Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Ideas? support?

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 9:26 AM
  • 5 Replies

If you were eating low end of the range you were given most days, working out 1-3 hours a day 6 days a week

and had only lost 1.5 lbs in 5 weeks, what would you do?  *I am mid 170's now, so still could lose 20 lbs or more... and I have added piyo back into my weekly work outs ( so it's zumba 5-6 days, pilates one day and piyo one day and most weeks one day of that kind of thing at home mixed with using our weight machine)

I'm getting frustrated.  

For anyone who counts calories:

do you consider the weekly average of calories- or do you go day by day? meaning do you eat more when you work out harder/longer than when you don't?  I tend to stay low when I do less and higher when I do more. Should I just keep it even all week?

*no, my diet is not clean- but I eat better than before ...so I already know I will get that as an answer (to clean it up). 

***I realize I asked a question similar to this a couple days ago, but had barely any replies-and no one addressed the calorie question at the end 

by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 9:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
itsm3
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 1:25 PM

honestly, i don't count calories. i did it for about 2wks when i first started just to see where i was and what i tended to go over on and then tweaked it..then i stopped counting.

i eat a very balanced diet of fresh, wholesome foods only and eat everything in moderation (except sweets/junk - i never have any of that).  i eat 5x/day and front-load my carbs. my meal ratios are about 50% protein, 30% healthy carbs, 20% healthy fats + tons of fresh veggies and plenty of water daily.  only 1 or 2 servings of fruit.

i exercise hard 5-6x/week which to me, is the key (along with my clean diet). 

you need to clean up your diet in order to see results because you can't train your way out of a crappy diet.  many people eat more than they realize; those processed foods are very caloric dense and offer no valuable nutrition that sustains you for long periods so you end up eating more.

most importantly, i listen to my body.  those numbers (BMR/caloric target) are just *guidelines*.  people often forget that and use it like the bible.  there are days i eat less because i'm not that hungry so don't force it.  there are days i feel hungrier so i eat because my body is telling me something.  i'm guessing i eat somewhere around 2000cals/day but again, i don't count.  i have noticed when i workout really hard, i'm hungrier so i feed my body; these past 2wks i've been doing double workouts so i'm hungrier when dinner comes so i eat more (dinner is usually my lightest meal).

while it's good to use those numbers as a reference, it's also important to listen to your body.  just make sure to eat properly and clean and workout in a way where it's challenging for you.  if you just do a "whatever" workout ie. you just cruise, you won't be seeing any changes.  the workouts you do should tire you out and you should feel close to, if not, exhausted at the end of it.

cj123573
by Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 1:50 PM

I would change up my workout if I were plateau-ing.  Likely add more weight training. 

I'm going to kind of go with what itsm3 suggested and count calories for a little while, then experiment with some recipes to see where they fall in the caloric range and work from there.  I, personally, am too structured and if I count calories daily, I'll rely on it entirely too much.  I just need to gauge where I'm at and go from there. 

It would make sense to focus more on weekly calorie intake because some days your body will need more, some less.  That would also seem to be a better "long term" mentality...overall eat really well, but you won't have to beat yourself up over a birthday dinner or a poor decision while on a road trip. 

I'm 38 weeks pregnant and just visualizing my road back which is why I say that this is what I'm "going" to do (just a disclaimer)

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 8:30 PM

BUMP!

bookangel09
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 11:39 PM

I don't necessairly count calories, but I definitely eat as healthy as possible (most days). As far as your question goes about counting calories, I would just go day by day. About how many calories do you eat on a day that you don't work out?

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Quoting bookangel09:

I don't necessairly count calories, but I definitely eat as healthy as possible (most days). As far as your question goes about counting calories, I would just go day by day. About how many calories do you eat on a day that you don't work out?

Days I do less-low end of my range- and usually stick to the middle  of it unless I do 2-3 hours of zumba then I will go higher

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN