Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

City Wants People to Pay to Exercise in Public Parks -- Seriously?!

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:16 AM
  • 11 Replies

City Wants People to Pay to Exercise in Public Parks -- Seriously?!

by Emily Abbate

yoga in the parkWhen I go to the park and see people working out here in New York City, it makes me feel good. It makes me happy to know I live in a place where at least some of the population cares about their physical fitness. Which is why it is absolutely absurd to me that Denver is contemplating charging people to exercise in parks. Yes. As in, making them pay. As in, they're discusing whether or not workout groups, like yoga clubs, joggers, and boot camps, should have to pay extra fees to conduct classes in public parks.

I am ... dumbfounded. I get it. These "businesses" are using the park as a place to provide their services and "goods." Without a permit, they're sorta kinda "breaking the law." But GIVE ME A BREAK, DENVER. Are they really that desperate for money over there?

I just can't get over the idea that Denver is essentially contemplating whether or not they should penalize people for working out. Plain and simple: No one needs discouragement to get healthy. Instead, we should all applaud those exercising, getting out, and getting their rear into gear. At least, that's where I'm at.

Plus -- aren't there bigger issues at hand, here? What about crime over there? Or bullying? Or for Pete's sake, if the city is killing itself over money then go on and impose some sort of drive thru-tax or something. Cigarettes! Anything! Healthy people make your city a more attractive place to live. I'm sure as hell that people who are spending their time being active should be the least of your worries, Denver.

Force the workout buffs out of the park, and I'll be interested to see what happens next.

Do you think this is ridiculous?

by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LivinDeadGurl
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Yes! Why would someone want to pay to work out outside?

JanuaryBaby06
by Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 11:14 AM

im a runner and i understand and ay it. also it sounds like the fee is just for clubs... not just an idivisual. if your paying to belong i can see why the place migh want alittle of that action.

rockinmomto2
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:28 PM
2 moms liked this

I think that if a person is running a fitness business from the park, then there should be some sort of permit needed. You can't just go and sell things on a public street corner without a permit, so it's the same kind of thing. But for a jogger or someone who's working out on their own? No way. That's absolutely ridiculous.

calsmom62
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 12:52 PM
if its a class i can see their reasoning. leagues pay for ball field time but in return the town maintains it. yes sometimes kids play a pickup game there but we know thats rare nowadays. these classes are creating wear and tear regularly on the grass. that grass has to be miwed reseeded. fertilized etc. there might be four or more classes a day in one area. they are charging money. and getting a free facility rental. i think a nominal fee is not out of line
NewMamaBoo
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 12:54 PM

That's rediculous we pay taxes for this parks already. We are allowed to use them!!!

justinnaimee
by Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 1:04 PM
If you hold a wedding or birthday party at a park you typicall pay a small fee. Why should an exercise class be any different?
IfTheTiaraFits
by Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 2:52 PM
I can see both sides. I think if a business is taking up resources that prevent others from using facilities in a public area, they should have to at least get a permit. You can't even have a large picnic here without one. But if a group of friends get together to do yoga by the lake (my town is on the lake, so it's pretty common here.) I don't think it's a huge deal.
diaperstodating
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Yes

cc5112
by Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 7:27 PM

I read this article in the NYT. I do think it's ridculous. It's a public place for public use. 

emelymac
by Emely on Jul. 21, 2013 at 9:09 PM

I think if a fitness group of 10+ people is continuously using the park to hold classes then they should be paying to use the area. Especially if someone is getting paid to run the class. For example, if the picture showed in the article is happening everyday they should absolutely be paying. A small group of friends or individuals should be able to use the park for free, but when someone starts to use the park as their business location they should at least need a permit. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN