Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you get the kids to eat veggies?

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:30 PM
  • 11 Replies

I am having problems getting my kids to eat most veggies. I do not make separate meals for them either but they have always been this way. They are still young and I am trying to enforce good eating habits.

Recently a friend of mine said that she purees veggies and cooks them into the food. 

Has anyone done this and been successful? If not, how do you get your kids to get their veggies? 

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
randomosityblog
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Mine don't get a choice.

LalasMommy1125
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:24 PM

I do "hide" veggies sometimes. Like I put zucchini in whole wheat chocolate chip muffins. But I also don't give my daughter a choice. She has fruits or veggies at each meal and she just has to eat  them....I did not eat veggies as a kid and now I have to force myself so I'm hoping to create a healthy habit in my daughter.

melaniecerise
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:21 PM

when my kids were younger like 2 or 3, we pureed the veggies in the food. They are now 5 and 6 and they have to at least try the veggies. There is no choice. 

kbishop8688
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:44 PM

My daughter has always loved her fruits and vegetables.. That's not saying she'll always eat them, but she still likes them.  I know one thing I did from the very start was have them on her plate almost everynight for dinner. It became more of a habit so she never had the chance to say no. It was never a real option for her.. If she's not feeling it that night, I don't give her a large serving, but she does need to finish it that night.  Sometimes she will give us a huge problem about it so she's excused from the table to get ready for bed.  But, before she gets down and goes there is a clear understanding that is what she will have for breakfast, lunch or dinner.  They can't starve themselves for ever.. Needless to say after 3 times of that she finishes her food all of the time.

Have you thought about making a pure veggie meal so they had no choice but to have something with a vegetable in it?  I love cooking things into my meal, that is a great idea in itself.  Unfortunately, when you cook things, the nutrients leave the food as they cook.  Of course, they do this while they sit on the shelf as well.  

Raw veggies.. Most kids love to dip things.. Taking raw carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, celery etc and giving them ranch dressing for a dipping sauce could at least get them eating it!

I would say with worlds like I don't like it.. You say things like, how about a no thank you bite.. If you take one bite and you don't like it that's okay. 

If you make them sandwiches, try baby spinach instead of salad. So, ham, mayo, tomato and baby spinach.

cassie1989b
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:50 PM
Try making cornbread waffles with mixed veggies in them :)
armyvet06
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 8:03 AM

i have never really had a problem with dd eating her veggies. she has almost always eaten them with no problem.

wahmx3
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I never give my kids a choice either....veggies are served and they are expected to eat them. They do have some that don't like and I won't make them eat those. I sometimes mix veggies into things to hide them a bit...cauliflower in scallop potatoes for example, cut veggies in spaghetti sauce etc. I have never pureed them but it is a great idea....esp in things they love like muffins and cookies.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:09 AM

I've never had problems with getting my kids to eat veggies.  They started out with eating veggies, they loved them as toddlers, and even now they'll raid my fridge for veggies for snacks...that's how my asparagus disappears. 

We've found plenty of ideas for veggies rather than just plain ol' cooked.  Veggie pizza is a favorite treat (baked crust, cream cheese/sour cream/ranch dressing mix, diced mix of veggies, topped with cheese, eaten as is) as are asparagus roll ups, carrots & dip, pepper strips, broccoli soup, cauliflower cheese casserole, broccoli cheese casserole, mixed veggie salad (frozen mixed veggies - thawed, mixed with Italian salad dressing), broccoli salad with fresh broccoli/raisins/nuts/cheese/dressing, and a whole lot more.

housewifehell
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:21 AM

My kids are told they have to just try it then if they dont like it they can eat other things but usually they love it.  But my favorite way to get more veggies in a meal is taking zucchini and summer squash sliced into rounds and add all the stuff I would put on pizza.  Cook it just like regular pizza and once its cooked it tastes just like normal pizza you just might have to eat it with a fork. And I have had even the most picky adults not realize it was veggie pizza. :)

jlmc
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Mine eat them but if they didnt I would ground them up and put them into meatballs or meatloaf or cook them in reynolds wrap in the over with their favorite dressing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)