Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Running, running, running........le BOO!

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:39 AM
  • 10 Replies

I'm not much of a fan of running but eh....it is what it is.

I'm meeting a lot of my fitness goals already and I need to make new ones...YIPPIE!

Because of my career choice and my impending doom in the fire phase of the program I'm in, I spoke to a female firefighter about how to get ready.....run 5 miles.

SAY WTF?

I suck at running, it's just not my thing but I started running on the tredmill and eh, I'm slow but whatever.

Friday, I ran a 14:27 and I stopped twice and walked for a two or three minutes.

Today, I ran a 13:13 and I DIDN'T stop! lol BOO! I could have swore my pace was faster than that! LOL.

So, I ran a mile non-stop, yippie for me but now to get up to 5 miles AND increase my pace.

At the start of the phase you have to be able to run a mile and a half (if I'm not mistaken in 15 minutes and still be able to continue to work directly after that); obviously, I'm not there because I'm about a step away from death when I'm done and my time is bad.

SOOOOOOOOOO, help me out.

How can I increase both my distance and improve my pace at the same time? I have such an issue breathing so it can't be anything quick.

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stefanie83
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Great job! I'm not a runner, but do you think c25k would help?

BeAmour
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:41 AM
I was thinking that, too. I haven't looked at the program in detail but I know for sure I'm ahead a few weeks.

Quoting Stefanie83:

brittney28
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:43 AM
Good job! I love to run with my baby in her jogger stroller.
BeAmour
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Running and I are enemies. I only like to run if my endurance is up already and I feel like a badass. Lol

It's nuts because I have been in the gym training about 7.5 months and I can do everything cardio related like a boss but let me actually run a mile outside, I'm like derp, derp, derp. Lol

Quoting brittney28:

Good job! I love to run with my baby in her jogger stroller.
M4LG5
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:02 PM

C25K is a great start to running.  Also, in your off days, I recommend doing some strength/circuit training.  Cross training will actually help increase your running.

Quoting BeAmour:

I was thinking that, too. I haven't looked at the program in detail but I know for sure I'm ahead a few weeks.

Quoting Stefanie83:

MamaJessx3
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:48 PM
1 mom liked this
C25k is a great start but basically the best way to increase distance and pace is just to continue to run. Run 3-4 days a week. The more you run the faster you will get. Just make sure you aren't increasing your mileage more than 10% per week.
BeAmour
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:55 PM
I actually work with a trainer 5 days a week in the gym, too. I'm already pretty fit just running and I hate each other. Lol.

Quoting M4LG5:

C25K is a great start to running.  Also, in your off days, I recommend doing some strength/circuit training.  Cross training will actually help increase your running.

Quoting BeAmour:

Quoting Stefanie83:

BeAmour
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:58 PM
Thank you :)!

I tried the whole running thing last year and I got up to 2.5mi in a few months. I have about a year to get up to 5 so I can take it slow.

I workout 5 days a week with my trainer but need to get some "real-time" training outside if the gym since the academy is nothing but outside, full endurance stuff with 50+ extra pounds of gear.

Quoting MamaJessx3:

C25k is a great start but basically the best way to increase distance and pace is just to continue to run. Run 3-4 days a week. The more you run the faster you will get. Just make sure you aren't increasing your mileage more than 10% per week.
mama0106
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:12 PM
I love too run it is my favorite thing to do
When I see people running it makes me want to get my running shoes and jus run
BeAmour
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:16 PM
I hate it until I get a good time and distance, lol.

Quoting mama0106:

I love too run it is my favorite thing to do

When I see people running it makes me want to get my running shoes and jus run
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)