• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help for a friend?

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:44 PM
  • 11 Replies

I have a friend that is inching towards her goal weight - she's lost a nice chunk of weight and is now about 160. I believe she's lost about 30-40 pounds over the last 3 months.

Yesterday, during her workouts (tracked via HRM), she burned over 2000 1200 calories. She does mostly cardio, as she doesn't have access to weights or a gym. She's working her ass off (doing like 30 miles on the bike at home, going on long(fast) walks, etc).

She ate around 1400 calories (she isn't tracking, but this is her estimate).

I told her she needs to eat more but she said she isn't hungry. Any idea on how else I can explain to her that eating only 1400 calories and burning over 1200 JUST during workouts (not counting her normal stuff) isn't a good idea? 

Or maybe I'm wrong, and that's totally fine. Either way, I'd like to help her. Suggestions?

**Edit she burned 1200 not 2000**

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Beauty91805
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:46 PM
That's not ok at all!

Show her some info on it. I'm sure you can find a lot of that online.
randomosityblog
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Quoting Beauty91805:

That's not ok at all!

I tried to explain it I'm just not good at wording. :/ There are SO many different things online. She just showed me something saying she should be eating 1200 calories a day. :(

Noni2319
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:51 PM
Try showing her the bmr calculator and the multiplier to account for how much she's working out?
Beauty91805
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:58 PM
That's the minimum to prevent you from going into starvation mode, but she's burning much more a day. Here body is not being given the energy it needs.

Quoting randomosityblog:

Quoting Beauty91805:

That's not ok at all!

I tried to explain it I'm just not good at wording. :/ There are SO many different things online. She just showed me something saying she should be eating 1200 calories a day. :(

Sweetest_Britt
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:21 PM
**ok this is about me*

I started at 199.8 and am now down to 158.2. I eat anywhere from 1300-1400 on any given day. I eat mostly lean protein and fruits and veggies.

I eat when I'm hungry, I stop when I'm full. I don't snack on empty calories. I drink 180+ of water. I don't eat junk food on a regular basis and also don't restrict myself from junk if I want it.

I burn 900-1200 calories a day doing cardio, circuit, and weight training (5lb weights, since its all I have)

Multiple sites have told me that I need to be eating 1200 calories. I'm not sure what else there is to go off there or what else to be doing.
Sweetest_Britt
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:25 PM
How do I not have the energy I need?? I am more energetic and ready to go, more than anyone else I know! I wake up at 6 am every morning and go to bed at 10 PM ish.

I don't take naps and I'm not dragging through the day.

My muscles don't feel fatigued, they don't cramp and hurt (normally. Although my calves are hurting today)! My body is using the fuel provided, more efficiently!

I don't feel I am doing anything unhealthy! And I don't even know if that's how many calories I eat. I refuse to track food/calories and only gave an estimate when asked. Could easily be more than that (or less I suppose).

Quoting Beauty91805:

That's the minimum to prevent you from going into starvation mode, but she's burning much more a day. Here body is not being given the energy it needs.

Quoting randomosityblog:

Quoting Beauty91805:

That's not ok at all!

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:47 PM
2 moms liked this

The problem with eating too few calories may not be noticeable right away.  Heck, you WILL lose weight.  However, eventually your body's metabolism slows down to make up for the fact that it's not getting enough energy from food sources.  This can cause weight loss plateau and you can just stop losing weight.  Ultimately it can cause health issues like a slower heart rate, hair loss, anemia, among other things.

Losing weight and caloric intake can be tricky because our natural tendency is to just eat less to lose the weight, however, it ends up being counter-productive because our bodies are not meant to sustain itself and high levels of physical activity with such a low calorie intake.  We NEED the food and calories for fuel for our bodies.

randomosityblog
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:56 PM

FYI I told her I was posting this.. lol

And 1200 calories before workouts, I mean IDK.. perhaps?? But I hope Claire sees this because she can help with BMR stuff. :)

Quoting Sweetest_Britt:

**ok this is about me*

I started at 199.8 and am now down to 158.2. I eat anywhere from 1300-1400 on any given day. I eat mostly lean protein and fruits and veggies.

I eat when I'm hungry, I stop when I'm full. I don't snack on empty calories. I drink 180+ of water. I don't eat junk food on a regular basis and also don't restrict myself from junk if I want it.

I burn 900-1200 calories a day doing cardio, circuit, and weight training (5lb weights, since its all I have)

Multiple sites have told me that I need to be eating 1200 calories. I'm not sure what else there is to go off there or what else to be doing.

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:00 PM
3 moms liked this

1200 is too low for most of us...especially if we work out- and it sounds like you are working out quite a bit.

I started at 239 and now I'm 175...I eat about 17-1800 cal a day average, and I'm still losing.  I do zumba 5-6 days a week- sometimes twice as well as a piyo and pilates class once a week each too.

you need to eat to fuel your body, or it will go into starvation- you may not have noticed yet, but it will come, along with the problems that go with it

Sweetest_Britt
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:14 PM

How do I find out what that is, when everything else is telling me 1200? LOL

Quoting charlotsomtimes:

1200 is too low for most of us...especially if we work out- and it sounds like you are working out quite a bit.

I started at 239 and now I'm 175...I eat about 17-1800 cal a day average, and I'm still losing.  I do zumba 5-6 days a week- sometimes twice as well as a piyo and pilates class once a week each too.

you need to eat to fuel your body, or it will go into starvation- you may not have noticed yet, but it will come, along with the problems that go with it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)