Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Metforman Pills anyone?

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:13 AM
  • 17 Replies
Looking for any info about this med for weight loss. My Endocrinologist prescribed it today and I start tomorrow.
I have heard good and bad things...

Thanks!
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Chunkymunkey922
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:30 AM
I've known people who had horrible diarrhea because of it... guess that would make you lose weight lol
ELFs_Mommy
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:40 AM
I took it for a little while.. My dr had me start off with one pill a day for a week, then two pills a day for a week, then three pills a day to help minimize the side effects. If you stick to a fairly low carb/sugar but high protein diet, you won't have as much diareah. Also, the first few days of a new does, you'll probably want to stay close to the bathroom :/. But it will help regulate your insulin levels, which will help regulate other hormone levels and therefore help you loose weight. I managed to lose 9 lbs my first two weeks (not even on the full dose), after trying with diet and exercise alone for over a year with no results.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 19, 2013 at 6:23 AM

I've taken metformin for 12 years, 2 pills 2x daily, for diabetes.   It's not a diet pill, although it can help you lose weight if you follow a diet and exercise, if only because you've made lifestyle changes and the meds are working on your insulin resistance, and because the meds can cause gastro-intestinal distress and you don't want to eat. 

My biggest advice is to take it with a regular meal with carbs.  It's when I don't take it with at least 15g carb meals that I can end up with diarrhea, although that's very rare anymore.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 19, 2013 at 6:24 AM

I didn't lose any weight during those 12 years until I drastically changed my diet to low-carb for the past 2 years.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 19, 2013 at 6:52 AM

No idea...good luck though!

emelymac
by Emely on Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:01 AM
What are the odds! I just took my first pill about twenty minutes ago so I'm interested in hearing other people's feedback too.
BeAmour
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Metforman, I thought were for diabetes.

BeAmour
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Ok read the replies and thought about it logically.

Basically, you need to follow a diabetic diet or a low carb diet..........that is what will make u lose the weight.

jbcmom
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 3:26 PM

I have diabets too. Do you find it hard to loose weight? Are your sugar levels normal?

Quoting michiganmom116:

I didn't lose any weight during those 12 years until I drastically changed my diet to low-carb for the past 2 years.

SillyDayze
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 3:50 PM
I took it last night. My dose is 1 500mg with dinner. I felt nothing. No nausea, no stomach pains and no trots. I didn't have a late night snack, which is usually popcorn.
I woke up and had oatmeal and coffee this morning. I'm probably cursing myself by saying I was fine last night and tonight I am going to get hit by a mega shitstorm. Lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN