• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you pay attention to BMI calculators,?

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:41 AM
  • 3 Replies

And if so... Which do you use? One of the biggest reasons I'm trying to lose weight is for my health. Most BMI calculators say that I should be 149 or under for my height (5 '5) and this morning I was 150.0 Gahh! So close! Anyway, I'm worried about the accuracy of these calculators. I'd hate to be so excited about being in the healthy weight range if it's not actually true.
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
mcginnisc
by Claire on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:34 AM

BMI calculators are not accurate- they do not include bone density, or lean muscle mass in the calculations as it is determined soley by height and weight. There are much more accurate ways to determine health than BMI such as skinfold tests, and bioelectrical impedance.

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

youllneverknow
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:39 AM
I use them to figure out my goal weight...but with that said.it's not a for sure thing.my goal is 145 with a bmi of 20.5.. but If I'm over my goal weight but reach my goal body or size I'll start maintaining
kbishop8688
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:48 AM

I don't look at the BMI, and I don't suggest most people do.  The BMI calculator, no matter which kind you do, neglect to take muscle mass into consideration.  A perfectly healthy man could have a BMI of 50, and according to that calculator he needs to lose weight.  But, if only 20 pounds of that is fat and the rest is water, bone and muscle, he's a perfectly healthy person that doesn't need to lose anything. 

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it too much.  If you're worried about your health, or weight level, worry about it because it's something YOU feel needs to be fixed, not because of the BMI calculator.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)