Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

I'm so slow... :/

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 2:34 PM
  • 3 Replies

This is the most Un-chipper I've been in a while.

I have been doing amazing at everything. I'm happy, I'm losing something if not weight (I don't check my weight). I am doing alright and getting better at everything I do aside from one very important thing. I'm doing better at Insanity, the elliptical, and weight training. But when it comes to running it's like I'm in a bad dream. You know in a dream you try to run so fast but you just cant, you go slow even though you feel like you Have to get away. That's me running. I don't get any better at endurance. I suck at the C25K program because I can't last that long or run for... bananas. I suck.

My knees hurt sometimes, and shin splints are killer but I can get through pain. I just cant last long and I am so painfully slow it's just sad. I don't want to go to the track anymore because it's pretty pathetic to see me run. My 10yo daughter  laps me because if she doesn't I would hold her back. My 6yo son I can't even catch when he runs. How can I go so long on the elliptical "running" until I sweat buckets and can't even speak but put me on flat ground and I'm a tortise.

Instead of just running at the track I'm thinking of also doing sprints across the length of the back yard everyday. At least then no one can see me. It's kind of depressing when I think about it, so I've been shoving it out of my mind for the last 4 weeks and just doing the best I could. But I'm not getting any better or faster at running and I have a 5k in a month. :/ By now I should be able to run for 5min straight according to C25K, but I can't even run 1min still. I drink plenty of water, I stretch, I do freaking insanity and can run in place and jump and whatever sweat all over the floor, but I cant just run. I want to run and I want to be fast. I put in the work but I'm getting nothing. There's something wrong here.

Suffer The Pain Of Discipline.

Or Suffer The Pain Of Regret.

by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 2:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 18, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Just an idea....

I would find someone with experience to watch you run and especially be critical of your stride.  If your stride isn't right, your body works extra hard just to move.

You may have to see a professional trainer or even a medical professional.  I have a hard time running, and my chiropractor/kinesiologist found that I have some damage up high in a quad...it doesn't really hurt, but it affects my stride and makes my body move all wrong, which makes me work harder.  To use another example, my childhood BFF could never run.  She was xrayed as an adult and they found that one of her hips wasn't seated properly and probably never had been. 

You can do all of the other things because they use different muscles than when actually running.

TheBookSiren
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I see a chiro fairly regularly for a pelvis disorder, I used have to be in a wheelchair and after my 4th child I still have issues. Doing things like pushups hurt my pelvis so much, so I guess that would make sense! Thanks!

I was always told as a child I ran "wrong" as well. lol

Quoting michiganmom116:

Just an idea....

I would find someone with experience to watch you run and especially be critical of your stride.  If your stride isn't right, your body works extra hard just to move.

You may have to see a professional trainer or even a medical professional.  I have a hard time running, and my chiropractor/kinesiologist found that I have some damage up high in a quad...it doesn't really hurt, but it affects my stride and makes my body move all wrong, which makes me work harder.  To use another example, my childhood BFF could never run.  She was xrayed as an adult and they found that one of her hips wasn't seated properly and probably never had been. 

You can do all of the other things because they use different muscles than when actually running.

Suffer The Pain Of Discipline.

Or Suffer The Pain Of Regret.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 18, 2013 at 2:46 PM

That might explain it.  Ask your chiro the next time you see him/her if the disorder would affect your running.

As for now?  I'd say the elliptical or Insanity are plenty for cardio workouts!

Quoting TheBookSiren:

I see a chiro fairly regularly for a pelvis disorder, I used have to be in a wheelchair and after my 4th child I still have issues. Doing things like pushups hurt my pelvis so much, so I guess that would make sense! Thanks!

I was always told as a child I ran "wrong" as well. lol

Quoting michiganmom116:

Just an idea....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)