pay way more attention to what is going in my body and making sure I get  good mix of protein, carbs and good for you fats.  i also tend to not snack as much, because I don't want to worry about logging two bites of a brownie or 3 potato chips.  The easiest way to figure out how much you should be consuming is to find an online program, enter in your lifestyle (sedentary, active, etc) weight, height, age, how much you want to lose, etc.  Then it spits back a number for you to follow.  Good luck!  

roxysmommy
by Sarah on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this

It did help me to begin with, but I also get super OCD about it and end up miserable. But it did help me to become aware of how much I was eating. I ended up progressing to a paleo diet and never count calories and I'm down 52 lbs and within 5 lbs of my goal weight (not that it matters anymore, I'm aiming for a certain look now). 

mrsc19
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:51 AM

yes, ive lost 9 pounds in a month and a half. i dont use myfitnesspal...i have a small notebook and pen and write down everything...from the mustard i put in my sandwich to that 1 french fry i ate. for me i try and consume 1200-1500 calories a day. if i dont know how many calories is in something i google it. i go to the gym and i do not  re-eat the calories ive burned off. on the weekends i do tend to eat more just because we do eat out on the weekend but i try and not over do it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)