Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Advise on how to get started!

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:19 AM
  • 7 Replies

I know I need to start a weight lose program. I am currently about 50 lbs over weight. I set at a desk ALL day. I started putting on weight when I got the desk job. I've noticed that I am starting to get easily winded, I really want to get back in shape but am over welmed and don't know where to start.

H-E-L-P!

by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
HappyGirl77
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I would start with taking a break/ walk whenever you can during work hours.  Try setting your alarm on your phone to go off at every hour to remind  you to take a break and move/ stretch/ walk.

I would also start with waking up 3-4 mornings a week and getting in a workout before work to keep you motivated all day long.  

Also, try making one small change in your eating/ diet....cut out soda or add in 2 or 3 servings of fruits/ veggies a day...  Trying to change everything all at once can be overwhelming.

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:31 AM

I was like you.  I've worked behind a desk forever, but I used to commute so I walked a lot.  Then when I got a job closer to home, I drove and went from my car to my desk and that was it.  I ended up putting on weight. :(

Get up!  Don't STAY behind your desk all day.  Take short breaks to walk around or stretch.  It's not healthy to just sit behind the desk and so occasionally getting up and stretching is highly recommended.  I often get up and walk around just to stretch my legs.  I also do stretches at my desk.

One of the biggest impacts on your weight is your diet.  Make those small changes - switching sodas and high sugar drinks to water and/or even seltzer.  More fruits/veggies, cutting out processed foods, eating more cleanly.  These small changes can really add up.

Also, I know starting a fitness routine can be overwhelming so start small.  Schedule walks into your day.  A walk is a good way to unwind and de-stress from your day and something that you can look forward to.  Then build from there.

member187
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Sometimes it can be hard to start, especially going into the gym when you don't feel your best and everyone else is looking great. :( There is a great online workouts program that you can do from your house. It's amazing and you'll see results for sure if you stick to it. It is called Physique 57 and a lot of celebrities have done their workouts  too. You can find the workouts and their DVDs on their website Physique57.com.

marihla
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Everything about this is right. Your diet is the most important part. It takes a lot of clean eating to get into a groove. But once you do it for long enough you start to realize how sluggish junk food makes you feel. And walking is great for beginners! You can take an evening stroll with the kids after dinner, walk to the convenience store, etc.

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

I was like you.  I've worked behind a desk forever, but I used to commute so I walked a lot.  Then when I got a job closer to home, I drove and went from my car to my desk and that was it.  I ended up putting on weight. :(

Get up!  Don't STAY behind your desk all day.  Take short breaks to walk around or stretch.  It's not healthy to just sit behind the desk and so occasionally getting up and stretching is highly recommended.  I often get up and walk around just to stretch my legs.  I also do stretches at my desk.

One of the biggest impacts on your weight is your diet.  Make those small changes - switching sodas and high sugar drinks to water and/or even seltzer.  More fruits/veggies, cutting out processed foods, eating more cleanly.  These small changes can really add up.

Also, I know starting a fitness routine can be overwhelming so start small.  Schedule walks into your day.  A walk is a good way to unwind and de-stress from your day and something that you can look forward to.  Then build from there.

Mrs.Torres2566
by Amanda on Jul. 26, 2013 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I started by emptying my fridge and cabinets of all the junk, and buying only things I can eat for my diet plan. 
I do better when there are no temptations. Then I joined a gym. It's only been 2 weeks but 7lbs are gone and many more are ready to come off.  

ballerina18
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Everyone here has given you great advice so far. I agree that small steps will make a big difference towards a lifestyle change. The only thing I wanted to add is try to find a workout routine you enjoy. Losing weight doesn't mean you have to commit to long hours at the gym or doing a workout you hate. Try out a bunch of different things to see what you like (running, yoga, zumba, boot camps, pilates, workout dvds..ect..). If you enjoy the activity you will be more likely to keep doing it.

Good luck =)

iamcafemom83
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Start small. I would recommend changing either your eating habits or your qorkout routine first. And then combine them when you're ready.
When you change your eating habits, ditch one oe two things at a time. For instance, I started by ditching soda and then my coffee creamer. At this point, I mainly eat clean. It has taken time.
For working out, pick something you like. When you are ready for more, push it harder or try a new routine. In my case, walking became walk runs, then jogging, and now running for an hour or more.

I know for me, when I tried to lose qeight in the past, I would take it ALL on at once. This inevitability led to me failing because it became overwhelming. Don't know if you are much like me, but doing it this way jas led me to lose 40 lbs:)

Good luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN