Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

new and need help!

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:08 PM
  • 17 Replies
hello I'm new to cm for the most part and new to this group, I need help bad!

I have never been this happy and sad at once in my life, I just had my daughter a few months ago I am out of shape and overweight.

I weigh more now than I did when I had her, I use to exercise everyday before I got pregnant now I weigh almost 200 pounds and am miserable

i cannot find the motivation to do anything other than eat , crying ,take care of my baby and I know I have postpartum depression and I'm on medicine for it

I don't even know how much I should be eating, what to eat to help start jump start my weight loss , I really need help with anyone out there and help me.
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:15 PM
1 mom liked this

You're in the right place.

The good thing is that you recognize all these things and KNOW that you need to do something and WANT to do something - that in and of itself is an accomplishment.

PPD can be really hard, so I'm glad that you got help.  Believe it or not, exercise can help you out too.

Take a deep breath and take it one step at a time.  Start out slow because you ultimately want to put something in place that is sustainable and not just a band-aid for now.  Start going out and walking with the baby.  You can even make it a family event with your SO.  The walking not only gets you started in exercising, but it's also good for you to get out and get some air and a change of environment. 

Next, tackle your diet.  Are you breastfeeding?  If you are, you have to take that into account when figuring out how much you should be eating.  You can go on line and calculate your BMR and this will give you a good idea of how many calories you should be eating a day.

Ditch sodas and sugary drinks and opt for water or even seltzer.  Ditch processed snacks and foods for more fruits and veggies and wholesome snacks.  Also start making small changes like switching out white flour breads and grains for more whole wheat ones.  Start baking or grilling or broiling more as opposed to frying your foods.  Cut back on your portions.

You CAN do this!  Feel free to PM me if you want.

ttcdawn
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:24 PM
well with the heat here no walking way to hot for dd :) but your right I keep thinking I need to jump back into p90x like I did before but that's just too much for me and i know that just hard to accept that kwim!?

no I don't bf, and never liked soda so we are good there im a water only kinda girl so guess that's good for me!

m down fall is FOOD I eat all damn day and its crap! chips,dip, wings, frozen meals, Mac and cheese, junk food, candy, pasta meals etc.

I also have portion control issues, like I made turkey spaghetti trying to be healthy... use an angel hair noodles so that they were thinner but I ended up eating 3 bowls of it!!!! it seems like no matter what I eat I can't get full I've tried all the tricks and tips that I know by eating higher protein in it doesn't work nuts peanut butter and things like that do not feel me up at all so I end up over eating on that too

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

The good thing is that you recognize all these things and KNOW that you need to do something and WANT to do something - that in and of itself is an accomplishment.

PPD can be really hard, so I'm glad that you got help.  Believe it or not, exercise can help you out too.

Take a deep breath and take it one step at a time.  Start out slow because you ultimately want to put something in place that is sustainable and not just a band-aid for now.  Start going out and walking with the baby.  You can even make it a family event with your SO.  The walking not only gets you started in exercising, but it's also good for you to get out and get some air and a change of environment. 

Next, tackle your diet.  Are you breastfeeding?  If you are, you have to take that into account when figuring out how much you should be eating.  You can go on line and calculate your BMR and this will give you a good idea of how many calories you should be eating a day.

Ditch sodas and sugary drinks and opt for water or even seltzer.  Ditch processed snacks and foods for more fruits and veggies and wholesome snacks.  Also start making small changes like switching out white flour breads and grains for more whole wheat ones.  Start baking or grilling or broiling more as opposed to frying your foods.  Cut back on your portions.

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:40 PM

I HATE it when it's simply too hot to enjoy anything outside!  Can you go maybe early in the morning or in the evenings?

It's good that you were never a soda drinker because it's a tough habit to break. 

Are drinking enough water?  Here is a little trick - if you feel compelled to snack, don't grab something right away.  Drink a glass of water and wait a few minutes and then ask yourself if you are hungry and really need that snack.  Also, get rid of the bad junk food and fill up the house with healthier snacks and foods.  Since it's hot, how about watermelons and frozen grapes?  Apple slices dipped in peanut butter are one of my favorites.

With the portions, when you eat put a reasonable portion on your plate and then put it all away.  Sometimes it's in our heads.  I know I do that.  In our house, we don't like having food go to waste so we feel compelled to eat all of it.  It's a mental challenge because we don't actually want to eat or need to eat it, but rather we THINK we should eat.

Don't ever think you aren't good enough to do something like p90x.  Most that start a workout like that aren't in optimal shape, but that's why you start - to GET into shape.  It's a work in progress.  If you feel like that workout is a bit too much for you at this time, there ARE others out there.  Have you considered maybe something like Slim in 6, which is lower impact but equally as effective.  I actually have a friend who started losing weight after giving birth by starting off with that workout first then she moved over to p90x.  I'm a Beachbody Coach, so if you DO have any questions about the workouts let me know.  I'm here to help!

Quoting ttcdawn:

well with the heat here no walking way to hot for dd :) but your right I keep thinking I need to jump back into p90x like I did before but that's just too much for me and i know that just hard to accept that kwim!?

no I don't bf, and never liked soda so we are good there im a water only kinda girl so guess that's good for me!

m down fall is FOOD I eat all damn day and its crap! chips,dip, wings, frozen meals, Mac and cheese, junk food, candy, pasta meals etc.

I also have portion control issues, like I made turkey spaghetti trying to be healthy... use an angel hair noodles so that they were thinner but I ended up eating 3 bowls of it!!!! it seems like no matter what I eat I can't get full I've tried all the tricks and tips that I know by eating higher protein in it doesn't work nuts peanut butter and things like that do not feel me up at all so I end up over eating on that too

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Hi!  you are in the right place! this groups is amazing- full of info, ideas and support.

start small, make some small goals things like drinking so much water a day, or moving so many min. a day or week, eating breakfast (if you don't already) ...whatever. Then as you go, you can build on those goals.  Take it one day at a time, and don't let one bad meal or bad day stop you from getting righ back to it. It will not ruin your efforts. Remember the scale will go up and down during this process- when it gets stuck or goes up turn that into fuel - use it to motivate you to keep going and prove it wrong!

Also, find a way of eating that works for you. I count calories and plan my days worth of food out every morning- 3 meals and 2 snacks. It keeps me on track. Some people eat clean, or paleo or whatever.

also, don't resort to using any pills or anything like that- they are a waste and you don't need them ;)

you CAN do this, just take it one step at  a time

doostica
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Just jump right into it! the sooner the better! You can do it hun! You can join "My Fitness Pal" Its free and they have tons of great resources and groups! I just jumped right into TurboFire at 18 months PP LOVE the workout, but eating good is key to any weigthloss or workout regimine! ANd in all honesty its WAY easier to lose the weight early as oppose to later after birth. *HUGS* You got this

ttcdawn
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 7:56 AM
thanks love, yeah I HATE cardio so it's hard for me to find something I like like I did p90x.... and those snacks sound wonderful! I'll have to go get some

I drink 80-100oz of water a day I always have water on me 24/7.

I don't know why I eat like I do, I cook all the time left overs always get eaten , I'm not stressed if they don't ( not being a snot but it's not like we have to stretch food)

and I just ordered hiphop abs and got it in and its just too much

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

I HATE it when it's simply too hot to enjoy anything outside!  Can you go maybe early in the morning or in the evenings?

It's good that you were never a soda drinker because it's a tough habit to break. 

Are drinking enough water?  Here is a little trick - if you feel compelled to snack, don't grab something right away.  Drink a glass of water and wait a few minutes and then ask yourself if you are hungry and really need that snack.  Also, get rid of the bad junk food and fill up the house with healthier snacks and foods.  Since it's hot, how about watermelons and frozen grapes?  Apple slices dipped in peanut butter are one of my favorites.

With the portions, when you eat put a reasonable portion on your plate and then put it all away.  Sometimes it's in our heads.  I know I do that.  In our house, we don't like having food go to waste so we feel compelled to eat all of it.  It's a mental challenge because we don't actually want to eat or need to eat it, but rather we THINK we should eat.

Don't ever think you aren't good enough to do something like p90x.  Most that start a workout like that aren't in optimal shape, but that's why you start - to GET into shape.  It's a work in progress.  If you feel like that workout is a bit too much for you at this time, there ARE others out there.  Have you considered maybe something like Slim in 6, which is lower impact but equally as effective.  I actually have a friend who started losing weight after giving birth by starting off with that workout first then she moved over to p90x.  I'm a Beachbody Coach, so if you DO have any questions about the workouts let me know.  I'm here to help!

Quoting ttcdawn:

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

ttcdawn
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 7:59 AM
hello thank you so much for your response, I was already thinking about get pills from my doctor :(

small goals are a good idea I seem overwhelmed by the idea of just starting over

Quoting charlotsomtimes:

Hi!  you are in the right place! this groups is amazing- full of info, ideas and support.

start small, make some small goals things like drinking so much water a day, or moving so many min. a day or week, eating breakfast (if you don't already) ...whatever. Then as you go, you can build on those goals.  Take it one day at a time, and don't let one bad meal or bad day stop you from getting righ back to it. It will not ruin your efforts. Remember the scale will go up and down during this process- when it gets stuck or goes up turn that into fuel - use it to motivate you to keep going and prove it wrong!

Also, find a way of eating that works for you. I count calories and plan my days worth of food out every morning- 3 meals and 2 snacks. It keeps me on track. Some people eat clean, or paleo or whatever.

also, don't resort to using any pills or anything like that- they are a waste and you don't need them ;)

you CAN do this, just take it one step at  a time

ttcdawn
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 8:01 AM
hey :) yes I'm part of mfp I'll do good for like three days then forget to do it or give up etc I'm full of pointless excuses I HATE cardio workouts I love weights which is why I liked p90x I cut out the cardio cds and did the weights only.

I'm 4 months pp from a c-section.

Quoting doostica:

Just jump right into it! the sooner the better! You can do it hun! You can join "My Fitness Pal" Its free and they have tons of great resources and groups! I just jumped right into TurboFire at 18 months PP LOVE the workout, but eating good is key to any weigthloss or workout regimine! ANd in all honesty its WAY easier to lose the weight early as oppose to later after birth. *HUGS* You got this

calsmom62
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 8:14 AM
try delaying having a second portion by washing your plate drying it and putting it away. brush your teeth. say. i wont have seconds till after i mop the kitchen floor and then it has to dry. little mind tricks to help you get over that false hunger. and use salad plates not. dinner plates.
ttcdawn
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 8:34 AM
2 moms liked this
ohhhh that's a great idea I love to clean so that's a good excuse THANK YOU!

Quoting calsmom62:

try delaying having a second portion by washing your plate drying it and putting it away. brush your teeth. say. i wont have seconds till after i mop the kitchen floor and then it has to dry. little mind tricks to help you get over that false hunger. and use salad plates not. dinner plates.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)