Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

bmr help.

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:34 PM
  • 14 Replies
I would like to know my bmr.

I am 180lbs working out five days a week. Doing treadmill. For bout an hour and a half. The treadmill says in burning 500 calories. Going 2.8. Also doing crunchies.

Ladies, please help. I feel so bad bout myself. I would like to lose 40 lbs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcginnisc
by Claire on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:41 PM

I need your age and height and if you are breastfeeding. 

The odds of you burning that many calories only walking at 2.8 mph is very slim. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

nkak2005
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 12:35 AM
Really :( i am 24 and 5.3. Should i get a monitor to wear while i walk. I can't go much faster. If i run, my chest burns.

Quoting mcginnisc:

The odds of you burning that many calories only walking at 2.8 mph is very slim. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by Claire on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Quoting nkak2005:

Really :( i am 24 and 5.3. Should i get a monitor to wear while i walk. I can't go much faster. If i run, my chest burns.

Quoting mcginnisc:

BMR: 1621

Maintenance while working out 3-5 days per week: 1621*1.55=2512

To lose 1 lb per week: 2512-500=2012

Your ideal calorie range is 1621-2012 calories per day to lose 1 lb per week. 

Do you have a heart condition? Have you spoken to your physician about your chest burning? It could be due to a heart issue or it just could be due to being out of shape. Most people have that sensation when they are just starting to increase their cardio regimen, but if it is concerning, then you should be seen by your physician to rule out anything. 

Running is not the only way to lose weight. :-)  There are plenty of ways to workout. The important things are: enjoy what you are doing, get your heart rate up for 30 minutes, do cardio 4-5x per week, strength training 2-3x per week, and flexibility 2-3x per week. There are tons of dvds on the market for a reasonable price ( $10 most of the time), you can find workouts on Netflix, On Demand, youtube and hulu. 

You can invest in a tracking monitor. I have one that I really like. I wore a bodybugg for many years but I was tired of paying the yearly subscription so I recently purchased a Fitbit Flex that I wear 24/7 on my wrist. It tracks my calories, sleep, steps, and my food.There are others on the market as well: bodybugg, bodymedia, fitbit one, fitbit zip, withings, jawbone UP, and of course there are just heart rate monitors that are worn with a chest strap only during workouts. Personally, I like knowing how many calories I am burning all day long. ( I'm slightly anal rententive..lol) 

Claire

nkak2005
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:39 AM
Thanks.

Ok so for working out, if i get the 30 day shred and do that about 5 days a week, would that cover my cardio.

What can i do for strength training and flexibility.

I am new to this and can't afford a gym so trying to do it all myself.

So if ieat that many calories, i should be able to lose. It gets confusing cause if i make a diner in not sure how many calories it has so i just try to eat the right portion of everything.

Also heard you shouldn't eat after certain time, is that true.

Thanks for al your help.

I am so determine to do this, but i just have no idea how :(

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting nkak2005:

Quoting mcginnisc:

Do you have a heart condition? Have you spoken to your physician about your chest burning? It could be due to a heart issue or it just could be due to being out of shape. Most people have that sensation when they are just starting to increase their cardio regimen, but if it is concerning, then you should be seen by your physician to rule out anything. 

Running is not the only way to lose weight. :-)  There are plenty of ways to workout. The important things are: enjoy what you are doing, get your heart rate up for 30 minutes, do cardio 4-5x per week, strength training 2-3x per week, and flexibility 2-3x per week. There are tons of dvds on the market for a reasonable price ( $10 most of the time), you can find workouts on Netflix, On Demand, youtube and hulu. 

You can invest in a tracking monitor. I have one that I really like. I wore a bodybugg for many years but I was tired of paying the yearly subscription so I recently purchased a Fitbit Flex that I wear 24/7 on my wrist. It tracks my calories, sleep, steps, and my food.There are others on the market as well: bodybugg, bodymedia, fitbit one, fitbit zip, withings, jawbone UP, and of course there are just heart rate monitors that are worn with a chest strap only during workouts. Personally, I like knowing how many calories I am burning all day long. ( I'm slightly anal rententive..lol) 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by Claire on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Quoting nkak2005:

Thanks.

Ok so for working out, if i get the 30 day shred and do that about 5 days a week, would that cover my cardio. Yep! The 30DS is a great beginner workout. It will also incorporate strength and flexibility! 

What can i do for strength training and flexibility. The Shred will add some, but you can also do pushups, lunges, squats, pull ups, crunches, Yoga, Pilates...

I am new to this and can't afford a gym so trying to do it all myself. Eh..you don't need the gym! You can do it all at home. You can use your kids as weights as well as your own body weight. Weights are great, but make do for now. :-) 

So if ieat that many calories, i should be able to lose. It gets confusing cause if i make a diner in not sure how many calories it has so i just try to eat the right portion of everything. If you use www.myfitnesspal.com to track your calories, you can build your own recipes in there. It will do the calorie counting for you. Just build your recipe, how many servings it is and they do the rest. 

Also heard you shouldn't eat after certain time, is that true. Pssshhh... nah... you can eat whenever you want. There are times I eat something at 10 pm..( protein such as nuts or cheese...even PB)

Thanks for al your help.

I am so determine to do this, but i just have no idea how :(....You've got this! You have to believe in yourself and DO NOT be afraid to ask questions. This group is great for support. There is a wealth of information and knowledge in the group as well. Many ladies in the group have lost 100+ lbs on their own by eating well and exercising, some are nursing students ( Suz for instance), some are Beachbody coaches, and some are Personal Trainers...( I am studying to get my Personal Trainer Certifications currently)  

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting nkak2005:

Quoting mcginnisc:

Claire

nkak2005
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 12:11 PM
Thank you so much. But until i am able to get those things, the workout videos nd weights, will walking andeating right actually help me lose weight. I know the eating right part is a good thing.

In trying to cut out all soda and juice and junk food. Trying to make my own treats at home

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting nkak2005:

Thanks.

Ok so for working out, if i get the 30 day shred and do that about 5 days a week, would that cover my cardio. Yep! The 30DS is a great beginner workout. It will also incorporate strength and flexibility! 

What can i do for strength training and flexibility. The Shred will add some, but you can also do pushups, lunges, squats, pull ups, crunches, Yoga, Pilates...

I am new to this and can't afford a gym so trying to do it all myself. Eh..you don't need the gym! You can do it all at home. You can use your kids as weights as well as your own body weight. Weights are great, but make do for now. :-) 

So if ieat that many calories, i should be able to lose. It gets confusing cause if i make a diner in not sure how many calories it has so i just try to eat the right portion of everything. If you use www.myfitnesspal.com to track your calories, you can build your own recipes in there. It will do the calorie counting for you. Just build your recipe, how many servings it is and they do the rest. 

Also heard you shouldn't eat after certain time, is that true. Pssshhh... nah... you can eat whenever you want. There are times I eat something at 10 pm..( protein such as nuts or cheese...even PB)

Thanks for al your help.

I am so determine to do this, but i just have no idea how :(....You've got this! You have to believe in yourself and DO NOT be afraid to ask questions. This group is great for support. There is a wealth of information and knowledge in the group as well. Many ladies in the group have lost 100+ lbs on their own by eating well and exercising, some are nursing students ( Suz for instance), some are Beachbody coaches, and some are Personal Trainers...( I am studying to get my Personal Trainer Certifications currently)  

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting nkak2005:

Quoting mcginnisc:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by Claire on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Quoting nkak2005:

Thank you so much. But until i am able to get those things, the workout videos nd weights, will walking andeating right actually help me lose weight. I know the eating right part is a good thing.

In trying to cut out all soda and juice and junk food. Trying to make my own treats at home

Yes! You can walk, as well as do some squats, pushups, situps, lunges...all fo those will help you. Ditching the processed foods will get you where you want to be. You are on the right track! Keep it up! 

Claire

nkak2005
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:58 PM
Its hard cause i love bread/muffins and pasta and rice. I am trying to only eat a serving instead of two or three, but I done know if i would give any of those up.

About how much do you think i m burning on the treadmill at that speed?

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting nkak2005:

Yes! You can walk, as well as do some squats, pushups, situps, lunges...all fo those will help you. Ditching the processed foods will get you where you want to be. You are on the right track! Keep it up! 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by Claire on Jul. 19, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Quoting nkak2005:

Its hard cause i love bread/muffins and pasta and rice. I am trying to only eat a serving instead of two or three, but I done know if i would give any of those up.

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting nkak2005:

I feel your pain... I love breads, pastas and chips...chips are my downfall...I could eat nachos for every meal and be a happy girl..throw in some wine and I'm thrilled with life. LOL 

Are you walking on a 0% grade or an incline? I can calculate your estimated calorie burn and I will show you the math as well so you know how I got it. 

Claire

nkak2005
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 2:10 PM
0 incline. In taking bout 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours at about 2.7 told my highest being 3.0.

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting nkak2005:

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting nkak2005:

I feel your pain... I love breads, pastas and chips...chips are my downfall...I could eat nachos for every meal and be a happy girl..throw in some wine and I'm thrilled with life. LOL 

Are you walking on a 0% grade or an incline? I can calculate your estimated calorie burn and I will show you the math as well so you know how I got it. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)