Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

The paleo diet?

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:30 AM
  • 74 Replies
Has anyone ever tried this?? What are your thoughts on it?
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:34 AM

IMO there's nothing wrong with it.  I've been following the guidelines for over 2 years and haven't felt this good in 20 years.  I don't find it restrictive, which is probably the biggest argument I've heard against it.  It's nutrient dense, based on whole foods, and sure makes meals a lot simpler. 

hoping413
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:36 AM
I'm worried about cravings and such. It's cutting out a lot of things that we eat on a refusal basis. Was that hard for you?
ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:36 AM

And my skin has never been clearer in my life. There are a lot of side benefits. 

Quoting michiganmom116:

IMO there's nothing wrong with it.  I've been following the guidelines for over 2 years and haven't felt this good in 20 years.  I don't find it restrictive, which is probably the biggest argument I've heard against it.  It's nutrient dense, based on whole foods, and sure makes meals a lot simpler. 

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:37 AM
2 moms liked this

You DO have to watch portion sizes, the same as with any diet with which you want to lose weight.  It's not an all-meat diet...quite the contrary -- the diet includes PLENTY of veggies at every meal along with moderate portions of meat.

It is NOT meant to be temporary.  This is a lifestyle change.  If you want it solely for losing weight you'll find it hard....if you want to lose weight and get healthy then it's great!

hoping413
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:37 AM
I've been doing a little research on it and I've read great things I just want to know first hand from people who are doing it.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

And my skin has never been clearer in my life. There are a lot of side benefits. 

Quoting michiganmom116:

hoping413
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:38 AM
That's my goal. I want to lose weight get healthy and stay that way.

Quoting michiganmom116:

You DO have to watch portion sizes, the same as with any diet with which you want to lose weight.  It's not an all-meat diet...quite the contrary -- the diet includes PLENTY of veggies at every meal along with moderate portions of meat.

It is NOT meant to be temporary.  This is a lifestyle change.  If you want it solely for losing weight you'll find it hard....if you want to lose weight and get healthy then it's great!

randomosityblog
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I don't think it's good for long-term, and I think it's silly to copy a caveman diet when they died at such a young age. 

However, I'm a vegetarian and the paleo diet is meat meat meat.. so that might be why I think that way. ;)

hoping413
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Actually from what I've read it's not. It's only small potions of meat. I thought the same thing until I really looked into it. Handful sized potions of meat and that's it. Mostly veggies with small amounts of fruits.

Quoting randomosityblog:

I don't think it's good for long-term, and I think it's silly to copy a caveman diet when they died at such a young age. 

However, I'm a vegetarian and the paleo diet is meat meat meat.. so that might be why I think that way. ;)

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this

It's not meat, meat, meat. It's more similar to a clean or raw diet than it is to phase 1 Atkins. It's about eating what is in season and available in your area. It's based on the premise of hunting and foraging.  Fruits, nuts, veggies are all encouraged. 

Quoting randomosityblog:

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Quoting hoping413:

I'm worried about cravings and such. It's cutting out a lot of things that we eat on a refusal basis. Was that hard for you?

Sure there are cravings.  Wheat (found in many processed foods) has been proven to have an addictive opiate effect on our brain, same with sugar.  Cut those out and you'll go through withdrawal.  It's not too bad, though, and there are substitutes to get you through the transition period.  Use honey instead of sugar.  Use coconut flour (healthier than whole wheat) for making baked goods (you'll have to find recipes geared toward coconut flour.)  Instead of pasta, make noodles by spiral cutting/peeling veggies or shredding cabbage.  I use cauliflower in place of macaroni.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)