Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Gaining weight after gastric by pass

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 9:26 AM
  • 10 Replies
Good morning everyone. I'm Barb. I had gastric by pass in 2004. I lost 150 pounds. I've gained 25 pounds of that back. I weighed 184 last month, but was going about losing the wrong way. I was taking in 500 to 800 calories a day. I became very weak, now I'm staying at my current weight. I weigh 172, and 5 ft 2. I would like to loose 35 pounds. I know at the age of 66 everything has slowed down. It's not how much I eat, but what I eat. Any suggestions? Have a blessed day.
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 9:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chickensmommy
by Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 9:29 AM
Do you exercise? That really helps!
randomosityblog
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 9:30 AM

What about exercise?

momma0909
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 1:53 PM
I can walk a short distance with a walker at this time. I was in an accident a little while back. At one time I was walking 5 miles a day.
wahmx3
by Shelley on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:27 AM

I don't know much about gastric bypass but you need to eat way more than 800 calories a day....your body needs the fuel just to live. it does get harder as you age but not impossible. Lose the processed/boxed/fast food....make your own meals from scratch choosing more fruits and veggies....I add veggies to just about every meal and then add more to my plate than the rest of my family (although they could do healthy eating more often too). Watch what you drink....water and more water is better! Sounds like exercise is an issue for you, is it just your legs? Could you do more arm exercises and working with low weights and more reps? 

momma0909
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:22 AM
I really appreciate your reply. I don't eat very much meat , I eat things I shouldn't eat. I like my vegetables and fruits, I usually just don't take time with the vegetables. I really need to start eating more of them. I drink water, but some days I only drink about 16¬ 24 ounces. Thats total fluids. Sometimes I drink a cup of, coffee with creamer or a glass of tea. As for exercising, I do the workouts the PT gave me, it's only to streghten my upper body, esp. arms, neck and shoulders. I had to do sleep in a recliner the first 5 months after the accident. I'm getting there, but slowly. My legs are getting a little more strength in them, have a long way to go with my upper body. I will try, no I will start drinking more w, ,ater, eating more veritable. I walk to the mailbox. My yard is one acre. I'll try walking around it. It has a steep slope, do that will help. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks and have a bless day, Barb.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:33 PM

From what I understand about gastric bypass, you have to eat tiny meals several times a day.  Do you have a nutritionist that could help you set up an eating plan?  How about using the same plan you got after surgery?

Your muscles need to rebuild, and to do that you'll need good protein sources.  What little meat you do eat should be quality meat, and you should try to supplement that with things like eggs or Greek yogurt or cheese.  Many of those things are higher in calories, so the rest of the foods you need to eat should be lower cal, like veggies.  How about making homemade meat & veggie soups or loaded veggie stews?  They'll keep for several days in the refrigerator, so making one batch should last a few days.  You can also enjoy things like cheese & veggie sticks rolled up in romaine lettuce leaves as one of your small meals.

My grandmother broke her leg and was unable to walk for several weeks.  Her legs became weak, so she did legs lifts while sitting in her chair or while lying in bed to help rebuild her leg strength without actually having to walk.  Bicycling leg exercises while lying down is another one she did.  Even though the docs told her she'd never walk without a walker again, she did.

You can do this!

wahmx3
by Shelley on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:03 PM

I was going to say the same thing about protein....doesn't always have to be meat but greek yogurt, dairy and eggs will also help. You need to focus on building your muscles, it will help with your energy and strength, along with weight loss...all good goals to focus on.

Quoting michiganmom116:

From what I understand about gastric bypass, you have to eat tiny meals several times a day.  Do you have a nutritionist that could help you set up an eating plan?  How about using the same plan you got after surgery?

Your muscles need to rebuild, and to do that you'll need good protein sources.  What little meat you do eat should be quality meat, and you should try to supplement that with things like eggs or Greek yogurt or cheese.  Many of those things are higher in calories, so the rest of the foods you need to eat should be lower cal, like veggies.  How about making homemade meat & veggie soups or loaded veggie stews?  They'll keep for several days in the refrigerator, so making one batch should last a few days.  You can also enjoy things like cheese & veggie sticks rolled up in romaine lettuce leaves as one of your small meals.

My grandmother broke her leg and was unable to walk for several weeks.  Her legs became weak, so she did legs lifts while sitting in her chair or while lying in bed to help rebuild her leg strength without actually having to walk.  Bicycling leg exercises while lying down is another one she did.  Even though the docs told her she'd never walk without a walker again, she did.

You can do this!

momma0909
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:01 AM
I bought yogurt and fat free cheese this week. I don't care for eggs very much, but I'm trying to eat more of them. My doctor told me I needed between 60 & 80 grams of protein a day. I recently had to have an iron transfusion, so I know I need to eat more protein. I don't tolerate cooked greens very well, even though before my gastric bypas I could east them with no problem. Now I so start vomiting when I eat them. I eat salad greens.
I have started this week walking a little more. With my upper body being still very weak, I'm slowly working on it. I still don't have enough strength to open a jar, but it's going to get better. I have bands to stretch trying to strengthen my arms ands putty to squeeze for my hands.I appreciate all the encouragement. I will loose this extra weight. Thanks everyone.

melner18
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 8:23 AM
Do you have a Curves Fitness Center near you? It might be a low-impact workout that you could do or at least work up to? Good luck!
N_maricle
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Clean eating, minimize animal products, as much fresh, raw food as possible! Good luck:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN