Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

medicine

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:02 AM
  • 3 Replies

i have to take 2 meds for heart failure and each of them causes weight gain.  i eat only 1500 calories a day, but still can't lose any weight.  i hate those miserable pills.  i might just wean myself off them and hope for the best.  what would you ladies do?

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
HappyGirl77
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:06 AM

I would talk it over with my dr.  Taking heart meds is nothing to mess with.  And I would defintely recommend dr. supervised weight control so that you don't hurt yourself.  good luck!

wahmx3
by Shelley on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:02 PM

I am fairly certain you aren't serious about weaning yourself off....please talk to your doc as soon as possible and address your concerns with him....maybe he can change your meds, give you something else for the side effects and/or send you to a nutritionist/dietican. Depending on how much weight you have to lose, your age, height and cuurent weight....1500 calories might not be enough, could be a reason why you aren't losing weight.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I take meds for diabetes.  As much as I hate them and the thought of putting chemicals in my body, I will not drop them until my blood sugars are normal all the time --which may never happen.  There are certain meds that are vital to a great, functioning life and I would consider heart meds to be in that classification, just as my insulin and metformin are. 

Find your BMR (there are ladies in the group that can help with that).  You may be eating too many calories or not enough. 

Are you drinking at least 1/2 your weight in oz. of water?

What kind of calories are you eating?  Are you filling up on nutrition-loaded salads/veggies/etc. or cheap fillers like bread and pasta?  Take a close look at what you are eating.  I do not believe that all calories are the same and the macro- and micronutrients are what tell our bodies to do with the food we eat.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN