Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

5 Workout Moves to Strengthen Your Core

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:59 AM
  • 4 Replies
2 moms liked this

5 Workout Moves to Strengthen Your Core

by Casey Rackham

core workoutWhen I work out, I do everything else but ab exercises. Why? Because it burns. But let's be real: if you really want those toned abs, you have to focus on your core. No pain, no gain, right?

The upside is that most of these exercises just involve your body, so there's no need to go to the gym! (And we all know that half the battle is actually getting yourself to the gym.)

These 5 core workout moves are easy enough to do while you're waiting for dinner to cook, watching your favorite show, or avoiding your ever-growing to-do list.

To watch how it's done, check out this core strengthening exercise video.

Do you have any other simple core workouts that you like to do?

Move 1: Knee-Fold Tuck

Start by squeezing a playground ball between your knees. Engage your core muscles as you lower your back to the ground. Then lift your legs toward your chest while keeping your knees bent. Keep your core engaged as you return to starting position.

Move 2: Climbing Rope

Start with your back flat against the mat or floor. Press the small of your back into the floor to keep your core engaged as you "climb a rope" by reaching upwards with your arms. Do 20 reaches on each side.

If you need more of a challenge, lift your torso up a little higher while you reach.

Move 3: Side Balance Crunch

Starting with your hands and knees on the ground, bring your right elbow and right knee together. Always make sure to engage your core.

Repeat 10 times and then switch sides.

Move 4: Circle Plank

Begin in plank position with your hips parallel to the floor. Pull your knee in, and circle clockwise 5 times. Circle 5 more times counterclockwise, then switch legs.

Move 5: Oblique Reach

With your right leg extended, roll your back to the floor. Extend right arm and place left hand under neck. Using your core, lift chest towards the right side.

Complete 5 reps and switch sides.

by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
APSedi
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Don't forget Hula Hooping! It's great for your core, and fun!

1sexymother
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Thanks for the tips. The climbing rope one works really well adn you can feel the pain after if your doing in the right way

MomofHDFandNWF
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Thank you so much!  I have got to do something to strengthen my core -- my SI joint is aching on a regular basis now and I need to strengthen the muscles around it to help "fix" that. 

Is there any way to easily print out these exercises with out the full article so I can stick them on the wall next to the Arm/Abs/Squats Challenege "posters" I have made?

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Great exercises!  When I get the okay from the doctor I'm going to try these.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN