Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health
Has anyone ever tried this?? What are your thoughts on it?
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Replies (11-20):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:46 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting randomosityblog:

I don't think it's good for long-term, and I think it's silly to copy a caveman diet when they died at such a young age. 

However, I'm a vegetarian and the paleo diet is meat meat meat.. so that might be why I think that way. ;)

common misconception

"Paleo" is the name.  The diet is based on independent unbiased scientific research that proves what is healthiest for our bodies at cell level, and it just happens to be similar to early hunter-gatherer diets. 

Besides, remains of cavemen didn't show signs of diabetes or cancer or MS, some of the most common metabolic disorders today.  "Death at a young age" is based on averages, which include high infant mortality rates.  Evidence shows that if a child made it to adulthood, they had a much higher chance of survival unless injured or killed in fighting, infection set in to a wound, or they happened to die from exposure. 

hoping413
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Thanks a great idea. Now to get DH to think it is lol

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting hoping413:

I'm worried about cravings and such. It's cutting out a lot of things that we eat on a refusal basis. Was that hard for you?

Sure there are cravings.  Wheat (found in many processed foods) has been proven to have an addictive opiate effect on our brain, same with sugar.  Cut those out and you'll go through withdrawal.  It's not too bad, though, and there are substitutes to get you through the transition period.  Use honey instead of sugar.  Use coconut flour (healthier than whole wheat) for making baked goods (you'll have to find recipes geared toward coconut flour.)  Instead of pasta, make noodles by spiral cutting/peeling veggies or shredding cabbage.  I use cauliflower in place of macaroni.

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:48 AM
2 moms liked this

I made pizza last night and used shredded cauliflower mixed with one egg and parmesan cheese pressed into a pan as my crust and it was absolutely perfect and delicious. 

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting hoping413:

I'm worried about cravings and such. It's cutting out a lot of things that we eat on a refusal basis. Was that hard for you?

Sure there are cravings.  Wheat (found in many processed foods) has been proven to have an addictive opiate effect on our brain, same with sugar.  Cut those out and you'll go through withdrawal.  It's not too bad, though, and there are substitutes to get you through the transition period.  Use honey instead of sugar.  Use coconut flour (healthier than whole wheat) for making baked goods (you'll have to find recipes geared toward coconut flour.)  Instead of pasta, make noodles by spiral cutting/peeling veggies or shredding cabbage.  I use cauliflower in place of macaroni.

hoping413
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:50 AM
That actually sounds good.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

I made pizza last night and used shredded cauliflower mixed with one egg and parmesan cheese pressed into a pan as my crust and it was absolutely perfect and delicious. 

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting hoping413:

muzzyh
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 12:10 PM
I know two women who both started it to help curb the effects of MS. Both of them say its changed their lives.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 23, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Quoting muzzyh:

I know two women who both started it to help curb the effects of MS. Both of them say its changed their lives.

That's a common result for MS patients that go on this diet.

I've also read accounts of Alzheimers and dementia patients that recover after going on the diet.  There are a host of other ailments that disappear, too!

susieQ680
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 12:33 PM

never herd of it hears a bump for ya

randomosityblog
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting randomosityblog:

I don't think it's good for long-term, and I think it's silly to copy a caveman diet when they died at such a young age. 

However, I'm a vegetarian and the paleo diet is meat meat meat.. so that might be why I think that way. ;)

common misconception

"Paleo" is the name.  The diet is based on independent unbiased scientific research that proves what is healthiest for our bodies at cell level, and it just happens to be similar to early hunter-gatherer diets. 

Besides, remains of cavemen didn't show signs of diabetes or cancer or MS, some of the most common metabolic disorders today.  "Death at a young age" is based on averages, which include high infant mortality rates.  Evidence shows that if a child made it to adulthood, they had a much higher chance of survival unless injured or killed in fighting, infection set in to a wound, or they happened to die from exposure. 

Every "paleo" page I follow is all about bacon.

That doesn't seem healthy to me. JMO of course, anyone that is interested can go for it. I prefer to be a vegetarian, no biggie. :)

randomosityblog
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:37 PM

I looked into it quite extensively when my SO said she wanted to try it. Every book, every article, every page, focuses WAY too much on meat for my liking. If you wanna do it, go for it. :D I just wouldn't.

Quoting hoping413:

Actually from what I've read it's not. It's only small potions of meat. I thought the same thing until I really looked into it. Handful sized potions of meat and that's it. Mostly veggies with small amounts of fruits.

Quoting randomosityblog:

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree, a lot of them focus on bacon or sweets, I think to make the diet so appealing....both items should in truth be limited because they AREN'T that healthy to have them all the time.  Irritates the heck out of me because people get the wrong idea.  I'd recommend following true paleo/primal pages like Robb Wolf, Balanced Bites, PaleoPot, Mark's Daily Apple, or Primal North.

Quoting randomosityblog:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting randomosityblog:

common misconception

Every "paleo" page I follow is all about bacon.

That doesn't seem healthy to me. JMO of course, anyone that is interested can go for it. I prefer to be a vegetarian, no biggie. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN