Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Eat like the French! .....an informative article

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:30 AM
  • 4 Replies

http://renegadehealth.com/blog/eating-habits-france

Eating Habits of Americans vs. French People and Europeans

Thursday Jul 11, 2013 | BY | | Comments (62)

iStock_000018031336Small

This year I’ve been doing some traveling, mostly in Europe. This brought me to some interesting realizations about some cultural differences in eating between Europeans and Americans.

I live in Montreal, which culturally finds itself between Europe and America. Depending where you live in Montreal, it can feel more like you’re in America, or Europe.

I’ve also lived in the USA and travelled there quite a bit. I’ve visited over 25 countries and I’ve been to Europe many times. I’ve been four or five times to France, a couple of times to Eastern Europe, 8 or 9 times to England, a few times to Spain and Italy, and so on.

Whenever I go back and forth between countries, some important differences in eating habits become very apparent to me.

But first, why does it matter?

In America, obesity rates reach over 30% of the population. In France, it’s 11%. The 11% obesity rate in France is caused by the fact that French people are starting to eat more like Americans, because obesity rates used to be only 5.5% in 1995.

In America, 33.8% of the adult population is now considered obese. In 1997 it used to be 19.4%. Keep in mind that we’re talking about obesity here, which means a BMI over 30. For example, for me to become obese, at a height of 5 foot 10 inches, I would have to weigh about 210 pounds.

So even though the French, and other Europeans, are going in the wrong direction with their eating habits, they still have a long way to go to reach the horrendous proportions in America.

So let’s take a look at some important cultural differences.

Read the rest of the article at the above link!

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I can't get to the article from work, but I've read several articles about this.  I find it interesting that with such rich foods, they have a lower obesity rate.  It points to not just the food but HOW we eat as well.  When we were in Europe, we noticed that portions were definitely smaller and even though there would be really rich foods there was more of a balance in meals and in eating.  I think we Americans overindulge and there was an article years ago citing some correaltion with our economic strength and our eating habits.

Lesgerm
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Great article :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BellaElla
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this
I just returned from London last month and noticed huge differences- much smaller plates served at restaurants. Most people drink sparkling or still water, not soda. Way less "fast food " options. My husband , kids and I are moving there next month. Hoping it will spark positive changes in my body. Londoners also walk a lot - most don't have cars since they have great transportation , but there is still lots of walking involved.
roxysmommy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Love this article!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)