Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Are we drinking too much water?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 8:51 PM
  • 21 Replies
1 mom liked this

I follow a lot of real food bloggers, and lately I've seen a lot of posts about NOT drinking the standard 8 - 8 oz glasses of water (and definitely not half your body weight in oz).  I'm not really sure what I personally think about it, but I was curious what everyone else thinks.

Basically, their argument is that we're overhydrated and it throws off the electrolyte balance in our body and slows down our metabolism, among other things.  We should learn to trust our bodies and only drink when thirsty.  There is a list of symptoms of overhydration (not water intoxication, that's far more serious), including cold extremities, light-headedness, brain fog, low body temperature.

Here's one article about it, in case you're curious where I'm getting all of this:  8 Reasons NOT To Drink 8 Glasses of Water A Day

When I did really think about it, I realized that when I had been really pushing to drink 120 oz of water a day (half my body weight in oz), that I was constantly cold and I'd get light-headed when I stood up from my desk in the mornings at work.  I thought it was a blood pressure issue, but when I'd check it, it would be normal.  I haven't been cold or dizzy much recently, but I also have been slacking on my water as well.

Like I said, I'm not exactly sure what I personally believe.  It could have been a coincidence or related to something else that just doesn't stick out in my mind.  But I find it interesting...

by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 8:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emelymac
by Emely on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Interesting. I've personally never been able to drink half my body weight in water. It's always been way too much for me. It leaves me feeling super bloated and sometimes really sick. 

luvhubandbabys
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:58 PM
1 mom liked this
I keep water with me at all times. Sips throughout the day. I dont count so i have no clue.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:06 PM

For me personally, I stick to around 80 oz. of water a day, which is just a little more than 1/2 my weight in water oz.  I've had a kidney problem scare along with being diabetic and my goal is to drink enough water to keep my urine pale yellow/almost clear.  That's where I do best, that's where I'm not bloating and I'm feeling well.  If faced with a lot of sweating due to a hot day or with illness, I'll try to drink a little more in an effort to rehydrate or flush viruses/bacteria from my body.

If I drank only when thirsty, I'd drink maybe 2 glasses of water a day at most.  Thirst is not always an indicator of knowing when you need water.

kbishop8688
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:57 PM

WOW!! I would say DON'T drink 120 ounces of water.  That's a lot for your body in 1 day.. However, for weight loss affects (or is it effects) you're going to want to stick with 8-9 glasses.. That's an effective amount, you only really need enough to stay hydrated nicely.  Water is meant to keep the body in check with itself.. free of toxin build up, enough mucous in the body to regulare systems.. Sweat out the bad etc.  it gives your body a way to ward off infections and certain diseases. 

The reality of water is that it is there to benefit you.  If your electorlytes are off it's a matter of the foods you eat.. considering that is generally where they come from. Now, you CAN drink too much, but that is hard pressed to do if you're simply drinking when you feel the need (not thirsty, that's NOT an indicater, I've gone all day with 1 glass of water before because I had no urge).  If you want hard facts you need to visit medical sites, government sites and things like that.  Any personal trainer and nutritionist will tell you to stick to 8 glasses a day.. a personal trainer aiming for weight loss will suggest 8-10.. at least, any that i've worked with.

mhaney03
by Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:10 PM

I found when I tried to drink the "recommended" amount of water, I felt painfully hungry.  like STARVING.  Now that I just drink when I feel I should, that has gone away.

little_mama83
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:09 AM
I drink about 48-64 oz of water most days, along with anywhere from 8-24 oz of soda, milk, tea, or a combination thereof. When I was drinking soda or tea all the time I could EASILY finish off two larges from a fast food place in a day so that's about 64 oz right there. If I can drink it in soda, I can darn sure drink it in water! I think I drink less when I'm lounging around the house but I also don't measure... at work I know where I stand because I drink water by the bottle. I'm no expert but I'd say if you're drinking so much water that it's making you sick; you're drinking too much! Too much of anything is a bad thing!
TheBookSiren
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:47 AM

I am Always thirsty. I always have to be drinking something, which is why my biggest weightloss hurdle had nothing to do with eating, but drinking my calories. I have no problems drinking half my body weight in ozs in almost any liquid a day lol.

I believe we are all different and have different needs, but I also believe tried and true methods should be tried FIRST, fully, and honestly,  then tweeked if needed to fit an individuals personal needs for their body. Maybe not everyone should or can drink that much water a day, but people should probably try Healthy methods (like drinking 64+ ozs of water a day and eating clean and actually exercising, Not popular quick fix fads) that work consistantly for so many people first before deciding they're not for them. :)

Suffer The Pain Of Discipline.

Or Suffer The Pain Of Regret.

itsm3
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 6:46 AM

this can totally happen...happened to my mother and she ended up in the hospital; her electrolytes were out of whack and she went into a seizure!

i drink about (or close to) 2L of water a day but that is no where near my body weight in water.  2L is enough for me; i sip it througout the day and i never feel thirsty. 

too much of anything - even good stuff - is bad!  it all has to be in moderation.

dreama_76
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:40 AM

You are only supposed to drink 3 liters a day.  Your body is 70 percent water.  Yes, you should only drink that much and only when you are thirsty.   If you eat more vegetables and have fruits, you can get some water in your diet that way also.    You might see if it was something else or just keep a journal to see if certain foods are doing that to your body.  Too much processed foods, will hurt your body not help it.

audmom1218
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:57 AM
I drink anywhere from 3-6 of my 32oz glasses of water a day. If I drink less than that my skin feels dry, I start coughing /dry throat and feel hungry.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)