Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Does horseback riding count as exercise?

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:19 PM
  • 21 Replies

Tomorrow I am going to meet *hopefully* the newest member of this family. A beautiful 16h, 1200 lb Saddlebred mare. She is gorgeous colored and seems to suit my needs. 

I used to ride when I was younger, I always ate like crap and never gained a lb. But I am pretty sure it was because of the riding and all the barn work I did. So does it count as exercise or no?

by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:22 PM

LOL  If you ride my horse it sure does!  Even my DD's horse makes me work harder than him just to get him down the road.

When you ride, you're exercising core, thigh, and calf muscles (and that's just pleasure/trail riding), not to mention all the work that goes in to taking care of a horse:  mucking out stall/barn, carrying water, grooming, arguing over "are you gonna hold that foot up so I can clean it?", tossing hay bales, etc. 

rockinmomto2
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I think it depends on the type of riding. If you're just sitting on the horse letting the horse amble around or something similar, you're not moving your body. So no, that's not exercise. Barn work would absolutly count as exercise, but unless you're galloping the horse and on your feet, there's not much of a workout going on.

Mrs.Torres2566
by Amanda on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I just checked it on MFP and just riding at a walk for an hour burns 300 calories, a mix between a walk and a trot burns 580, and a straight for 1 hour is over 800. So, I am going to go, yes it's an exercise. 

Quoting rockinmomto2:

I think it depends on the type of riding. If you're just sitting on the horse letting the horse amble around or something similar, you're not moving your body. So no, that's not exercise. Barn work would absolutly count as exercise, but unless you're galloping the horse and on your feet, there's not much of a workout going on.

Mrs.Torres2566
by Amanda on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Yep, MFP counts it as cardio, so I am super stoked. I can't wait to meet her. Riding is my passion, so I LOVE the idea of enjoying my exercise.

Quoting michiganmom116:

LOL  If you ride my horse it sure does!  Even my DD's horse makes me work harder than him just to get him down the road.

When you ride, you're exercising core, thigh, and calf muscles (and that's just pleasure/trail riding), not to mention all the work that goes in to taking care of a horse:  mucking out stall/barn, carrying water, grooming, arguing over "are you gonna hold that foot up so I can clean it?", tossing hay bales, etc. 

rockinmomto2
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Maybe I'm a bit dense, but I don't see how that's possible if the horse is the one moving your body. :-\ And I did my own fair share of horseback riding growing up.

Quoting Mrs.Torres2566:

I just checked it on MFP and just riding at a walk for an hour burns 300 calories, a mix between a walk and a trot burns 580, and a straight for 1 hour is over 800. So, I am going to go, yes it's an exercise. 

Quoting rockinmomto2:

Mrs.Torres2566
by Amanda on Jul. 19, 2013 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, count in gripping with your thighs, posting (it's a GREAT ab workout) and staying centered/keeping balanced all burn calories.

Quoting rockinmomto2:

Maybe I'm a bit dense, but I don't see how that's possible if the horse is the one moving your body. :-\ And I did my own fair share of horseback riding growing up.

Quoting Mrs.Torres2566:

Quoting rockinmomto2:

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 19, 2013 at 2:39 PM

If you're just sitting there, sure it's not exercising.  However, proper riders are also (maybe unconsciously) moving their body to match the horse's rhythm, using their legs as more than just appendages, gripping a horse's barrel with their thighs, and using muscles all over their  bodies to coordinate aids with balance with control.

Hippotherapy is a popular form of occupational or physical therapy because it does work muscles that are required for balance, leg muscles for strength, etc.  I know that my muscles hurt like hell if I'm not conditioned and then go for a ride.

Quoting rockinmomto2:

Quoting Mrs.Torres2566:

Quoting rockinmomto2:

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 2:49 PM

I think you could count riding as a work out of sorts-for sure, but not really as cardio, but more of a toning type of thing

as for cleaning stalls  - THAT would be a work out ;)

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 19, 2013 at 3:27 PM

LOL  Check these out:

Mrs.Torres2566
by Amanda on Jul. 19, 2013 at 3:49 PM

These are awesome. I used to barrell race when I lived in IL. But now I am on the East coast and want to try my hand at dressage, and maybe low level jumping. But I have to drop a few lbs first.

Quoting michiganmom116:

LOL  Check these out:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)