Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health
Has anyone ever tried this?? What are your thoughts on it?
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Replies (31-40):
roxysmommy
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who follows a paleo diet that is beyond irritated with all these paleo bloggers that post sweets all day and make all these cookbooks loaded with desserts! It goes against the whole basis of what a paleo lifestyle is about!

Quoting michiganmom116:

I agree, a lot of them focus on bacon or sweets, I think to make the diet so appealing....both items should in truth be limited because they AREN'T that healthy to have them all the time.  Irritates the heck out of me because people get the wrong idea.  I'd recommend following true paleo/primal pages like Robb Wolf, Balanced Bites, PaleoPot, Mark's Daily Apple, or Primal North.

Quoting randomosityblog:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting randomosityblog:

I don't think it's good for long-term, and I think it's silly to copy a caveman diet when they died at such a young age. 

However, I'm a vegetarian and the paleo diet is meat meat meat.. so that might be why I think that way. ;)

common misconception

"Paleo" is the name.  The diet is based on independent unbiased scientific research that proves what is healthiest for our bodies at cell level, and it just happens to be similar to early hunter-gatherer diets. 

Besides, remains of cavemen didn't show signs of diabetes or cancer or MS, some of the most common metabolic disorders today.  "Death at a young age" is based on averages, which include high infant mortality rates.  Evidence shows that if a child made it to adulthood, they had a much higher chance of survival unless injured or killed in fighting, infection set in to a wound, or they happened to die from exposure. 

Every "paleo" page I follow is all about bacon.

That doesn't seem healthy to me. JMO of course, anyone that is interested can go for it. I prefer to be a vegetarian, no biggie. :)

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Exactly!  Meals don't NEED bacon or desserts to be tasty.  Meals don't need to be exotic productions, either.  Simple salads, steamed veggies with a squeeze of lemon or pat of butter, meats cooked with spices & herbs...and maybe fresh fruit for a sweet treat.  

Quoting roxysmommy:

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who follows a paleo diet that is beyond irritated with all these paleo bloggers that post sweets all day and make all these cookbooks loaded with desserts! It goes against the whole basis of what a paleo lifestyle is about!

Quoting michiganmom116:

I agree, a lot of them focus on bacon or sweets, I think to make the diet so appealing....both items should in truth be limited because they AREN'T that healthy to have them all the time.  Irritates the heck out of me because people get the wrong idea.  I'd recommend following true paleo/primal pages like Robb Wolf, Balanced Bites, PaleoPot, Mark's Daily Apple, or Primal North.

Quoting randomosityblog:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting randomosityblog:

I don't think it's good for long-term, and I think it's silly to copy a caveman diet when they died at such a young age. 

However, I'm a vegetarian and the paleo diet is meat meat meat.. so that might be why I think that way. ;)

common misconception

"Paleo" is the name.  The diet is based on independent unbiased scientific research that proves what is healthiest for our bodies at cell level, and it just happens to be similar to early hunter-gatherer diets. 

Besides, remains of cavemen didn't show signs of diabetes or cancer or MS, some of the most common metabolic disorders today.  "Death at a young age" is based on averages, which include high infant mortality rates.  Evidence shows that if a child made it to adulthood, they had a much higher chance of survival unless injured or killed in fighting, infection set in to a wound, or they happened to die from exposure. 

Every "paleo" page I follow is all about bacon.

That doesn't seem healthy to me. JMO of course, anyone that is interested can go for it. I prefer to be a vegetarian, no biggie. :)

hoping413
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:39 PM
You guys have given me some great info. What are your favorite recipes??
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Quoting hoping413:

You guys have given me some great info. What are your favorite recipes??

Paleo Garden Burgers

These are DELICIOUS!

• 1 lb. ground beef
  • 1/2 c. yellow summer squash, finely chopped
  • 1/2 c. zucchini, finely chopped
  • 1/3 c. fresh broccoli, finely chopped
  • 1/4 c. red onion, finely chopped
  • 1/4 c. packed spinach leaves, finely chopped
  • 1/4 c. finely chopped or grated carrots
  • 6 basil leaves, finely chopped (or 1 tsp. dry basil)
  • 2 Tbsp. parsley, finely chopped
  • 1/2 tsp. sea salt (or regular salt)
  • 1/8 to 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
  • 1 - 2 Tbsp. coconut oil

Heat oil in pan over medium heat.

Add onion, cook for 2 minutes.

Add broccoli, cook for 2 minutes.

Add carrot, cook for 2 minutes.

Add summer squash and zucchini, cook for 2 minutes. 

Add spinach, cook for 1 minutes.

Remove pan from stove, allow veggie mixture to cool slightly.

In large bowl combine ground beef, veggies, herbs, and spices.  Mix well

Grill or fry for about 5 minutes per side.

from www.paleomagonline.com

Fluffy Coconut Flour Pancakes

• 4 eggs, room temperature
  • 1 c. milk (raw cow's or coconut)
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 Tbsp. honey
  • 1/2 c. coconut flour
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. sea salt (optional)

Preheat griddle greased with coconut oil or butter over medium-low heat.  In a small bowl bet eggs until frothy, about 2 minutes.  Mix in milk, vanilla, and honey.   Add coconut flour, baking soda, and salt and whisk together. 

Ladle 1/4 c. of batter onto hot griddle.  Cook for a few minutes on each side until the tops dry out slightly and the bottoms start to brown.  Flip and cook an additional 1 to 3 minutes.

Serve hot with butter, nut butter, honey, maple syrup, or fruit.

Makes 8 to 10 pancakes.

Baked Tuna Steaks with Chimichurri Marinade

• 1 c. packed flat leaf parsley, or 1/3 c. dried parsley flakes
  • 3 - 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • Juice of 2 lemons (about 1/2 c.)
  • 1/2 c. olive oil (NOT sure why olive oil was in a Paleo recipe, but I do think it added to the flavor)
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. ground black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp. ground red pepper
  • Tuna steaks (we had 4 and had plenty of marinade)

Rinse the parsley and remove leaves from stems. 

In a food processor, blend parsley, olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic.  Pour into a small mixing bowl and add salt and peppers.  Mix well.  Refrigerate for 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 350°.  Rinse tuna steaks and place in glass baking dish.  Pour marinade over tuna steaks.  Bake for 25 - 30 minutes (it doesn't turn out dry.)

from www.primal-palate.com

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Sweet Potato and Spinach Hash with Eggs

• 1 c. onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 lb. bacon, diced
  • 4 c. diced sweet potatoes, uncooked
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 1/2 to 1 tsp. chili powder
  • 10 oz. chopped fresh or frozen (thawed) spinach
  • 4 large eggs

Cook bacon with onions and garlic until bacon is cooked but not crispy.  Add sweet potatoes and seasonings.  Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until potatoes are just tender.  Add spinach and cook until just wilted.  Place hash in a baking dish and make 4 wells with a wooden spoon.  Break an egg into each well.  Sprinkle eggs with salt and pepper.

Bake at 350° until eggs are cooked to desired level.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Beef & Mango Salad

Posted By Kristin Jekielek On March 31, 2011 @ 3:41 pm In All Recipes,Beef

Cooking Time: 10

Serves: 1

Ingredients and Cooking Steps

• 4oz beef (ingredients are for 1)
  • 1/2 mango
  • Handful cashews
  • Handful thawed frozen broccoli florets
  • Pinch diced red onion
  • Splash balsamic
  • Splash olive oil
  • Salt & pepper
  • Touch of honey, diced mint and mustard to get extra fancy

- Set a fry pan to med-high heat and cook beef 2-3 min both sides (this is also a great way to use leftover meat)
- Remove and cut into bite-sized pieces
- Put in a small mixing bowl
- Add broccoli
- Add cashews
- Dice onion and add
- Add all other ingredients
- Mix well and serve

Article printed from Fast Paleo: http://fastpaleo.com

URL to article: http://fastpaleo.com/beef-mango-salad/

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Paleo Crepes (from www.westsoundcrossfit.com)

5 eggs

1/2 c. almond flour

2 tsp. honey

1/2 tsp. vanilla

pinch of salt

1 tsp. olive oil to grease the skillet

Beat eggs in medium sized bowl.  Add almond flour, honey, vanilla, and salt and beat to form a thin batter.  Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat (8 inch pan is best size.)  Once it's hot, scoop 1/4 c. of the batter into the pan.  Swirl around immediately so the batter coats the bottom of the pan.  Once the top is mostly set, about 1 to 2 minutes, but still wet, carefully flip the crepe.  Cook the other side for about 15 seconds.

I fill mine with cream cheese and top with a lemon or berry sauce.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Yeah....this is one of those sweet treats that I have every now and then...

Chunky Monkey Muffins

• 2 ripe bananas, mashed
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 c. coconut oil or butter, melted
  • 1/2 c. nut butter ( almond, even sunflower butter)
  • 1/4 c. honey
  • 1/2 c. coconut flour
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 c. chopped pecans or walnuts
  • 1/2 c. chocolate chunks or chips or mini chips

Preheat oven to 325°.  Combine 1st 5 ingredients in a large bowl and blend until smooth.  Add coconut flour, cinnamon and salt and mix until everything is well incorporated.  Stir in nuts and chocolate with a spoon (batter will be thick.)  Spoon batter into 12 paper lined muffin cups.  You can fill them pretty full since they won't rise much.  Bake for 22 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

michiganmom116

it can be eaten as is or over salad greens.

Spanish Chicken

• 1 1/2 to 2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 2 tsp. paprika
  • 1 tsp. dry minced garlic
  • 1 tsp. thyme
  • 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 large green or red bell pepper, cut into strips
  • 1 large onion, cut into 1/2 inch thick wedges
  • 15 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes

Cut chicken into 6 to 8 pieces or into 1/4 inch thick strips.  Mix paprika, dry minced garlic, thyme, and black pepper, and stir about 1/3 of the mixture into the chicken.
Heat olive oil in a skillet.  Add seasoned chicken and brown.  Add pepper strips and onion wedges and cover; cook until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.   Add tomatoes and as much of the red pepper flakes as desired.  Stir until heated through and serve.

michiganmom116

I used ham when making this:

Spinach & Mushroom Frittata

Posted By Mrs.Edge On September 1, 2011 @ 12:29 pm In All Recipes,Eggs

Cooking Time: 15 minutes

Serves: 4

Ingredients and Cooking Steps

• 10 eggs
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 4 tbsp full fat coconut milk
  • 1 cp mushrooms, diced
  • 1 cup of meat of your choice
  • 1/4 cp chopped tomatoes
  • salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, dried parsley

The great thing about this recipe is it doesn’t have to be exact. You can add a couple more eggs, or cut back a few to add more veggies or meat. Almost any veggies or meat will do but I LOVE this particular combination. A frittata is the perfect dish to make with leftovers too! Just skip the sauteing of veggies.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Cook spinach in 1/4 cp water in covered pot for 2 minutes, just until wilted, drain & set aside.

In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs & coconut milk. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, crushed red pepper & parsley & give a final whisk.

Saute onions & mushrooms in the olive oil & coconut oil over medium heat in an oven proof skillet for 3 minutes. Add garlic & tomatoes & continue to cook for 1-2 more minutes, until onions are translucent. Add cooked spinach to the mix and lightly salt & pepper the mixture.

Add chopped meat of your choice (I used a leftover angus burger but ham, bacon, turkey, pork – anything would be delicious!) About 1 cup is a good amount to use. Mix thoroughly.

Spread mixture even into bottom of skillet. Pour egg mixture over spinach mixture. Use spatula to lift up spinach mixture along sides of pan to let the egg mixture flow underneath.

Cook mixture on stove top on medium heat until about half set, put the skillet in the preheated oven and cook for 13-15 minutes or until puffy & golden.

Finish by placing frittata under the broiler for up to a minute to get a deeper brown color & a bit of crispiness. Be very careful handling the skillet! It’s extremely hot once placed in the oven. Allow to cool before slicing. Makes 4-6 servings.

Article printed from Fast Paleo: http://fastpaleo.com

URL to article: http://fastpaleo.com/spinach-mushroom-frittata/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)